walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Any good wildcamping spots near Laggan

Any good wildcamping spots near Laggan

Postby Sjiep » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi,

curious to know where the good wild camping spots near the reservoir west of Laggan are, if there are any :)

TIA for tips & tricks!
Sjiep
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Re: Any good wildcamping spots near Laggan

Postby rockhopper » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:44 am

I've been out that way a couple of times for the munro and the corbetts but can't recall anything specific. There was a bothy out by Melgarve but that's quite a bit to the west of the reservoir. Maybe have a look at some photos via the link below - there may be some suitable spots beside the canal between Loch Crunachdan and the reservoir close to an old unused Wade bridge for example.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2254091

https://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=714139
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby fhaggis » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:20 pm

Depends on what your doing but I camped in the field next to the church across from the public toilets when I did the EHW
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Guinessman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:43 pm

Normally camp at Garva Bridge when coming though that way. Seem to recall fenced in farmland between the dam and Laggan. I knew some guys who camped on the north side of the loch on their TGO
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Sjiep » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:24 pm

fhaggis wrote:Depends on what your doing but I camped in the field next to the church across from the public toilets when I did the EHW

Oh, I'm walking the Corrieyairack pass to Fort Augustus. I suppose you are referring to public toilets / church at Laggan?

rockhopper wrote:I've been out that way a couple of times for the munro and the corbetts but can't recall anything specific. There was a bothy out by Melgarve but that's quite a bit to the west of the reservoir. Maybe have a look at some photos via the link below - there may be some suitable spots beside the canal between Loch Crunachdan and the reservoir close to an old unused Wade bridge for example.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2254091

https://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=714139

Melgarve would be a bit too far west yeah for me as I'm coming from Kingussie. That would make this a 40km stretch I think. Bit hefty for me. But perhaps it's worth continuing the previous day to Newtonmore instead of stopping at Kingussie. Wasn't aware there was a bothy at Melgarve. That does make it endearing to make a stop there.

PS 2nd link leads to nothing, but the area along the canal as shown on first link seems like it'd make a good spot.

thanks!
Sjiep
Hill Bagger

Postby rockhopper » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Sjiep wrote:PS 2nd link leads to nothing, but the area along the canal as shown on first link seems like it'd make a good spot.
thanks!

For info, the second link takes you to the geograph page for NN5593 square kilometre and you can see all the photos relating to that square. You can use the map section at the top to move to adjacent squares and see photos from that square as well.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Old Stag » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:52 am

Be aware there is a lot of construction work going on from just west of Laggan on the 'Melgarve Substation' so this might limit any wild camp spots, it did for me in September. I camped in a little clearing under Dun da Lamh.
You might find a spot on the north bank of the river beyond Laggan but it is near the road.
There's also another non mba bothy in the area that might suit you but I don't want to name it although if you look at East Highland Way blogs you'll find it easily.
Old Stag

Postby lochlaggan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:53 am

IMG_20190803_120623718.jpg

Loch Laggan beach!
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby fhaggis » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:37 pm

The bothy is cracking but about nah hour away from Lagan so prob to far
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Postby Sjiep » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:13 pm

fhaggis wrote:The bothy is cracking but about nah hour away from Lagan so prob to far

I'm not quite down with the Scottish tongue...what does nah stand for?

Until when are the construction activities scheduled? I am planning this trip for only May next year, but if the area is going to be a big construction site I might bypass it completely.
Sjiep
Hill Bagger

Postby fhaggis » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:11 pm

Lol sorry, just a typo.

If you want a quiet campsite and are just planning to get your head down and be away early camp next to the church, benefits of the toilets, though they where closed when I was there in April. Got some water from one of the houses.

I walked from Lagan last kingnusie that day and it was the best walk of the day by far, the bothy was roughly an hour from Lagan so maybe a great place to stop if your coming from kingnusie, also plenty of wild camping spots around there.

Have fun
fhaggis
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion