walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall na Leitreach, a nice, easy winter corbett

Meall na Leitreach, a nice, easy winter corbett

Postby gld73 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:20 pm

Route description: Meall na Leitreach, from Dalnaspidal

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall na Leitreach

Date walked: 16/11/2019

Time taken: 2.4 hours

Distance: 7.75 km

Ascent: 407m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I wasn't optimistic by the time I was a few miles south of Inverness, the A9 was in fog all the way from Slochd to the Drumochter Pass. I'd set off with the intention of doing a corbett near Tummel Bridge on my way to Edinburgh, but by Aviemore, vowed just to do the first hill I saw that wasn't in cloud just so I'd do something, somewhere. I was surprised to see a couple of cars in each of the lay-bys around Dalwhinnie and Drumochter for doing each of the hills or groups of hills - hardy souls I thought, won't be getting any views today.
Couldn't believe it when I drove through the Pass and suddenly the Sow of Atholl appeared on my right, beautifully clear.

So I had a few seconds to suddenly decide to pull over there at Dalnaspidal; I've done the Sow before, but not Meall na Leitreach, the neighbouring corbett, so decided I'd do that. Enjoyed it, a nice easy one for winter, good to do when passing it rather than making a special trip for a 2.5hr walk. Looks like it would be a boggy one in warmer conditions than these, but today the bottom half of the track was frozen and the top half was frozen and covered in snow, so ideal conditions for this straightforward, short walk.
Sow of Atholl on left, A9 N of Pass in fog.JPG
On the ascent, looking back down to the A9 heading north into the low cloud. Sow of Atholl on the left.

Looking down from the hill, I could see it was just the A9 which was in thick fog, the hills were all clear - Anyone driving up from the south of the Pass would see that, but anyone driving down from the north would probably have turned round and gone home, not realising it was a lovely cloud inversion rather than miserable fog!
Leaving the track and heading to the summit cairn.JPG
Leaving the track and heading to the summit cairn

Meall na Leitreach summit looking S to Schiehallion.JPG
Meall na Leitreach summit, looking S (Schiehallion in the distance)

Schiehallion zoomed from Meall na Leitreach summit.JPG
Schiehallion zoomed

No-one else on this hill today, and saw some hoof prints but no foot prints. Not a lot to say about the actual route - just followed the track (or my best guess of it when sections were obscured by snow), then veered off to the cairn at the high point of the track. Returned the same way, then jumped back in the car to continue my journey south. Beats stopping at a service station!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Meall na Leitreach, a nice, easy winter corbett

Postby Coop » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:17 pm

Must stop next time heading north and go up this one.
Last time I got my car stuck on the ice down that road off the A9, left my axe, got hacked off, eventually got the car out, drove up the road a bit, realised I'd left my axe, went back for it, and eventually just went up The Sow.
Theres been a lot if inversions the past couple if days. Nice to see
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Meall na Leitreach, a nice, easy winter corbett

Postby gld73 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:29 am

Yes, the access road looked a bit iced up, so I parked by the bins at the top. Didn't want to turn a nice 2.5hr walk into a 2.5hr struggle to get my car back up the slope :lol:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland