walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Steall falls wire bridge

Re: Steall falls wire bridge

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:29 pm

rodderss wrote:Anybody ever fallen off this bridge or seen anyone fall.
I saw a bloke fall off it, while wearing a large heavy rucksack. He landed on his back, on the shingle as the river was low. he had his arms and legs sticking up in the air, and looked like a tortoise which had become inverted. Laugh? I nearly soiled my longjohns....
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby madprof » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:20 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:It's worth pointing out that you don't have to cross the wire bridge to do the Ring of Steall.

You can simply walk further up the path and cross the river (out with spate conditions), this also avoids the worst of the bog.

How far do you have to walk up to get to this point?
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby rodderss » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:34 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
rodderss wrote:Anybody ever fallen off this bridge or seen anyone fall.
I saw a bloke fall off it, while wearing a large heavy rucksack. He landed on his back, on the shingle as the river was low. he had his arms and legs sticking up in the air, and looked like a tortoise which had become inverted. Laugh? I nearly soiled my longjohns....

Ha, ha indeed that would of been a sight worth seeing.
If I ever get round to it I'll cross the river on foot.
rodderss

Munros:47   Corbetts:15
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:29   
Islands:2

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:47 pm

madprof wrote:
WalkWithWallace wrote:It's worth pointing out that you don't have to cross the wire bridge to do the Ring of Steall.

You can simply walk further up the path and cross the river (out with spate conditions), this also avoids the worst of the bog.

How far do you have to walk up to get to this point?

Not far at all. The crossing point is just round the bend upstream from the bridge at a wide stony area. Probably 200 metres at most.
Sunset tripper

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:39 pm

Very true but it is far more fun to use the bridge. In fact I dont think you can count the 4 munros if you dont use the bridge. :shock:
Sunset tripper

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion