walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Week in Assynt: Part Two

A Week in Assynt: Part Two

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:57 pm

Route description: Ben Hope

Munros included on this walk: Ben Hope

Date walked: 02/08/2019

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 7.7 km

Ascent: 913m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Link to Part One

For Wednesday we decided to visit a couple of locations quite close to ourselves. First off we popped in to see the evocative ruins of Ardvreck Castle and explore its surrounds. Even with quite a few tourists wandering about the charm remains undiminished.

Loch Assynt

Romance in the Stone

Allt na' Chalda Beag

Next off we visited the Bone Caves. The weather was a little hit and miss but it stayed relatively dry for our walk up and back down the glen. This is a fascinating place with a sense of how people lived so long ago, however the big disappointment was that how people live today was demonstrated by some unpleasant detritus left by some wild campers. Some individuals lack of respect for the environment never ceases to cause dismay. :(

Allt na Uamh waterfall

Allt na Uamh

Bone Caves

Creag nan Uamh

Time was running out for the week by now but with the weather due to be fine on Friday we earmarked it for a walk up Ben Hope. We still headed out into the iffy conditions on Thursday for a little potter around Knockan Crag, a fascinating location which ably demonstrates just how globally significant this wonderful area is.

A moody Lochan an Ais

Plenty weather about

Ready to Pounce

Hughie checks out the Moine Thrust

Things brightened up for the evening so I braved the midge and squelched my way to the shore of Cam Loch to watch the sun set behind the mighty Suilven. Conditions were not as dramatic as Wednesday but it was still a great experience to spend the end of the day in such a majestic location.

Tranquil Cam Loch

Under the Weather

Suilven Sunset

Even though our cottage for the week was North of Ullapool, at Strathcannaird, this is not quite that far enough North :shock: as it was still the best part of two hours to get to the parking area at the foot of the Ben Hope trail. Once again Grace sat this one out, disappointing but what can you do.

it was a gorgeous morning as we quickly suited and booted to avoid the worst of the midges and set off up the trail. With a touch of mist still hanging to the crags and the sun shining brightly from clear blue skies it was truly idyllic as we passed the many beautiful cascades of the Allt na Caillich. The views up and down the Glen seemed to get better with just about every meter of height gained as we steadily made progress upwards.

Strathmore meadows

Strath More

Falls on the Allt na Caillich

North up the Glen

....and South

More waterfalls

Gaining height

Hughie

...and again

Views opening up

A Little morning mist lingering

Once things flattened out a bit we had a break admiring the ever improving vista which now included Foinaven and friends, the shattered quartzite ridges shining brightly in the sun. I'd love them to come under my boots one day, another for the list.

Looking over to the Quartzite Hills

Looking South

Lazy summer days

From here it was a steady walk up to the summit where we were greated by some jaw dropping views. Looking to the east at the empty land of Crag and lochan was amazing, there was a little cloud around to curtail things slightly but this only served to enhance the atmosphere. Following lunch I wandered over to the end of the ridge but by the time I got there cloud had settled on the northern nose of the mountain meaning I didn't see much. Once the sun went in and the midge rose from the ground it was time to head back the way we came.

Ben Hope Textures

Taking a breather

Foinaven and friends

Hughie once again

Wide open spaces

Foinaven mono

Looking South East

Suilven and Quinag

King in the North

Stunning View to the East

...and to the South West

Bit of clag coming in

Cairn on the edge of the ridge

Not a lot to see :(

Quartzite mountains again

It was a lovely easy descent back to the car, and seeing all the great views again was hardly a hardship. Hughie led the way for the most part, and seemingly had a great time enjoying a bit of freedom. Once back at the car and driving home we actually got a clear view of Ben Loyal, I've been up this way a few times but this was the first clear view I've had, certainly another for the ever expanding to do list.

Heading down

Loch Hope

Hughie leads the way

Strathmore River

Ben Hope

Ben Loyal

Ben Hope.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So the end of a memorable week in the far North West. I must say this area has replaced Skye as my favourite part of Scotland, yes plenty people still come up here in the summer but the numbers seem manageable, unlike Skye which on our last visit was clearly creaking under the ever expanding visitor numbers with the honey pots completely overwhelmed. I'm already counting the days till I return.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A Week in Assynt: Part Two

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:27 pm

Great pics of a great area once again. Strangely, Strathcanaird or Ullapool is a bit awkward for getting to the Ben Hope area. Probably just as quick to get there from Inverness. :?

A far better drive from Ullapool though. All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby R1ggered » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:19 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Great pics of a great area once again. Strangely, Strathcanaird or Ullapool is a bit awkward for getting to the Ben Hope area. Probably just as quick to get there from Inverness. :?

Great report. Ben Hope is a great mountain and location to walk and climb. Hopefully you did not miss the historic Dun Dornaigil broch which you would pass just a few miles south of the car park at ben Hope.
R1ggered
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   

Postby R1ggered » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:56 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Link to Part One

For Wednesday we decided to visit a couple of locations quite close to ourselves. First off we popped in to see the evocative ruins of Ardvreck Castle and explore its surrounds. Even with quite a few tourists wandering about the charm remains undiminished.

Loch Assynt

Romance in the Stone

Allt na' Chalda Beag

Next off we visited the Bone Caves. The weather was a little hit and miss but it stayed relatively dry for our walk up and back down the glen. This is a fascinating place with a sense of how people lived so long ago, however the big disappointment was that how people live today was demonstrated by some unpleasant detritus left by some wild campers. Some individuals lack of respect for the environment never ceases to cause dismay. :(

Allt na Uamh waterfall

Allt na Uamh

Bone Caves

Creag nan Uamh

Time was running out for the week by now but with the weather due to be fine on Friday we earmarked it for a walk up Ben Hope. We still headed out into the iffy conditions on Thursday for a little potter around Knockan Crag, a fascinating location which ably demonstrates just how globally significant this wonderful area is.

A moody Lochan an Ais

Plenty weather about

Ready to Pounce

Hughie checks out the Moine Thrust

Things brightened up for the evening so I braved the midge and squelched my way to the shore of Cam Loch to watch the sun set behind the mighty Suilven. Conditions were not as dramatic as Wednesday but it was still a great experience to spend the end of the day in such a majestic location.

Tranquil Cam Loch

Under the Weather

Suilven Sunset

Even though our cottage for the week was North of Ullapool, at Strathcannaird, this is not quite that far enough North :shock: as it was still the best part of two hours to get to the parking area at the foot of the Ben Hope trail. Once again Grace sat this one out, disappointing but what can you do.

it was a gorgeous morning as we quickly suited and booted to avoid the worst of the midges and set off up the trail. With a touch of mist still hanging to the crags and the sun shining brightly from clear blue skies it was truly idyllic as we passed the many beautiful cascades of the Allt na Caillich. The views up and down the Glen seemed to get better with just about every meter of height gained as we steadily made progress upwards.

Strathmore meadows

Strath More

Falls on the Allt na Caillich

North up the Glen

....and South

More waterfalls

Gaining height

Hughie

...and again

Views opening up

A Little morning mist lingering

Once things flattened out a bit we had a break admiring the ever improving vista which now included Foinaven and friends, the shattered quartzite ridges shining brightly in the sun. I'd love them to come under my boots one day, another for the list.

Looking over to the Quartzite Hills

Looking South

Lazy summer days

From here it was a steady walk up to the summit where we were greated by some jaw dropping views. Looking to the east at the empty land of Crag and lochan was amazing, there was a little cloud around to curtail things slightly but this only served to enhance the atmosphere. Following lunch I wandered over to the end of the ridge but by the time I got there cloud had settled on the northern nose of the mountain meaning I didn't see much. Once the sun went in and the midge rose from the ground it was time to head back the way we came.

Ben Hope Textures

Taking a breather

Foinaven and friends

Hughie once again

Wide open spaces

Foinaven mono

Looking South East

Suilven and Quinag

King in the North

Stunning View to the East

...and to the South West

Bit of clag coming in

Cairn on the edge of the ridge

Not a lot to see :(

Quartzite mountains again

It was a lovely easy descent back to the car, and seeing all the great views again was hardly a hardship. Hughie led the way for the most part, and seemingly had a great time enjoying a bit of freedom. Once back at the car and driving home we actually got a clear view of Ben Loyal, I've been up this way a few times but this was the first clear view I've had, certainly another for the ever expanding to do list.

Heading down

Loch Hope

Hughie leads the way

Strathmore River

Ben Hope

Ben Loyal

Ben Hope.gpx

So the end of a memorable week in the far North West. I must say this area has replaced Skye as my favourite part of Scotland, yes plenty people still come up here in the summer but the numbers seem manageable, unlike Skye which on our last visit was clearly creaking under the ever expanding visitor numbers with the honey pots completely overwhelmed. I'm already counting the days till I return.

Great report. Ben Hope is a great mountain and location to walk and climb. Hopefully you did not miss the historic Dun Dornaigil broch which you would pass just a few miles south of the car park at ben Hope
R1ggered
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:01 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Great pics of a great area once again. Strangely, Strathcanaird or Ullapool is a bit awkward for getting to the Ben Hope area. Probably just as quick to get there from Inverness. :?

Many thanks, I didn't really think about Inverness area if I'm honest, worth considering for any future trips to the glorious far north.

R1ggered wrote:Great report. Ben Hope is a great mountain and location to walk and climb. Hopefully you did not miss the historic Dun Dornaigil broch which you would pass just a few miles south of the car park at ben Hope.

Many thanks. We did see it as we passed, looks a very evocative location.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Silverhill » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:03 pm

Stunning pictures of one of my favourite parts of Scotland. The view east from Ben Hope is truly special 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:41 am

Silverhill wrote:Stunning pictures of one of my favourite parts of Scotland. The view east from Ben Hope is truly special 8)

Thank you very much. That view is certainly up there for me.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland