walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Curved Ridge and a bivvy on top of The Buachaille

Curved Ridge and a bivvy on top of The Buachaille

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:43 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 25/08/2019

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Video of fun :

Curved Ridge on Buachaille Etive Mor is one of my favourite scrambles and also one of the best ways to the summit of this iconic mountain. A short weather window appeared, so I packed my bag and headed for Glencoe.

In addition to the scramble I was also wanting to wild camp on the summit. However a few things drove me to search out my 15 year old bivvy bag! One was weight and the second was I knew trying to find a space large enough to pitch a tent would be challenging on the summit of Stob Dearg!

ImageBuachaille Etive Mor Volcano by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageRANNOCH WALL by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

So off I went without my trusted SCARP1 and I was soon on my way round the Buachaille heading for Curved Ridge. Having been up here many times, I decided on a few slight deviations from the normal route but was soon arriving back into the sunshine on the summit.

The views were outstanding as always and with it being a little later than usual, I also had the shadow of the mountain casting itself on Rannoch Moor to enhance things a little

A short look around and I soon found a small place to bivvy and set about the short process of getting the bivvy ready – a definite advantage of bivvying is the ease of set up!!

Imagedusk bivvy site by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Another reason I wanted to go back to the bivvy bag, was I was hoping for a starry night as I wanted to spend the night under the stars! Alas this wasn’t to be the night as the cloud rolled in  however stay tuned as I made this a reality a few weeks later – vlog in editing as we speak!!

Imagekingshouse buachaille lit up by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imageme on the buachaille by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Anyway , an un eventful sunrise saw me heading back down the walker path and I was back at the car nice and early before breakfast 
wilkiemurray

Re: Curved Ridge and a bivvy on top of The Buachaille

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:18 pm

Superb :shock:
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland