walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Binnein in the snow

Stob Binnein in the snow

Postby U059361 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:07 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Binnein

Date walked: 08/11/2019

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 1100m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Icy road into Inverlochlarig, but not impossible. Could see Stob Binnein from the road covered in snow. Looking forward to getting up there onto my favourite ridge for another walk through the snow. Been a couple of years since I did it last. The path up from the car park has a few more stone steps in it to avoid some of the muddier parts. Ice was on some of the parts, despite the sun shining brightly on the slope and it feeling comfortable. Good to get to the style over the fence, a large part of the initial climb is over. Once up on top, views over lochs Voil and Doine towards Vorlich.
The boggy part to the next climb was frozen solid, great, don't have to worry too much about where to walk. The wind biting up here though, so on with another layer. Once up on to the start of the ridge, the walking is great even in the snow. I put spikes on just in case, some bits were icy. The views are superb all around. Walking up Stob Coire an Lochan was straight forward. Light wind, sunny, hardly a cloud in sight.
ImageStob Coire an Lochan and Cruach Ardain by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStob Binnein and Stob Coire an Lochan by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLooking back down ridge from Stob Coire an Lochan by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
There were a couple of sets of footprints, but no sign of the walkers, I presume they must have headed to Ben More. It is always a test to get up Stob Binnein from the final ridge as the climb gets steeper and steeper. The snow makes it energy sapping too. Was surprised and relieved to finally get up there. The wind by now was pretty keen. Took my photos but didn't hang around despite the views all around.
ImageBen More and Glen Dochart by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStob Coire an Lochan from Stob Binnein by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Coming back down, passed a man heading up, only person I saw on the hill. Only took an hour and a half to get back down not including my stop to eat lunch in the sun out of the wind, which had picked up.
ImageLochs Doine and Voil by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The final drop down looks really steep from the top and sore on the legs coming down. Glad to get to the car park.
Still my favourite ridge walk.
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Stob Binnein in the snow

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Looks like a bit more snow than I had on Cruachan a week earlier despite being told by a local all that had now melted. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Stob Binnein in the snow

Postby Grisu » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:48 pm

I enjoyed your swift report given the expression that you were going swift-footed despite getting sore legs :D
From the road the two munros look somehow quite intimidating to me but your report gives the impression that it is an enjoyable walk, nothing to worry about too much.
The pictures are great :clap: ! Thanks! :clap: :clap:
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland