walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Compleating Andy on the Bookle

Compleating Andy on the Bookle

Postby Jaxter » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:32 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 23/06/2017

Time taken: 3.35 hours

Distance: 8.14 km

Ascent: 846m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Andy's 282nd munro - this was supposed to be more of a party and then less of a party...eventually it ended up being just Andy and I on a misty but largely dry Friday morning. Both of us had commitments later so headed off early. We parked up at Altnafeadh - much less busy than usual!

We headed down the well known path with good views back to Beinn a' Chrulaiste

It had been a long drive up from Glasgow after a couple of cups of tea, so I let Andy get ahead while I stopped for a pee :lol:

It wasn't a difficult walk and we made good progress up the corrie which gave us good views back the way, despite the cloud

As we climbed higher the Blackwater reservoir came out of the cloud

As we reached the business end of the corrie the gradient steepened and the underfoot conditions worsened (perhaps there was a path but we lost it :roll: )

Look at the size of my....buttress :lol:

Andy considering the wisdom of this :lol:

Reaching the bealach we were sort of into the clouds but distant shapes were visible along the ridge and towards Glen Etive

The Aonach Eagach just hiding

Buachaille Etive Beag with Bidean hiding behind

Once we'd got our breath back we continued up Stob Dearg - a good path and an easy ascent which soon gave us glimpses of views across Rannoch Moor

There were a succession of false summits I didn't remember from before :lol:

Looking down Glencoe

The false summits meant that I got several photos of Andy reaching the "summit" :lol:

And there he was - Andy on the summit of Stob Dearg - Number 282 8)

The three-eyed raven - clearly winter was coming :lol:

Rannoch Moor

The three-eyed raven surveys Beinn a' Chrulaiste and the Blackwater

Me and Andy on the summit

A celebratory dram - and why not :lol:

At this point we decided to beat a hasty retreat as the weather was coming in and we didn't really fancy getting soaked :lol: We slid our way down all sorts of horrible scree on the way down which was even worse than our route up :lol:

Back at the bottom Buachaille Etive Beag was still clear

And Buachaille Etive Mor still looking largely clear

The heavens opened shortly after and we were glad we hadn't carried onto the rest of the ridge! I shot back to Glasgow and made it to work in time (although in my shorts and t-shirt :lol: ) with promises to meet up and celebrate with other friends over the weekend 8)

Big_Bookle_Andy_s_compleation_.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland