walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a' Ghlo and the sound of silence

Beinn a' Ghlo and the sound of silence

Postby Grisu » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 12/07/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 1618m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The nice report of nigheandonn Beinn a' Ghlo and the wrong way down remembered me of my walk two years ago and motivated me to document my memories eventually. Of course, I remembered at once vividly the long struggle over the rough and muddy ground on the way out but the most impressive memory I have is that of the sound of silence on my way from Carn Liath to Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain.
It was my first year that I have started walking on my own and after I have managed some munros in different kind of weather during the last days, I was quite confident that I could manage this walk, pretty much encouraged by the very good weatherforecast, and still a bit uneasy about the length and the completely unknown terrain I gave it a try. The description didn't sound too difficult after all.
I parked my car at a parking in Middlebridge which was quite a distance away from the parking of the start mentioned in the description. Before I have decided to park at Middlebridge I have checked the area and passed several gates with places where cars were parking, but I was not sure which one was the right parking and whether I was allowed to park there at all. But this is my usual confusion at the start which seems to become a sort of habit meanwhile, an annoying one, of course. Only on my way back I figured out which one was the right parking. However, I was lucky: Only a few minutes after I have started my walk a young man in a landrover offered me a lift. He was on his way to the Farm at Monzie where he was working as a ranger and he dropped me off at the gate with the sign Shinagag. This was very kind, because it saved me at least around 3 km on this already very hot morning.
DSC00245690.jpg

On my walk along the track something suddenly caught my attention and I took a picture of which looked like a little hill surrounded by mist. However, it looked a bit odd and it took me a while until I discovered that there was no hill below the mist which looks quite amazing.
DSC00253php690.jpg
dome-shaped mist

DSC00256php690.jpg
Carn Liath with its scar-like path

I found the ascent quite long - as almost everything on this walk :wink: and despite the parked cars I have passed I only saw three walkers ahead of me when I have reached the foot of Carn Liath.
DSC00261php690.jpg
Lovely view towards the south during the ascent

Soon it became quite steep so that I was glad when I finally reached the first summit where I met one of the three walkers who took a picture of me adding a decent stone to the already huge cairn :wink:
DSC00270php690.jpg
Summit N° 1: Carn Liath

The views from the summit had been great. I got really excited when I figured out the mountains of Glen Coe bringing back nice memories of my first munros two years ago. The man wasn't sure and couldn't confirm, but what else can it be, I wonder?
DSC00266php690.jpg
Great views towards the mountains of Glen Coe

And the sight of the massiv ridge ahead with its gentle curving lines was very impressive.
DSC00271php690.jpg
The ridge

Reassured by some explanation about the direction I had to follow and the fact that the path was clearly visible, I resumed my walk.
After a while I suddenly realized the peculiar silence and I stopped walking for a moment. Only on Dartmoor, I remembered, I have experienced this absolute silence before. I continued walking in a slower pace, listening to this amazing silence and suddenly I had the sensation of being out of time and space and it seemed as if my body has opened up and all my senses have been absorbed by this silence and beyond, tension released with each step and breath - an unforgettable experience.
DSC00276php690.jpg
the sound of silence was very impressive on this part of the walk

Then, three hours from the start I proudly have reached my second munro of the day.
DSC00287php690.jpg
Summit cairn of Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain

DSC00293php690.jpg
Outlook towards Carn nan Garbh, trigpoint and cairn are clearly visible as little spots

DSC00295php690.jpg
Down to the Bealach an Fhiodha

After I have passed the Bealach an Fhiodha I met the two other walkers I have seen on the ascent to Carn Liath, they were coming down from Carn nan Gabhar. Apart from these three walkers I have seen nobody else so far, so when I reached the last summit I was very surprised to see other walkers around there, wondering where they have come from out of the sudden. But still it was not too busy, so that I was undisturbed on the broad and stoney summit.
DSC00298php690.jpg
Trigpoint of Carn nan Garbh with view towards the cairn

DSC00301php690.jpg
managed!

DSC00308php690.jpg
Loch Loch

DSC00313php690.jpg
Glen Tillt and the Cairngorms

When I started the descent I was glad to see some people obviously heading down as well.
I was a bit worried about the way out because the description was not very clear to me. So I clinged to the map and kept an eye on the people in front of me but I was not able to catch up with them and from time to time I lost them out of sight.
DSC00319php690.jpg
Following some walkers descending towards the Bealach an Fhiodha

DSC00321php690.jpg
The looong way out - I don't understand how I could have missed the path to the right

The way back was really rough and oh, sooo MUDDY!!!
DSC00322php690.jpg

I struggled after this long walking day and it was not easy to find a proper place to cross Allt Bealach an Fhiodha without risking to slide and fall. All the time I saw some walkers on the far side of the burn, wondering were they have managed to cross it. Only now, after I have reread the description and compared it with the line on the map, I notice what has confused me: I have kept to the left at the spring of Allt Bealach an Fhiodha in order to follow the line on the map :roll: ; so I struggled along on the north side. However, I managed the crossing eventually.
DSC00323php690.jpg
The crossing of Allt Beallach an Fhiodha

DSC00324php690.jpg
Challenging crossing of Allt Coire na Saobhaidh

DSC00325php690.jpg
The very last challenge and the line of a propper path ahead - rescued!

Happily reliefed to be back on the track after the last challenging crossing of Allt Coire na Saobhaidh, I enjoyed the rest of the walk in the late afternoon sun, taking some more pictures, only wishing that I would have parked my car at the right parking after this looong but very nice day.
DSC00331php690.jpg
Beinn a'Ghlo from the track after the path has turned to the right

DSC00340php690.jpg
peacful scenery

DSC00343php690.jpg
Last goodbye to the mountain

2017-07-12 Beinn aGhlo690.jpg
https://www.strava.com/activities/1080132873/embed/8d4e632d29a1424e5b46b12e4cd58b8776ef3f22
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Beinn a' Ghlo and the sound of silence

Postby katyhills » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Lovely report - pity you missed the parking, but at least you had good weather for coming out on that path!
It's quite daunting sometimes, walking by yourself -but once you get used to it, it can be so much more satisfying :D

Some really good photos too - the views are lovely on a clear day from those hills :D
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:40 pm

Definitely Glencoe - Rannoch Moor means there's no high ground in between, and there's a really good view from the Glencoe hills of Schiehallion like a sentinel at the far end.

A lovely day - your Cairngorm views look even better than mine. I'm glad you found the right way down, but oh that mud, just when you think the worst is over! :)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Grisu » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:19 pm

katyhills wrote:It's quite daunting sometimes, walking by yourself -but once you get used to it, it can be so much more satisfying :D :D

Thanx katyhills - you are right, the more practice and experience I have the less the daunting moments are and I do enjoy walking on my own most of the time but I don't mind good company, only too when it becomes too chatty it is racking my nervs :roll:
Grisu
Walker

Postby Grisu » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:22 pm

nigheandonn wrote:Definitely Glencoe - Rannoch Moor means there's no high ground in between, and there's a really good view from the Glencoe hills of Schiehallion like a sentinel at the far end.

A lovely day - your Cairngorm views look even better than mine. I'm glad you found the right way down, but oh that mud, just when you think the worst is over! :)

Thank you for the confirmation and the appreciation :D
Grisu
Walker

Postby aaquater » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:04 pm

The bog fields under both Carns make Beinn a' Ghlo seem less appealing than what it looks like on the map, don't they? :lol: At least the ridge walk and the views from it are amazing, at least on a fine day like yours!
aaquater

Munros:74   Corbetts:37
Fionas:40   Donalds:23+12
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:18

Postby rockhopper » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:31 am

Nice day for it. The switchback ridge is always impressive once you're up there. Long walk back though even without the added distance to your car. Thanks :)

Identifying hills - this link may help ?
http://www.udeuschle.selfhost.pro/panoramas/makepanoramas_en.htm

Untitled.jpg
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Grisu » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:44 am

aaquater wrote:The bog fields under both Carns make Beinn a' Ghlo seem less appealing than what it looks like on the map, don't they? :lol: At least the ridge walk and the views from it are amazing, at least on a fine day like yours!

Yes, you are right, the ridge walk was worth all the inconveniences and I am very happy that didn't follow my concerns and dispiriting information in the description :wink:
rockhopper wrote:Nice day for it. The switchback ridge is always impressive once you're up there. Long walk back though even without the added distance to your car. Thanks :)

Identifying hills - this link may help ?
http://www.udeuschle.selfhost.pro/panoramas/makepanoramas_en.htm

Untitled.jpg

Thanks a lot, rockhopper! A few days ago I was looking for some information how to figure out the surrounding views and found a different link for panoramas in one of the forums. But this one is very helpful and really smart!! That will keep me busy for a while and add some fun to the preparations of my next summer holiday :D great, cheers!
Grisu
Walker

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Nice report and lovely photos: I did this group in the late 1980's and I don't remember any tracks at all :D . Same for all munros I imagine - glad to have finished. In another 30 years I guess the Corbetts will be similarly afflicted :( - but I shall be long gone :)
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby dav2930 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Smashing report of a grand walk. Great photos. I enjoyed these Beinn a' Ghlo Munros when I did them back in 2009 on a wintry day in March. Came down the ridge of Airgiod Bheinn and I remember the path out seemed long and tortuous; but a great day. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland