walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kicking off Summer on Arran!

Kicking off Summer on Arran!

Postby Jaxter » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:24 pm

Route description: Cìr Mhòr and Beinn Tarsuinn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tarsuinn, Cìr Mhòr

Date walked: 02/07/2019

Time taken: 8.3 hours

Distance: 28.03 km

Ascent: 1505m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

School was out, holidays were here and it was time to enjoy myself. Before heading north for the summer I decided to have a trip to Arran – the weather was looking cracking so it was worth the early start, although when I collapsed onto the 6.45am train it didn’t feel like it just yet!

However, a cup of tea and bacon roll on the ferry followed by the wind in my face was making me feel a bit less like a zombie 8)

Holy Isle

The other ferry

I was off the ferry; felt fairly inferior next to all the cyclists in their lycra (although that had been me about 2 weeks earlier :lol: ) and headed off along the road, took the String Road for a few metres before taking the road to Glen Rosa. This became a track after the camp site although the ground was fine for cycling on the mountain bike.

Ahead on Glen Rosa

As I approached the bridge the going became less good but still largely cyclable

Finally a few metres before the bridge I had to get off, pushed to the bench and dumped the bike in a pile of bracken. Hopefully I’d remember which bit of jungle I’d left it in later :lol:

Looking up the glen to Cir Mhor – wow 8)

I had a swift rearrange – largely removal of helmet and addition of poles before crossing the bridge and setting off up the side of the burn

It was steep uphill but on a good path and I gained height quickly and giving great views back down the glen

Looking back to the bridge

Next ferry coming

As I gained height I could see waterfalls in the Garbh Allt below me

Out the top of steepest bit the ground became boggier and I had to hop around a bit to avoid getting wet feet – I’d come out in trail shoes as it was too hot to imagine wearing boots! At least I had a good view back to Goat Fell!

Beinn Nuis and Beinn Tarsuinn behind the waterfalls

Waterfall – I was going to have to cross this burn soon!

The ridge ahead was looking brilliant and I couldn’t wait to get on it 8)

Crossing the burn wasn’t as bad as it had looked – but did involve a bit of a drop into a trench :lol:

Once across the burn there were again some damp underfoot conditions but fortunately enough bits of rock and dry grass to hop across relatively unscathed 8) And the views back to Brodick and the Holy Isle were worth it

The impressive Beinn Nuis

It was steep uphill and I had to keep stopping or slowing down so I didn’t injure myself…but the views out towards Cir Mhor were starting to get really exciting

Beinn Nuis around to Goat Fell 8)

The A’Chir ridge and Cir Mhor

As I climbed the views back the way improved too 8)

A’Chir, Cir Mhor and Goat Fell

As I hit the ridge and started to climb upwards the first of the wee squalls hit – it was easy to hide from as it was so windy that I just stood in the lee of a big rock :lol:

A few minutes later the shower had passed and I was on the pointed summit of Beinn Nuis – a fabulous viewpoint along the ridge ahead

Beinn Tarsuinn, Cir Mhor and Goat Fell

Goat Fell 8)

Along the ridge looked fantastic – it was so windy I didn’t want to hang around too long :lol:

Heading down the path it was time to get moving – I couldn’t get over how big and impressive the rocks here are

Beinn Bharrain and Meall nam Damh

Looking back to Beinn Nuis

Giant rocks

Ailsa Craig 8)

Heading up towards Beinn Tarsuinn itself was on an easy grassy ridge but the rocks on the edge were amazing 8)

The impressive summit of Beinn Tarsuinn 8)

Goat Fell looking incredible from this angle

I thought this looked like a man’s face at the time – turns out it’s the well known Old Man of Tarsuinn :lol:

My first thought on arriving at the summit of Beinn Tarsuinn was that it was the perfect summit camp spot! My second thought was f***ing hell it’s windy :lol:

Giant crevasse

I wasn’t quite sure which bit was the summit – looking back from the 2nd one, which was just as windy as the first :roll:

Goat Fell

A’ Chir, Cir Mhor and Caisteal Abhail

Beinn Tarsuinn summit 8)

I hid behind a rock for a few minutes just to get out of the wind – it was a relief not to be battered just for a short time! Then I was off again…dropping down towards the bealach with the A’ Chir ridge, impressive ahead

I made a bit of a mess of getting down this part of the ridge – being short coupled with trying to be careful not to lower myself down and risk aggravating the injury made for very slow progress and lots of route changes :roll: There was probably an easier way.. :crazy:

On the way down another wee squall hit forcing me to hide behind a rock for another couple of minutes. This gave me the opportunity for a quick change – it was a bit windy and cold for the shorts :lol:

At the bealach I took the pussy path – I’d love to give the A’Chir ridge a go sometime but this was not the day for it! I depressingly dropped a fair amount of height but it was a relatively decent path and the views up the slabs were impressive. But most importantly – it was out of the wind 8) :D

Paps of Jura 8)

Looking back towards Beinn Tarsuinn

As I climbed back onto the ridge I could see out to Beinn Bharrain and Meall nam Damh again – these hills look fantastic 8)

Looking back along the A’Chir ridge

Ahead to Cir Mhor 8)

Goat Fell looking, if possible, even more impressive 8)

The Holy Isle poking out between ridges

Ahead to Caisteal Abhail – I was considering doing something daft at this point as it looked so impressive :lol:

I bumped into a couple here – they said it was windy up top :shock: But the sun was out and the views were good!

As I climbed higher the views got better and better, back to A’Chir, Beinn Tarsuinn and Beinn a’ Chliabain

It wasn’t a difficult climb, the gradient wasn’t even that bad so I had no excuse for stopping for photos. But I did anyway :lol:

Caisteal Abhail again

The final ascent – a slight scramble up slabs

Glen Rosa

This felt a lot more precarious than it looks :roll:

Reaching the top I dumped my stuff and sat down to enjoy the views – and what views 8)

Beinn Tarsuinn

Zoom of the witches cleft

Looking down Glen Sannox to the Cumbraes

Beinn Tarsuinn

Glen Rosa

Bit windy for a Jaxter so this is the best I could do 8)

It was the perfect spot for a wee sandwich and relax 8)

Climb around a wee precarious outcrop got me a great view of Caisteal Abhail – common sense had caught up with me and I decided to leave it for another day 8)
Excuse the wind :shock: :lol:

After a long sit I decided I ought to get going – it was a long way back down Glen Rosa for the ferry and I didn’t want to be cutting it too fine :lol: These cool wee rocks intrigued me!

As I dropped down I caught a final glimpse of Caisteal Abhail – unfinished business for another time 8)

The path down to Glen Rosa was incredibly steep and I was trying to be very careful with my knees; a perfect opportunity to stop and take photos of Cir Mhor from the side – incredible rocks that changed with practically every step 8)

Looking back up to A’Chir

Cir Mhor 8)

The Rosa Slabs on Goat Fell

Cir Mhor again 8)

Looking down Glen Rosa – beautiful but an awfully long way :lol:

Looking back again

Once down the steep section it was much easier walking – the path was good except for one boggy wee section as the path from the saddle joined and I made much faster progress.

It was hot work down in the glen – not that I was complaining about the lack of wind!!!

Nice wee waterfall

Cir Mhor – cant get over how amazing this hill looks 8)

Some careful footwork required to avoid this wee guy

Back at the bridge it was time for a wee bit of rejigging – poles away, helmet and bike out. And what a view 8)

I had ages before the ferry so took my time sorting things and soaking up the views before jumping back on the bike – I hadn’t really noticed any uphill on the way out but I barely had to pedal back out, on the track anyway!

Looking back to Beinn Nuis

Goat Fell – not so exciting from this angle!

I got to Brodick in time for a wee visit to the Coop to stock up on orange juice and ice cream – the essentials :lol:

A unicone – very pretty and also very tasty 8)

Here comes my ride 8)

Eventually on the ferry it was absolutely stunning and I stayed out most of the way back for the views 8)

Looking back on a wonderful day on Arran – definitely be back 8)

Tarsuinn and Cir Mhor.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Kicking off Summer on Arran!

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:58 am

Fantastic photos. I've just come back from a trip to the island, only managed Goatfell in my time but I'll be back.

Was watching someone doing a summit camp on Beinn Tarsuinn so you're not the only one who thought that was a good spot.

Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:39 am

Quite a visual feast there! What a magical place Arran is!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:34 pm

Marty_JG wrote:Fantastic photos. I've just come back from a trip to the island, only managed Goatfell in my time but I'll be back.

Was watching someone doing a summit camp on Beinn Tarsuinn so you're not the only one who thought that was a good spot.

Cheers - yeah I know other folk who have camped up there. It's definitely on the list but there are so many places on that list :lol:

Alteknacker wrote:Quite a visual feast there! What a magical place Arran is!

It's wonderful isn't it! And so easy (for me!!) to get to 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby rockhopper » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:46 pm

Enjoyed that - nice way to start the summer :thumbup:
Oddly I've only been to Arran twice - 1985 for Goatfell and the second time was for BT, CA and CM....with (not surprisingly ?) a summit camp on Beinn Tarsuinn. Looking up Glen Rosa makes for an impressive sight. Thanks :)

019 - Arran 19-20sep2016.JPG
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Jaxter » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:38 am

rockhopper wrote:Enjoyed that - nice way to start the summer :thumbup:
Oddly I've only been to Arran twice - 1985 for Goatfell and the second time was for BT, CA and CM....with (not surprisingly ?) a summit camp on Beinn Tarsuinn. Looking up Glen Rosa makes for an impressive sight. Thanks :)

019 - Arran 19-20sep2016.JPG

Just to rub it in :wink: :lol: :lol: definitely one for the list though, and has been for ages, that looks incredible! :clap:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby allangilly » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:53 pm

Arran is my old stomping ground - must have been over these hills dozens of times, in all weathers. Cir Mhor is one pointy summit - not surprised you didn't manage your trademark pose in the wind! Your photos are superb and I'm sure you'll go back and explore the huge variety of great routes that these hills offer.
Cheers.
allangilly

Munros:164   Corbetts:147
Fionas:28   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   Islands:37

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland