walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Encounters of the third kind on a summit Bivvy Camp

Encounters of the third kind on a summit Bivvy Camp

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:25 am

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 21/09/2019

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Video of Bivvy, inversion and MilkyWay :)

I was late – very late…. I had messaged Ray to let him know and to look out for a head torch in the darkness…

The plan was a wild camp on the summit of Ben Chonzie, what with a grand spell of weather, we decided to make the most of it, the only issue was I had commitments during the day that meant I couldn’t leave home until the afternoon. Ray was able to get away earlier and had spent a leisurely day exploring Glen Turret.

I had thought I would’ve made it to the summit before sunset but a series of events put me behind schedule by a few hours and as I left home I stuck my mountain bike in the boot to try and save some time.

Turning the wheels as quickly as I could I sped along the side of Loch Turret with the sun having left the Glen floor about an hour ago! There was still enough light for me to continue without the need for artificial light as I left the bike at Lochan Uaine, but as I reached the col on the should of Chonzie , the head torch was switched on. A faint band of light held on to the west, silhouetting The Lawers group beautifully!

Trudging up the hill in the dark and the senses are heightened. I could hear the stags bellowing and every now and again I could make out their eyes watching me as my head light spun around the landscape. Navigation wasn’t too hard , there was no clag and as Chonzie is a dome summit I just followed my bearing. Things became easier when I saw Rays head torch from the near the summit and he came to meet me. It was now completely dark with no moon as we reached the summit.

Ray had a nice pitch , sheltered from the easterlies with a grand view west. It didn’t take long for me to set up my home for the light – a bivvy bag! Weighing it down so as it didn’t blow away, we headed up to the summit to play about with the cameras.

As we reached the summit we discovered we were not alone. About 100meters to the north of the summit was a red tent , lit up by someone inside. The only problem was it seemed to be floating at the same height as the summit – a mid air pitch! Completely baffled and starting to think we were about to have a paranormal experience, the floating tent revealed itself as no tent but the rising moon! It had given a strange optical illusion for a good 20 seconds! I must admit I was thinking I was going to be making humans first encounter with extra terrestrial beings !lol

Having calmed down and realised that E.T. wasn’t joining us for some wild camping, we took a few shots with the stars and milky way and then retired to the tent and bivvy bag.

Summit selfie and milky way photo :

ImageMILKY WAY SCOTLAND by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

The main reason I was bivvying was to be able to sleep under the stars. Every time I woke I gazed up at the sky before sleep took me again – it was amazing!

ImageMoon Rising by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

My final awakening saw the dawn light creeping in to the east and I could see wisps of mist scudding over the summit with a pink hue. Over to the west I could make out we were above the cloud! Blooming fantastic. We quickly got up and walked the 20 yards to the summit were a blanket of cloud had rolled in from the North Sea , providing a cosy sea of cloud for Strathearn. It was a grand morning as we watched the sun rise over Perthshire and over the top of the cloud.

ImageDawn from The Summit by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageLoch Turret by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageFence to Ben Lawers group by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Once it was up I unfortunately had to dash again as I had more family commitments. I was down (with the aid of the bike) in quick time and back home ready to take my daughter to her gymnastics by 10am!! A fab wee trip to Ben Chonzie 
wilkiemurray

Re: Encounters of the third kind on a summit Bivvy Camp

Postby Sgurr » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:04 am

That summit selfie is just amazing.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Colin1951 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:02 pm

Fabulous pictures, must have been a great experience. Just goes to show, even an innocuous (some saydull) hill has something special to offer
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:33 pm

Great photos ! :thumbup: Class One shots :clap: :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Grisu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:25 pm

That was worth the effort :clap: :clap: :clap: luckily you! :thumbup:
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:10 pm

Sgurr wrote:That summit selfie is just amazing.

Indeed!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:15 pm

Excellent - I love that we’re back at the time of year where we often end up walking in the dark 8)

Some wonderful photos there and an awesome experience :clap:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:48 am

Sgurr wrote:That summit selfie is just amazing.

Thanks Sgurr - there was lots of running bac and forth and striking poses for this one!!lol
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:49 am

Colin1951 wrote:Fabulous pictures, must have been a great experience. Just goes to show, even an innocuous (some saydull) hill has something special to offer

Absolutely agree - reckon its not too dulland the approach from Glen Turret is of more interest than Invergeldie IMHO :)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:49 am

Petr Dakota wrote:Great photos ! :thumbup: Class One shots :clap: :clap:

Thanks Petr :)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:50 am

Jaxter wrote:Excellent - I love that we’re back at the time of year where we often end up walking in the dark 8)

Some wonderful photos there and an awesome experience :clap:

you and me both :) and the white stuff is back too :)
wilkiemurray

Postby R1ggered » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:00 pm

Excellent video and content as usual. :clap: :clap:
R1ggered
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland