walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Couple of Graham's - "Simples"

A Couple of Graham's - "Simples"

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:28 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall nan Caorach, Meall Reamhar

Date walked: 19/02/2017

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 550m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Yet another of my "let's study the map" and see where I can go without having to drive very far :lol: :lol: This couple of hills fitted the bill rather well, as I had a spare morning to get some fresh air.
I had a pretty good idea where they were as the Perth to Crieff road has been a regular route on my travels west and north west.
I had a look at a couple of WR's and was basing my timings on the one and only 'Rodmeister', so I told Mrs F I would be back in 4 hours, an hour each way driving and a couple of hours walking - Rod completed the route in a shade over 2 hours and I reckoned I would be able to match that :lol: :lol: Especially as my route was more kind of direct and staying on the track as far as possible :wink: I also notice that Rod parked in Amulree, I was a wee bit cheeky and parked at the farm entrance as in my opinion there is loads of room - if you park carefully, so that would knock 15 minutes off 8) 8)
Set off just before 9.30am and the temperature was a balmy 8 deg in the middle of February and at just over 200m, so the fleece and gloves were not needed and stayed in my rucksack.

Image Was planning to park in Amulree, but a few spaces available at the start of the track so opted to occupy one

Image Wide track to start off

My plan was to follow the track as far as I could to the bealach, once there I was planning to follow the fence that goes directly up both hills. I reached the bealach after about 45 mins and opted to take on Meall nan Caorach first for no particular reason. I was struggling a bit on the ascent due to being unfit but was soon on the summit. It was a bit blowy but for a change I could actually see the surrounding countryside 8)

Image Low level look back to the start

Image First low level shot of a few turbines

Image Looking into the sun, todays targets

Image Gaining height, track nice and dry higher up

Image Looking across to the new fence going up Meall Reamhar

Image Track continuing south east

Image Loch Freuchie in the distance from the summit of Meall nan Caorach

Image Looking SW towards the next summit

Image Large windfarm enhancing the view

Image Loch Freuchie zoomed

Image Ready for the next new fence

Image Ascent of Meall Reamhar was littered with old wire

I was appalled to find the ascent of Meall Reamhar was almost like an obstacle course, especially the lower slope, left over spare bits of new wire had been dumped along with the old rusty wire. If I was getting tangled up with my two little legs, imagine how any of our four legged friends are going to cope. I just hope it is a temporary problem as it looks like the fence builders are planning to return to replace the fence up Meall nan Caorach :roll:

Image Just in case you didn't believe me

Image No snow to walk through, this was all I could find

Image Looking west from the summit of Meall Reamhar

Image Looking down on Amulree

Image Looking back towards the first summit

Image Looking south west

Image Previous shot zoomed

Not much else to say about the walk, really enjoyed getting out and because I was hardly 'off piste' my boots stayed dry 8)
Next on the horizon will be more of the same hopefully after this grotty weather that is due has been and gone.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: A Couple of Graham's - "Simples"

Postby jules999 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:32 am

I had been looking for a relatively close hills or hills to do as time was short yesterday,, and I found your report on these hills, so i read your report and did exactly the same as you on these,,what a cracking wee couple of hrs doing them both,, had a lovely wee saunter up them and the views were nice and clear,, thanks for putting this up :D
jules999
Mountain Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:67
Fionas:19   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:33   
Islands:4

Postby Backpacker » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:20 pm

I can confirm that the wire from the old fence is still there.

Did almost the same route as you except I came back over the SIMM just to add in a bit of variation
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Graeme D » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:00 pm

There's a blast from the past! The start looks a bit more industrial than it did in my day though.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby bar72 » Mon May 31, 2021 5:00 pm

thanks for the report, you can park easily if you hug into the wheelie bin. Please bear in mind that I'm a lorry driver so I always think about trailer "cut-in" and "tailswing" wherever I park. I checked on PKCs website for bin collection dates, a Thursday, so no worries parking there any other day. No excessive wire lying about when following the fence line and bone dry on return, in trainers ;)

bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:194
Fionas:74   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Postby Frenchy » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:10 pm

Did this walk yesterday 23/03/24.
There is still old wire on the ground, up both fence lines.
Frenchy
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:16   
Islands:1

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland