walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Post avr surgery first munro

Post avr surgery first munro

Postby Postavrbagger » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:04 pm

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan

Date walked: 24/10/2019

Time taken: 4 hours

Ascent: 1126m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What’s the point” was a longstanding view of mine to hill climbing never mind munro bagging.
July 3rd 2019 I went through open heart mechanical valve replacement surgery. Totally indebted to all teams involved at the Golden Jubilee National Hospital. Cardio physio recovery involved a routine of sustained walking. My wife supported me in building up a walking routine. My wife’s comment “I am getting into this walking” prompted a crazy thought...could we manage a munro.

“What’s the point” turned into “this could be a celebration of life”

Online map studies. Walkhighlands stories and posts. You tube videos.... Ben Cruachan was in our sights.

16 weeks post mechanical heart valve replacement...Ben Cruachan bagged!

We still find it hard to take in...a cardiac journey from hospital bed to the top of Ben Cruachan.

The climb....Thursday morning 08:50 start. Yes a bit uphill by the Falls of Cruachan like a training ground for what is ahead. Great views looking back to Loch Awe captured in early sunlight. It is getting steeper, a bit of clambering. Oh here is the style over the fence we noted from videos and posts..a few rungs missing but a gate to squeeze through. The woodland past the falls opens up a bit boggy underfoot..we have not even had sight of the dam yet..Then..Yes there it is..to be honest we thought if we made it to the dam we would be doing well..a dizzy spell combined with turning around quickly with a foot slip brought me slumped on my bum..maybe the making it to the dam will do us.
4F730630-E47B-478D-82C6-5D404D830A5C.jpeg
Reached the dam

On to the dam an impressive man made structure. We expected a straight ladder climb as noted in a video up onto the dam but a flight ladder is here now.
We seen the dam, we saw no ridge, the mist was lying low.
772DBFC7-BB63-4ACB-AA89-EFE142B09277.jpeg
Where is the horseshoe ridge?

Onward then with the welcomed flatter walk on the left hand of the dam. Let’s press on..Up by the series of waterfalls, steeper, more boggy.
The download link from walkhighlands walk route to google earth kept us on track, something we checked a number of times, as the weather was getting worse...rain, wind, mist. We got to the Lochan we had noted in the posts we had read.
The weather was getting rougher with poor visibility. “I am not coming this far just to go back now” my wife said to my more cautious comment “is it wise to go on”

D6398394-4A3C-406A-B6DA-93176548FB87.jpeg
Not going back now

Pressing on then with the clamber, steep, slower progress, heavier breathing. Is that the summit ahead through the mist...is this our first munro? NO...peering through the mist at this ridge...more to go.
E8AE12CB-F264-4321-8312-CCBAF5BD461C.jpeg
Through the mist..More to go

Where have all these boulders come from, it is like someone has dumped then here.
0BB125F3-8E98-4D77-BAD3-D7470DB4AA8B.jpeg
Boulder scramble

We had another false summit...”are you kidding me” “Ben Cruachan never ends” came the shouts.
ACF3E230-EE31-40E0-8857-E75A5F1A9754.jpeg
Never ends

Surely that vague shape through the mist must be it. The boulders are huge. A steep clamber. A few clambers a few deep breaths............THIS IS IT........MADE IT.......16 WEEKS POST AVR...TOP OF BEN CRUACHAN. Just under 4 hours climb.
9A7D7ECB-680A-45DC-B960-BDC1B34A1AA0.jpeg
16 weeks post avr

3C7BA2EC-5906-47DE-A29A-85BAC3B9DF55.jpeg
First Munro bagged

5760E5D3-EB0D-4041-98D3-D6A39F61CE35.jpeg

The achievement was there but the views were not. No view. No horseshoe ridge visible to Stob Daimh.
Down again? The way we came seemed the most sensible in the weather. A cautious descent with loose ground.
We were treated to a brief glimpse of the horseshoe ridge as mist cleared on the descent for a time nearer the dam
9E2B4944-E640-4C5C-A50E-15D1B1B0A81A.jpeg
Horse-shoe ridge glimpse on descent

...next time..better weather...we will manage the ridge walk to Sob Daimh. It is in our sights.
Postavrbagger
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   

Re: Post avr surgery first munro

Postby Sgurr » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:25 pm

Fantastic. Well done you. Cruachan can achieve the impossible: when we reached the summit, a Rangers supporter was sharing a beer with his new found friend, a Celtic supporter with only the occasional friendly insult. And now you, with your mechanical valve. Hooray!
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:31 am

Nice one. What a journey. You're hooked now!
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Grisu » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:35 pm

Congratulation and all the best for the next munros!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby wee black dug » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Excellent stuff - genuinely impressive. All the more so given that Cruachan's not exactly the easiest one you could have chosen!

Hope you keep on enjoying your days on the hills.

:D
wee black dug

Munros:212   Corbetts:11
Donalds:2
Islands:11

Postby Bruno » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:31 am

Well done you and your wife.
I can absolutely empathise. Getting back to the hills and standing on the top was an incredible feeling. More power to both of you, and best wishes for many happy healthy hill days - in all weathers!!
Iain :clap: :clap:
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland