walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Would I do it, Alligin?!

Would I do it, Alligin?!

Postby JimboJim » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:56 pm

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 25/08/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1110m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Achnashellach Classic Day 2 - Beinn Alligin 25.8.19
Tom na Gruagaich and Sgurr Mor. 6.25miles, 1110m ascent, 6hrs. One of the best.
Beinn Alligin 058_1024_655.JPG
Sgurr Dubh, Loch Clair, on way round to Torridon, back of 7am.

Enjoyed my trip up Moruisg, the previous day, followed by a beer at Strathcarron and Gerry’s Hostel, though sleep wasn’t the best that night. Anyway, it meant I was up fairly sharp the next morning, along with the other two sharing the dormitory. Appearances out the window seemed to match the forecast, so things were looking all set, as I took the drive round to Torridon. Absolutely stunning scenery!
Beinn Alligin 061_1024_662.JPG
Beinn Eighe from the roadside.
Beinn Alligin 062_1024_214.JPG
Sgurr Dubh, Liathach and Beinn Eighe.

Despite wanting an early start, just had to stop for some pics. Finally got to the car park and got togged up, without too much interference from the midgies. Only a couple of other cars here, at this point. On return, there were no spaces! Took obligatory photo of the waterfall and got on my way, opting for the clockwise option.
Beinn Alligin 204_1024_768.JPG
Nice view to start/end with.

It was a cracking morning and before long the first views of the day were beginning to get the excitement rising, looking into Coir nan Laogh, the top of Sgurr Mor and the Horns, emerging. The “Mountain of Beauty,” is well named. The going up the corrie was indeed pleasant, though the temperature was steadily rising. There would be no drinks returning back to the car today!
Beinn Alligin 070_1024_694.JPG
First views of Sgurr Mor and Horns look interesting.
Beinn Alligin 077_1067_800_1024_768.JPG
Progressing into Coir na Laogh.
Beinn Alligin 081_1024_768.JPG
Looking back down Coir na Laogh. Maol Cheann-dearg, centre background.

Eventually things flattened out a bit and before long I was at the summit, Tom na Gruagaich, 922m. Just under a couple of hours, I think. The views were superb, whichever direction, but for the first time, it struck me how formidable the Horns appeared! Still hadn’t seen anyone else, either. Not so sure about this now!? Took too many photo’s as usual, before heading off for the second Munro, Sgurr Mor, but with niggling doubts as to whether I would go all the way round.
69177761_705708299843042_714687785029599232_n_1024_768.jpg
Me, summit of Tom na Gruagaich. Sgurr Mor beyond.
Beinn Alligin 089_1024_447.JPG
Looking over to Sgurr Mor and the Horns, from Tom na Gruagaich. Beginning to have second thoughts about trying the circuit, especially as no one else to be seen :)
Beinn Alligin 090_1024_232.JPG
Pano south, from Tom na Gruagaich.

Was not so sure about even getting as far as the second top now. There’s a few minor scrambly bits, descending to the bealach, but nothing too scary, even for me. Had a tentative look down the Black Cleft, before the final wee climb onto the top layer of Sgurr Mor, where the panorama of views continues to almost overwhelm the senses, especially on such a fine day. Wow!
Beinn Alligin 106_1067_800_1024_768.JPG
The Eag Dubh or Black Cleft.

Beinn Alligin 099_1024_768.JPG
Sgurr Mor.
Beinn Alligin 104_1024_768.JPG
Looking back to Tom na Gruagaich, 922m.
Beinn Alligin 114_1024_768.JPG
Back to Tom na Gruagaich, from Sgurr Mor.
Beinn Alligin 118_1024_768.JPG
The Horns, with Beinn Dearg, beyond.

By now I could see one, or two other walkers. One chap was trying the by-pass round the Horns, with his wee dog. Kept a close eye to see how he got on. Subsequently spotted he had turned back. Don't know the reason, but for me the cautionary note sounded on WH's, was now enough to convince me I was not going that way! I was desperately keen to do the circuit if possible and with a few other folk around, I headed steeply down to get a closer look.
Beinn Alligin 107_1067_800_1024_768.JPG
Summit cairn, Sgurr Mor, 986m.
Beinn Alligin 108_1024_697.JPG
"The Horns." Spotted someone ahead so decided I'd give it a try.
Beinn Alligin 119_1024_196.JPG
Pano north.
Beinn Alligin 121_1024_295.JPG
Pano west.

Met a girl who was running round in the other direction :shock: Had a brief chat and was more reassured about giving it a try. Had one wee bit sweaty moment scrambling up the first Horn. Should probably have went back a bit and stuck to more solid ground than the loose stuff I grappled my way up. Met three lads heading down and pointed where not to go. Indeed, after that met a succession of folks as I headed along the ridge. Such a nice, chatty lot you are - or, were. Many couples, or the opposite gender. Was a bit surprised at so many heading the wrong way :lol: Funny how they were thinking much the same about me :D
Beinn Alligin 156_1024_691.JPG
A couple on one of the Horns.

Beinn Alligin 136_1068_800_1024_767.JPG
The girl on the left was running the route.
Beinn Alligin 143_1024_768.JPG
Across to Baosbheinn.
Beinn Alligin 152_1024_768.JPG
Looking back to Sgurr Mor.
Beinn Alligin 155_1024_768.JPG
Liathach in the distance.

Eventually descended from the last Horn and made my way to the final steep descent. Reckon it would not be so easy to do so in poor vis, despite a few cairns to mark the route and that descent is indeed steep, requiring full concentration. Was quite happy to be back on the flat stuff with a good path out. Lots of folk about now. Passed a German couple. with their large dog. Back at the car in almost exactly 6 hours, though sprinted the last stretch :lol: By the time, I was set to go, the German fellow, can't mind his name, asked for a lift back to his campervan at Beinn Eighe, but rather than see him have to drive back, took his partner and dog along too.
Beinn Alligin 175_1024_681.JPG
Yours truly.

Enjoyed the talk of our magnificent day in the hills. And of course, yes, I'd love to do it Alligin :lol:
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland