walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

I climbed An Teallach by accident....

I climbed An Teallach by accident....

Postby Jaxter » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:12 pm

Route description: An Teallach, Dundonnell

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 15/10/2019

Time taken: 7.43 hours

Distance: 21.85 km

Ascent: 1477m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I’ll be the first to admit that I can be a bit random and very impulsive at times. But we were pretty sure we were going to have a nice relaxing morning having breakfast at the pie shop and then taking a leisurely drive around to climb Sail Mhor on the way home.

It started well 8)

And got better… :wink:

And then I started getting ideas above my station :lol:

We agreed that it would be too late to be doing anything big… so before we knew it, the bikes were dumped at our end point…

…I’d made sure Malky had put the key in his rucksack :roll: ….

…and we were heading off up the good stalkers path from Dundonnell. Midday? Pfffft :lol:

I was so excited and we flew out the blocks, making good progress up the steep path

Beinn nam Ban – around 500m, so clearly we had work to do :roll:

Beinn Mor Coigach started to poke out behind Beinn Ghoblach

There was a bit of a maze of paths so we sort of followed our noses and eventually something impressive came into view – the munro top of Glas Mheall Mhor

We were now properly on the mountain and were enjoying the views across to the Beinn Dearg hills above Ullapool

Into Assynt

It was kind of here we realised we hadn’t quite done what we expected – apparently there was a path up the ridge not marked on the map and we had split from the path up the corrie :roll: It wasn’t a big deal though, and saved us from having to go over Malky’s munro top :lol:

Corrie path

The ridge probably added a few metres of ascent as there some lumps and bumps but the views were worth it!

It looked a bit like a desert 8)

The 2 munro summits coming into view :shock:

Still worth looking back though!

Finally we were on the ridge and looking at the final ascent to Bidein a’ Ghlas Thuil

Our descent route (more about that later :roll: )

The Western Isles were just about visible, the peak of Clisham easy to see

Malky’s missed munro top

Apparently this is used as a descent route :roll:

Having not met a single soul all day up to this point, we quite literally met an army :lol:

Sail Mhor – one for another day!

Sgurr Creag an Eich, our route off

And then….oofty 8)

Made it – Bidein a’ Ghlas Thuil

Sgurr Fiona and Sgurr Creag an Eich

Assynt

The Fannaichs

Across to the other end of the pinnacles

South, behind Fiona

Given that it was lunchtime before we started it was definitely lunchtime now :lol: We enjoyed our last load of 2 day old sandwiches at the summit before carrying on, stopping for important business :lol:

Loch Toll an Lochain

I was struggling to fit it all in :wink: :lol:

Cool pancake rock :lol:

Sgurr Creag an Eich

Loch Glascarnoch

Ahead to Fiona 8)

Now we were climbing up amongst it we could see the sheer scale of the rock here – absolutely huge :shock:

Malky included for scale :lol:

Looking back to Bidein a’ Ghlas Thuil

Big bird – someone may be able to help!

I managed to find a really awkward route to the top of Sgurr Fiona so when I popped my head around a rock and saw this…. Oofty 8)

The Fisherfield hills – nice 8)

The sun hitting the Coigach “wall”

Looking along the pinnacles

Loch Toll an Lochain

Summit of Sgurr Fiona

“Look, I’m standing on Lord Berkeley’s Seat!” :lol:

Sail Mhor

We sat around for ages just soaking up the views – it was a spectacular spot! Then we remembered what time it gets dark at this time of year and got going :lol:

Malky found a hand-shaped rock to sit on

Sgurr Creag an Eich – at least poor Malky would get one new munro top!

The Beinn Deargs again 8)

The route off Fiona – looks impossible but there was a good path leading all the way down which made things a lot easier!

It was easy walking on our new ridge and before long we were able to inspect Fiona and her pinnacles from a different angle :wink:

The spectacular Fisherfield hills

Loch na Sealga

The route up Sgurr Creag an Eich was amazing – we were able to walk along a slabby ridge all the way!

Malky looking pleased with himself :lol:

Fiona and the pinnacles

Our route so far – looking a wee bit overcast now

Our ridge continues

Another look back!

Making progress down

Not too bad eh :wink: 8)

Malky trying to run away again :lol:

Looking down on Shenavall

The Deargs

The sky was doing lovely things 8)

Sun hitting the Fannaichs

Loch na Sealga and down to Gairloch

Wee bit of low cloud

Eventually we dropped off the ridge – it was steep and heathery to start with but the gradient got a bit better and soon we were off the steepest part

Malky leading the way

Looking back

From here we were totally off-piste and were very aware that the ground could be awful :shock:

It was slow and frustrating after a long day (and there was a horrible river crossing :shock: ) but actually the ground wasn’t too bad at all. We were very glad to finally drop onto a path though :lol:

The light disappearing over Little Loch Broom

From here it got steep and a bit awkward, especially as it decided to get dark and we were dodging the crags around huge waterfalls with a path that was barely obvious some of the time :lol:

Head torches went on and then Malky decided to run off and leave me :roll: Eventually we were back at the bikes and had 4km to cycle back along the road in the dark. Fortunately we had planned ahead and had lights, although we were only passed by 2 cars the whole way!

Back at the car we threw everything in and had the long drive home – as this was my stupid idea in the first place I figured it was probably my turn to drive :lol:

An Teallach.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: I climbed An Teallach by accident....

Postby Sgurr » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:46 pm

This looks like the section in the Saturday Supplement where the series goes something like "I'm Nine Years Old and Won an Adult 10k race By Mistake",, "I Was Crushed by an Elephant", "My Dog Stole My Tractor" and "I Accidentally Bought a Giant Pig." Maybe not quite snappy enough, but preferred by hill walkers any day. Lovely pics Especially Fisherfield.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby dogplodder » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:47 pm

You couldn't have had better conditions so if that's how it goes bring on the accidents! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:34 pm

Wonderful place in wonderful weather, with some superb pics to remember it by... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I was surprised to see you only sitting on the trig point... :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Grisu » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:18 pm

Jaxter wrote:

Actually it is a descent route which I took in summer on my way back because I thought it would be easier and quicker than going back the same way over Meall Garbh - well I better should have gone over the pinnacles but as I have missed the summit of Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill and got on Sgurr Fions first it was no real option....

Although the views were great it made no sense to stay and suck in the phantastic views because it was heavly stormy at the summits - you were so lucky!

Great picture and nice report, thanks! :clap:
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:08 pm

Big bird .... Golden Eagle ;)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby steviesea » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:04 am

Wow :clap: Some of those views you've captured there are phenomenal 8)
Must surely have been accidentally on purpose :lol:
steviesea
Wanderer

Munros:87   Corbetts:16
Fionas:8   
Hewitts:42

Postby Jaxter » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:59 am

Sgurr wrote:This looks like the section in the Saturday Supplement where the series goes something like "I'm Nine Years Old and Won an Adult 10k race By Mistake",, "I Was Crushed by an Elephant", "My Dog Stole My Tractor" and "I Accidentally Bought a Giant Pig." Maybe not quite snappy enough, but preferred by hill walkers any day. Lovely pics Especially Fisherfield.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks - it sort of felt a bit like that :shock: But definitely better than being crushed by an elephant :wink:

dogplodder wrote:You couldn't have had better conditions so if that's how it goes bring on the accidents! :lol:

Thankyou - I don't expect my stupidity to stop any time soon :lol:

Alteknacker wrote:Wonderful place in wonderful weather, with some superb pics to remember it by... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I was surprised to see you only sitting on the trig point... :D

I knew someone would pick up on that... :roll: It was windy and I wussed out :lol:

Grisu wrote:
Jaxter wrote:

Actually it is a descent route which I took in summer on my way back because I thought it would be easier and quicker than going back the same way over Meall Garbh - well I better should have gone over the pinnacles but as I have missed the summit of Bidein a'Ghlas Thuill and got on Sgurr Fions first it was no real option....

Although the views were great it made no sense to stay and suck in the phantastic views because it was heavly stormy at the summits - you were so lucky!

Great picture and nice report, thanks! :clap:

It looks possible but not a lot of fun going down that way :shock: Although we were also toying with dropping into the next corrie around which looked even worse so I'm glad we went down the other ridge!!

Collaciotach wrote:Big bird .... Golden Eagle ;)

Yasss 8) 8) 8)

steviesea wrote:Wow :clap: Some of those views you've captured there are phenomenal 8)
Must surely have been accidentally on purpose :lol:

Thanks - well, sort of :wink: Seemed like too good a day to waste!
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby al78 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:09 pm

Absolutely fantastic. I was there in June (didn't climb An Teallach) in persistent overcast conditions, reading your report is like "lets have a look at what you could have seen".
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:36 pm

Nice report as always but what a shame that this mickey mouse outing has now taken over as the standard route - rather than the classic circuit from Corriehallie :( :( A direct ascent of the Corrag Bhuidhe is quite steep, but it can easily be outflanked on the L where I remember the scrambling was no more than grade 1. Prince managed it OK - with a bit of help :lol: and even had the energy to chase an Ullapool cat next morning :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:41 pm

Great report - enjoyed reading it :thumbup: Really must make an effort to go to the pie shop next time I'm up - it's next door to a shop run by one of my wife's cousins. Thanks :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Jaxter » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:01 pm

al78 wrote:Absolutely fantastic. I was there in June (didn't climb An Teallach) in persistent overcast conditions, reading your report is like "lets have a look at what you could have seen".

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That must have been frustrating! I guess it's the perfect excuse to go back (as if you'd need one :wink: )

rockhopper wrote:Great report - enjoyed reading it :thumbup: Really must make an effort to go to the pie shop next time I'm up - it's next door to a shop run by one of my wife's cousins. Thanks :)

Thanks - and yes, can't recommend the pie shop enough! Although the Coffee shop & gifts place just down the road is also excellent - they sell this amazing chocolate called Salmiaki that is liquorice flavoured 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland