walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Some help for the cyclists among us!

Some help for the cyclists among us!

Postby RocksRock » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:15 pm

RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Re: Some help for the cyclists among us!

Postby al78 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:25 pm

A very good idea. The trains in the Scottish Highlands don't have the demand that trains in other parts of the UK do (e.g. the SE commuter belt) so there is space for these extra carriages whilst still being able to cater for foot passenger demand. It would be good if something similar could be rolled out elsewhere, but with the trains and rail lines saturated in some areas, I can't see it happening.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:24 am

ScotRail project manager Tom Smith said: "This innovative pilot is the first of its type in the UK."

Because all the other relatively low-traffic highland tourist lines throughout the rest of UK didn't think of this before you? :lol:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby al78 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:27 am

Marty_JG wrote:
ScotRail project manager Tom Smith said: "This innovative pilot is the first of its type in the UK."

Because all the other relatively low-traffic highland tourist lines throughout the rest of UK didn't think of this before you? :lol:

They are all ScotRail, so there are no "others" to think about it. Scotrail is the first in the UK to try this out, rather than just think about it then do nothing..
al78
Walker

Postby Tringa » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:56 am

Definitely a good idea. Simple and looks effective; I wish Serco had used the same amount of skill and it might have prevented the mess they have made of the changes on the Caledonian Sleeper.

Dave
Tringa

Postby DopeyLoser » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:58 pm

Reminds me of the guards van where cyclists used to put their bikes. Fine.

At the risk of being a moaning git I'll add that it looks like they are not making the best use of the space. They could fit bikes in half the space if the bikes were hung by front wheel from a hook (same as they currently are on WHL trains).

Now, if they could just get a toilet on the train between Crianlarich and Oban there would be a few more relaxed and happy passengers on that section of the line!
DopeyLoser

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:01 pm

It does look like the bikes are going to be rather better accommodated than the passengers, doesn't it!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:49 pm

Still way behind the times,what's wrong with the Glasgow to Inverness route where at times it's a bloody struggle to book a cycle on because it's either 3 or 6 cycles that's allowed.
Main bus routes to Skye or Inverness don't have cycle carriers either plus you have to have them wrapped or in a cycle carrier so you can store them in the luggage compartment.

I was in Austria where it is a totally different mentality towards cyclists,no need to book whither bus,train or tram,on a bus you could take a cycle and a child cycle trailer try doing that in Scotland.

Dad_pulling_son_in_trailer.jpg
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby davekeiller » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:00 pm

A qualified thumbs up from me. These are 30 year old diesel trains from the southwest of England that are now surplus to requirements in that region and are being refurbished and put onto the West Highland Line.
It is, however, encouraging to see Scotrail increasing cycle capacity on the west highland line, because it's really frustrating that cycle space has, until now, been so limited.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby al78 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:42 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:I was in Austria where it is a totally different mentality towards cyclists,no need to book whither bus,train or tram,on a bus you could take a cycle and a child cycle trailer try doing that in Scotland.
Dad_pulling_son_in_trailer.jpg

I did once. Heading home after a week's guided walking based at Inchnadamph hotel. Cycled to Ardgay station without booking a cycle space on the train, thinking as it was the far north line it won't be that busy - WRONG - all cycle space taken up, next train tomorrow morning. Had no choice but to continue cycling the rest of the way to Inverness (about 70 miles total), managed to get there in good time to catch the sleeper.
al78
Walker

Postby mynthdd2 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:04 pm

70 miles?!?! I am a hillwalker and was seriously embarrassed by a bike shop when I said I would probably cycle 20-30 miles a day as per my perception of distance covered meant 20-30 miles sounded a long way - I am so not a lycra lad
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby al78 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:05 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:70 miles?!?! I am a hillwalker and was seriously embarrassed by a bike shop when I said I would probably cycle 20-30 miles a day as per my perception of distance covered meant 20-30 miles sounded a long way - I am so not a lycra lad

I don't wear lycra (well, rarely). It was a guided walking holiday and I decided to get to Inchnadamph by train and bike. I had worked out the 36 miles from Ardgay to Inchnadamph was on quiet roads with not much in the way of climbing. My intention was to reverse the journey coming back, didn't quite go according to plan, and cycling from Ardgay to Inverness is more hilly as it involves slogging up from sea level along the B road that goes up past Struie hill to a bit over 200 m asl (towards Alness). Quite hard with a week of hillwalking and 36 miles of cycling in my legs, but having many hours to do the journey, it was a case of slow and steady, with a stop in Alness for a drink and snack. The cycle path across the Kessock bridge was very handy.

It is a shame if the bike shop embarassed you with something they said about your plans. Different people have different abilities, and what is a long way for one person is trivial for another. If someone is new to cycling and trying to get fitter they need encouragement, not ridicule.
al78
Walker

Postby ChrisButch » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:35 pm

Just one oddity about the relationship between cycling and hillwalkng fitness. i've always found that if I'm cycling fit I can be reasonably sur of being hillwalkng fit. (And by cycling fit, I mean the abliity to ride hilly 100-mile audaxes etc). But it doesn't work the other way round. When I've come back from a couple of weeks peak-bagging somewhere, the first time I get on the bike I can hardly move - it takes a week or so to get back to normal. Something to do with the different muscle groups, presumably. Others I've mentioned this to have similar experiences.
ChrisButch

Postby al78 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:45 am

I found that regularly cycling the 20 mile round trip to work did have some carryover to walking fitness. The primary muscles are different for cycling and hillwalking. Cycling hits the quads harder, whereas hillwalking hits the hamstrings harder (especially when descending), at least based on where the DOMS or sports massage hurts most.
al78
Walker

Postby gaffr » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:38 am

I usually try to fit an off road biking day out. Last week it was through Inshriach plantation to Loch an Eilein then along the Rothiemurchus trails to exit through the camping site to reach the wee shop/café for tea and a Scone. The fine cycle route along the Logging route to reach Aviemore and then out along the Speyside way to Boat of Garten where I managed to stow the bike into the back of a motor for a lift home.
There is now a cycle trail beside the new section of A9 recently dualled from the Wildlife Park entrance through to a dead end, roughly level with the Camping/camper van site on the old A9...a wee bit of back tracking gets you under the dualled road and onto a estate road to thread your way to close to the Camp site.
Must say I try to stay off the roads as much as possible....I find that the B roads are even more hazardous for Cyclists. :shock: I guess that I am fortunate that in the area where I stay is stacked with reasonable off road trails for bikers. Just get onto the 1:25,000 maps on the phone to choose a route. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion