walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ring of Steall Skyrace

Ring of Steall Skyrace

Postby Nicholas » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:27 pm

Route description: The Ring of Steall, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 21/09/2019

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 27.8 km

Ascent: 2871m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

race
Nicholas
Stravaiging

Munros:79   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1

Re: Ring of Steall Skyrace

Postby dav2930 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:36 pm

Interestingly minimalist report!

Didn't realise the Ring of Steall was so long and with so much ascent :shock:

Perhaps a little more information wouldn't go amiss?
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Scottk » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:03 pm

The Ring of Steall Skyline is much longer. Three races over the same weekend. Amazing being able to complete,eye any of them and the times for the fastest is pretty epic.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Sgurr » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:42 am

I imagine that's what it feels like when you're racing. Scenery? Only so far as where to put your next foot. Taking pictures? Are you mad? I read a TR of the Bob Graham round and there were about 3 pictures someone else took. race? Yes, that's it. race, and race some more. If you are modest, you don't even put up your time. You don't even use a capital letter, because that might seem as if you are ordering someone else to do it. Just. race. Focus. race. So whether you were the Nicholas that came 99th, 342nd, 412th or 508th, you ran a lot faster than I ever have. (Just noticed that the first Brit. was Ricky Lightfoot whom we once met on a training run (him, not us) running across to Skiddaw House in the Lake.)
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:02 pm

dav2930 wrote:Interestingly minimalist report!

Didn't realise the Ring of Steall was so long and with so much ascent :shock:

Perhaps a little more information wouldn't go amiss?

It starts in Kinlochleven then up onto the Ring of Steall below Am Bodach over the Devils Ridge and Sgurr a' Mhaim and then down into Glen Nevis at Polldubh. From there up through the gorge back onto the Ring of Steall An Gearanach to Am Bodach and back down to Kinlochleven.
Jesus, tired myself out just typing that out.

I've walked from Kinlochleven over Am Bodach, An Gearanach to Fort William before and it's a great linear route. There are loads of other similar options too. The race is mental as far as I'm concerned :D .
The winning time was 3 hours 15 mins. :shock:

http://www.skylinescotland.com/ring-of-steall-skyrace/
Sunset tripper

Postby dav2930 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:31 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:It starts in Kinlochleven then up onto the Ring of Steall below Am Bodach over the Devils Ridge and Sgurr a' Mhaim and then down into Glen Nevis at Polldubh. From there up through the gorge back onto the Ring of Steall An Gearanach to Am Bodach and back down to Kinlochleven.
Jesus, tired myself out just typing that out.

I've walked from Kinlochleven over Am Bodach, An Gearanach to Fort William before and it's a great linear route. There are loads of other similar options too. The race is mental as far as I'm concerned :D .
The winning time was 3 hours 15 mins. :shock:

Thanks for the info ST! If the OP had provided it in his report you could have saved yourself the strenuous typing :wink: Maybe he just forgot to tick the 'record only' box? All mountain races are mental as far as I'm concerned :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland