walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blue Hour on Ben Nevis (CMD)

Blue Hour on Ben Nevis (CMD)

Postby Grisu » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:44 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 09/10/2016

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1888m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunshine, no clouds - a perfect morning for another walk, and what else could it be than Ben Nevis, the highest, on such a sunny summer day in Octobre! We had considered to take the Carn Mor Dearg Arete route but kept the decision for later. That's why we parked at the visitor center and set off around 10:20 am to take what I have learned the pony track 8) .
DSC01998php690.jpg
Sunny start of the walk

It was already pretty hot on the way up, so we had several stops for a lot of sips of water :D
DSC02000php690.jpg

Above Loch Meall an t-Suidhe where the pony track turns right we finally decided to go over the Arete. Everything else would have been a real waste on a day like this!
First we followed the North Path until we started to descend a grassy slope to cross the Allt a' Mhuilinn, and up again the grassy slope on the other side.
DSC02009php690.jpg
Allt a' Mhuilinn and the Arete in the background

DSC02015php690.jpg
Glen Mor and Loch Lochy and the Lochy-Mountains

We zigzaged the steep slopes uphill until we reached a seemingly endless slog over stony ground to Càrn Beag Dearg.
DSC02017php690.jpg
Loooong slog towards Càrn Deag Bearg

At the Cairn we took a breather and enjoyed the views. A little chat with a walker and some information about the route and time had been exchanged - Thanks for that! We made our calculation and thought that we should be able to finish the walk in daylight. Well we nearly managed.
DSC02019php690.jpg
Happy David at the cairn of Càrn Beag Dearg

DSC02018php690.jpg
Great visibility offered views to the mountains around Glen Shiel

DSC02020php690.jpg
Fort William, Loch Eil and faintly Cuillins of Rum in the far distance

DSC02021php690.jpg
and sweaty me

After the slog it was almost easy going up to the Top of Càrn Deag Meadhonach.
DSC02027php690.jpg
Cairn of Càrn Dearg Mheadhonach

DSC02028php690.jpg
View over the ridge of Aonach Mor and Schiehallion in the distance

And an hour later we have reached the Cairn of Càrn Mòr Dearg.
DSC02033phpphp.jpg
Cairn of Càrn Mòr Dearg

DSC02035php690.jpg
Looking back

DSC02036php690.jpg
and me

The following walk over the Arete accompanied by the great views over the Marmores and with Ben Nevis towering from the right was very special and enjoyable. Of course, it needed care and concentration to cross the ridge but after the steep slog from the beginning it was pour pleasure.
DSC02040php690.jpg
The Arete with great views to the Ring of Steall and part of the Grey Corries

DSC02042php690.jpg
Looking back to Càrn Mòr Dearg

DSC02044php690.jpg
Allt Coire Giubhsachan and the Marmores; some of the Grey Corries I guess to the left

DSC02049php690.jpg
having fun

DSC02061php690.jpg
What a bulky swing

WP_20161009_16_13_12_Richphp690.jpg
Me on the Arete

Finally we reached the cairn and the setting sun was casting the late sunrays over the Marmores.
DSC02062php690.jpg
The flat shoulder with the cairn beneath on the final pull

But what was this now :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: ?
WP_20161009_16_45_55_Richphp690.jpg
Unbelievable!

Seeing the big boulders of the final pull I suddenly felt quite dispirited. From the distance it never has looked so rough. Vainly I was looking for an exit but then I got mesmerized by the scenery behind. That brought back some energy :D
DSC02063php690.jpg
looking down from the boulders

WP_20161009_16_55_25_Richphp690.jpg
golden Marmores

Keep going, keep going, I plodded behind my friend wondering how he managed to go over the boulders so quickly. At some time I was afraid we might loose the path, but than, out of a sudden, the ground leveled. But only after about 200 meters I realized that I really have arrived on the summit :lol:
And now it was WOW! Blue Hour on Ben Nevis! :D :D :D
Being late was a good advantage, only few people had been up on the summit. The amazing views kept us busy for a while admiring and marvelling, what a reward after such a great day! I really regret that I was not better equipped but these are the best pics I can offer to give an impression of the scenery.
DSC02067php690.jpg
The old observatory

DSC02069php690.jpg
Ben Nevis plateau and the Cuillins of Rum and Skye in the distance almost looking as if floating

DSC02071php690.jpg
Impressions form the summit

DSC02075php670.jpg
my favourite sight

Finally we started the descend down the pony track route.
DSC02078php690.jpg
Look back over the almost empty summit - a rare sight

Never can get enough of the vision of the Cuillins.
DSC02077php690.jpg
floating Cuillins

DSC02082php690.jpg
Amazing! Cuillins of Rum and Skye at Blue Hour

DSC02083php690.jpg
Spot on!

After the zigzag the light faded more and more, the moon came out and finally the torches and our pace slowed down.
DSC02084php690.jpg
The moon is out

The pure walking time was about 6 hours and half but as we didn't rush and have taken some time along the Arete and at the summit we had been back at the car after almost exactly 11 hours, tired but happy and very glad about our decision. For the legends of the pictures I have tried to reconstruct what is visible and hope I made not too many mistakes, still learning :wink: .
It was a very happy day in great weather with amazing views on this superb ridge walk we both enjoyed immensely - can't help myself using these supelativs. The slogs over the boulders was quickly forgotten.
This walk is definitely worth a 10 on a scale out of ten :wink: :D
Last edited by Grisu on Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Blue Hour on Ben Nevis

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:18 am

Looked like a great day out on the ben. Good pics :D.
Sunset tripper

Postby jmarkb » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:27 am

Great report and some lovely photos! Hard to beat such a classic route in good weather, and nice to have the summit without the crowds.

Grisu wrote:For the legends of the pictures I have tried to reconstruct what is visible and hope I made not too many mistakes, still learning

You are doing very well: the "Cuillins" in your shots are the Rum ones, not the Skye ones, but I'm sure you know that! :wink:
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Grisu » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:12 pm

jmarkb wrote:...
You are doing very well: the "Cuillins" in your shots are the Rum ones, not the Skye ones, but I'm sure you know that! :wink:

:shock: that was just the one I was sure, and have to admit that I meant Skye because on my very first time up BN with excellent views experienced walkers told me so. :?

Looking on a map I was always a bit confused when I tried to connect the line of view from Loch Eil to Skye :lol:
Thanks for this!!!
Last edited by Grisu on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grisu
Walker

Postby Grisu » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:17 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Looked like a great day out on the ben. Good pics :D.

Yes it was! and it is always funny how quick I forget any struggle :wink: , Thanks!
Grisu
Walker

Postby Silverhill » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:56 pm

Oh I do like a trip report about the Ben via the CMD arete 8) . That was definitely the right decision. I'm glad you had good weather for it!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Grisu » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:46 pm

Silverhill wrote:Oh I do like a trip report about the Ben via the CMD arete 8) . That was definitely the right decision. I'm glad you had good weather for it!

Happy you like it :D Thanks!
Grisu
Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland