walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BEN DRONAIG BOTHY - DECEMBER 2008

BEN DRONAIG BOTHY - DECEMBER 2008

Postby magicdin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:56 pm

Route description: Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich, Lurg Mhòr

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Dronaig

Date walked: 28/12/2008

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1450m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having read Kinley's recent retrospective report on Streap/Beinn an Tuim thought I would post this report on a walk I had at that same time in the wonderful winter weather we were experiencing.

Ben Dronaig Bothy – December 2008

Drove up to Strathcarron on the morning of 27/12/2008 getting there at 12 noon
Went round to Lochcarron for a coffee and to buy a few things before walking into the bothy.
Took just under three hours to walk in from Attadale House on a good track all the way.
Track would be cycleable but with a fair bit of pushing especially at the very steep climb at Loch na Caillich
A beautiful frosty winters day.
Had the fine bothy to myself that night – my time was spent for the next few hours trying to get going and tend a fire.
There was log cuttings in the bothy but they were just to cold to catch – really regretted not buying a pack of kindling in Lochcarron stores. :(
Well below freezing – used ice axe to break ice in burn for water.
Had my meal and eventually just after eight gave up with the fire and settled down in the sleeping bag.

Saturday 28/12/2008
Even colder this morning – decided best just to set off about 8 am.
Checking my rucsac for the hill I discovered I had left my crampons in the car – DOH ! :oops:
The hills on the walk in had looked clear of snow but with the freezing temperatures I wondered just how icy they might be.
So with a wee bit of trepidation set off in thick freezing fog at 8.30 am.
First part of the walk was up the “controversial” bulldozed track up towards Loch Calavie.
This track does allow quick progress and I continued until I passed Allt Coire Calavie before striking uphill.
Good enough going on frosty and frozen grass – I was soon nearing the bealach and suddenly this.

As I climbed out of the mist I could see that the hills were well clear of snow but the lower slopes of Lurg Mhor were white with frost.
Some photos from the bealach
Skye
Skye zoomed
Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich

Set up for Lurg Mhor to get the frosty hillside out of the way first.
I was lucky the hill was just frosty but dry enough – no patches of ice which might had stymied me.
After the first wee rise from the bealach it was easy going up grassy slopes
Soon at the top where I sat for a while taking in the views – what a wonderful day. :D
I did’nt go out to the top Meall Mor however – did that on my first visit to this hill
Meall Mor
Sgurr Choinnich - Bowman's Pass - Sgurr na Conbhaire
An Teallach in distance
An Teallach zoomed
Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan
Carn Eighe and Mam Sodhail
Beinn Sgritheall

Picked my way back down carefully to the bealach and up Bidein a’Choire Sheasgaich.
Easy going now on dry grass and path.
Good thing about approaching from the south is that the climbs from the bealach are short enough.
Really pleasant weather now – still cold of course but a bit of warmth from the winter sunshine.
Lurg Mhor
Glen Strathfarrar hills
Achnashellach hills
Achnashellach zoomed
Beinn Eighe
Eventually dragged myself away and made a more direct descent towards Loch Calavie.
A bit of a mistake as I ran into some ice patches.But I was careful to pick a line and soon back at track.

Have to admit I swithered about Beinn Dronaig but as it was the last hill (Munro/Corbett) in this immediate area decided to go for it.
Steep grass to climb and now a bit tired – it was just one of those plods – but my oh my it sure was worth it.
Sgurr na Lapaich - An Riabhachan - An Socach
Strathfarrar again
Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich - Lurg Mhor
Acnashellach - Torridon
Skye again

Did’nt take too long to drop down to the bothy – again I was lucky that the slope was’nt frozen.
MENTAL NOTE – DON’T FORGET CRAMPONS IN WINTER TIME
ESPECIALLY WITH A THREE HOUR WALK INTO A BOTHY !!
REALISED JUST HOW LUCKY I HAD BEEN WITH THE GROUND CONDITIONS :roll:
As I descended I could see a group of walkers heading towards Loch an Laoigh.
Thought they may have been heading for Bearnais bothy.
As it was when I got back down about 4 pm their gear was in the bothy.
I was having a cup of tea and getting my pack sorted out when they came back into the bothy.
A group of six who were on a three day backpacking trip – heading for Maol Bhuidhe and back out via Glen Elchaig.
Ben Dronaig Lodge and Bothy
Left at 4.30 pm for the walk back out – still clear and frosty did’nt feel the need for a headtorch.
Back at the car for 7.30 pm – minus ten on the car thermometer.
Quick change and along to the Strathcarron Hotel.
On asking if they had a room the owner told me that they had been busy all weekend with a folk music festival and that the rooms needed cleaning.
I must have looked a bit of a pathetic sight because he soon relented and asked if I could give him half an hour to get a room ready.
Great - what a relief – an example of Highland hospitality – went through to the bar for a meal and a pint. :)
The music festival had just finished with a Spanish band but they and some of the locals were carrying on with a bit of a session.
After my meal and with the room ready up for a shower and change and back down for a couple of pints to listen to the music.
So tired though that I didnae last too long however.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A really memorable couple of days – Thanks again due to the Strathcarron Hotel. :thumbup:

Next day stopped off in Glen Shiel and up and down the graham Biod an Fhithich on the way home.
Last edited by magicdin on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Re: BEN DRONAIG BOTHY - DECEMBER 2008

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Really stunning report magicdin - how did I miss it? Very posh bothy isn't it - quality toilet seat too :lol:

ps. I had to delete the OS map you posted as it is illegal to post map images like that online. If you want it back you can get much the same result by using the 'Draw route' button and drawing the route on a map using our tool, and then pressing to add it back to your report. That way the Ordnance Survey get paid the money by us, so it is all cosher :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby magicdin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:38 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Really stunning report magicdin - how did I miss it? Very posh bothy isn't it - quality toilet seat too :lol:

ps. I had to delete the OS map you posted as it is illegal to post map images like that online. If you want it back you can get much the same result by using the 'Draw route' button and drawing the route on a map using our tool, and then pressing to add it back to your report. That way the Ordnance Survey get paid the money by us, so it is all cosher :D

yes and the flushing system is ace also :shifty:

oops :oops: - did'nt know that about the maps - won't do it again

I am having a bit of a problem with "Draw Route" - can access/use it OK on my home laptop
But on Works PC can't view routes in reports or enter route into my own reports - any ideas what problem could be ?
I suppose I should just post my reports at home - but it is handier at work :?
magicdin
Rambler

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Does the map page work for you at work at all (when logged in)?

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/

Can only think they have blocked javascript but that would stop lots of websites working properly. What about the map of Scotland on our homepage - does that light up as you hover over the areas - if not then that is what the reason is - sorry :(
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby magicdin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Does the map page work for you at work at all (when logged in)?

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/

Can only think they have blocked javascript but that would stop lots of websites working properly. What about the map of Scotland on our homepage - does that light up as you hover over the areas - if not then that is what the reason is - sorry :(

I cannot view map in reports but can open in gps planner
I have just added Draw Route to my report but cannot view it - can you ?
Homepage map does light up for the different areas !
Will check out javascript on my PC - this has only cropped up in the last couple of weeks
magicdin
Rambler

Postby monty » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Magic report magic... :D Some excellent pictures with an inversion or two. superb, and I can see your trip report map.
monty

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:11 pm

Yes, your drawn route appears fine to me :thumbup:

That means you can see other people's maps if you want to, by clicking on the 'Open in GPS planner' link.

OK if draw route works, it may be just that they have blocked Multimap Bing maps, which we use for showing the maps in the walk reports themselves (Can you see maps using http://www.multimap.com/ ?). If you can see maps on there, then it must be that the browser doesn't allow something called iframes which we use to put maps in walk reports.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby magicdin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:25 pm

OK thanks Paul - can view Bing Multimaps - really struggling hard to keep up with all this technology :shock:
Not a great inconvenience - can still see maps/routes in gps planner
might give our IT consultant a rocket - err no wait a minute - I'm supposed to be working :silent:

Cheers also Monty :thumbup:
magicdin
Rambler

Postby malky_c » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:24 pm

Absolutely stunning - what a way to spend the time between Christmas and New Year. Really doubt I would get an overnight pass out at this time of the year. Shame, as it is usually wasted lounging around and overeating. Still need to go over to Meall Mhor (Beinn Dronaig as well, but I have a plan for that).

I remember that weather well - was out on Mount Battock a couple of days later. Weather was surprisingly gloomy down in Dundee, but on the high ground it was stunning.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby walk aboot » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:45 pm

Great report and photos, magicdin. Thanks for posting retrospectively, it is good to get out walking between Xmas and New Year.
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby magicdin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:49 pm

walk aboot wrote:Great report and photos, magicdin. Thanks for posting retrospectively, it is good to get out walking between Xmas and New Year.

cheers walk aboot - it was a memorable day - entered it into my diary first but thought it was worth posting

always try to get a few days out at that time of year - beats the telly - grub - booze (whit :shock: )
magicdin
Rambler

Postby walk aboot » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Me too, but our (mates and I) planned tripped to Inverness was cancelled last year 'cause the road was closed...ended up spending a fortune in the sales instead :oops: :D
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby icemandan » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:59 pm

Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich (or Ben Cheesecake as someone in Bearnais bothy called it) is my favourite unspellable munro. (Haven't yet done Sgurr a' Ghreadaidh though). An engaging ridge path that reveals itself a few yards at a time, small lochs, short scrambles and a tidy pointed top, the only downside is the sea of bog and tussocks that you have to cross to get started.

PS If anyone finds a very old mobile phone on the top, it might be mine.

PSS Is Bearnais the only bothy named after a sauce?
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:55 am

Just found this cracker & thought it was worth a bump back up.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland