walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachille Etive Mor

Buachille Etive Mor

Postby Grisu » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:40 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 08/10/2016

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1110m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We have booked a cottage in North Ballaculish and planned some outdoor activities for this week. And the Buachille seemed to be a good choice to start with on an overcasted but dry day wiht quite pleasant temperature for this time of the year although most pictures give a different impression, presumably.
DSC01915php690.jpg
The classical view with the SMC hut

We parked the car at Altnafeadah, crossed the River Coupall at the bridge and took the path along Allt Coire na Tulaich and up the Coire na Tulaich.
DSC01926php690.jpg
Looking back from the Coire

Reaching the ridge we turned left for Stob Dearg where we had a little break at the cairn, enjoying the views over Rannoch Moor and towards the Ballaculish Bridge.
DSC01937php690.jpg
Rannoch Moor

DSC01936php690.jpg
View towards Ballaculish Bridge

After we resumed walking the sun came out and made the ridge walk very enjoyable.
DSC01941php690.jpg
Outlook to tomorrow's walk: bulky Ben Nevis and the top of Càrn Mòr Dearg

DSC01949php690.jpg
Somwhere below Stob na Doire, with view to Stob Coire Altruim and the summit of Stob Dearg in the distance

DSC01950php690.jpg
Looking back to Rannoch Moor with the cone of Schiehallion in the distance to the left and the Carn Mairg Mountain range to the right

DSC01952php690.jpg
The ridge towards Stob Dearg

DSC01955php6690.jpg
... and the ridge towards Stob na Bròige

Quite leisurely we took our time in the lovely afternoon sunshine. :D
DSC01961php690.jpg

DSC01962php690.jpg

DSC01966php690.jpg

DSC01972php690.jpg

DSC01979php690.jpg

At Stob na Bròige we had another break enjoying the views over the mountains and Glen Etive.
DSC01982php690.jpg
Glen Etive

DSC01986php690.jpg

Finally we returned and descended at the Altruim Coire. During our walk through the valley the roaring of stags was accompanying us.
That was a relaxed day out and a pleasant warm up for tomorrow, and on a scale out of ten I give it a seven.
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Buachille Etive Mor

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:07 am

Glad you got good weather for these - the views from the ridge are really superb, as your pics show. Sadly the clag was out in force when I did it in 2014 (though scrambling Curved Ridge helped make up for that disappointment!).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Buachille Etive Mor

Postby Grisu » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:28 am

Alteknacker wrote:Glad you got good weather for these - the views from the ridge are really superb, as your pics show. Sadly the clag was out in force when I did it in 2014 (though scrambling Curved Ridge helped make up for that disappointment!).

Thanks, Alteknacker. Yes it was nice to have these views. On my first time the weather was completely different, still in my backlog :wink:
And I agree, the ridge walk is very nice :D
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland