walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Farfield Horseshoe ( the better one).

A Farfield Horseshoe ( the better one).

Postby colgregg » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:18 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Fairfield, Hart Crag, Hartsop above How, St Sunday Crag

Hewitts included on this walk: Fairfield, Hart Crag, St Sunday Crag

Date walked: 08/08/2010

Time taken: 6

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1021m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Start time: 12 15pm.
We set off from Patterdale cursing Weatherline's forecast for today as they'd failed to predict the bank of cloud sitting over the fells at around 2500ft.. Their prediction did come true, however, as the cloud lifted as we rounded the shoulder of Birks and started the steady climb to the Summit of St. Sunday Crag (2756ft). Behind us were ever improving views to Ullswater backed by Place Fell. From the Summit of St sunday you get a detailed view of Helvellyn with it's neighbouring fells, Dollywagon and Nethermost Pikes although Striding edge doesn't look as dramatic from here. Ahead is Fairfield, the main objective. There now follows a steady drop of 700ft to Deepdale Hause and the path leading to Grisedale Tarn for those wanting to make an early return, backed by Seat Sandal.
There's a stiff ascent to the minor top of Cofa Pike which is a great place to stop for snacking, before the final climb to the summit of Fairfield which at 2863ft is the highest point. As expected The all round view is exceptional with many fells to the West visible, the Hellvelyn range to the North and Eastwards the fells around Kirkstone and High Street also prominent. The lakes of Windermere and Coniston provide the water scenery with Morecambe Bay in the background
Our walk continued South East to The next summit of Hart Crag, an easy mile's walking, before the long descent of the ridge of Hartstop above How (another superb viewpoint) and finaly down to the main road at Bridgend. Half a mile along the road we were back in Patterdale for a pint at the White Lion. Had we more time then I'd liked to have extended the walk to include Dove Crag and continued on to Scandale Pass, returning to Patterdale via Caiston Beck and Brotherswater. Still that could be for another day and what we did was well worth it. Another advantage was that there were relatively few people walking this.
In my title I put this as the better horseshoe. My Reasons? In my opinion there is greater interest with this route as you are walking on the more dramatic side of the Eastern Fells. St Sunday is a great summit in it's own right and you get to see Fairfield's Crags which aren't seen on the western approach. All in all scenically I think this route ranks a lot higher than the "original" horseshoe.
A small selection of pics from the walk.
St Sunday - Fairfield 011.JPG
Ullswater from St Sunday Crag

St Sunday - Fairfield 014.JPG
Fairfield

St Sunday - Fairfield 023.JPG
The Far Eastern Fells

St Sunday - Fairfield 032.JPG
Helvellyn

St Sunday - Fairfield 036.JPG
Grisedale Tarn from Deepdale Hause

St Sunday - Fairfield 039.JPG
Cofa Pike, St Sunday Crag and Grisedale.

St Sunday - Fairfield 045.JPG
Fairfield Summit.

St Sunday - Fairfield 065.JPG
Place Fell and Patterdale from Hartstop above How
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Re: A Farfield Horseshoe ( the better one).

Postby icemandan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Fully agree that this is a much better horseshoe than the Rydal one. Dovedale is one of the best kept secrets in the Lakes.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Re: A Farfield Horseshoe ( the better one).

Postby fedupofuserids » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:34 pm

Agree with you both. I'm usually unlucky on Fairfield, on about 5 visits to its summit, I've only had clear skies once !
fedupofuserids

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland