walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beautiful day on the Ring of Steall

Beautiful day on the Ring of Steall

Postby Grisu » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:53 pm

Route description: The Ring of Steall, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 03/07/2018

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1744m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Second day, I parked my car in Achriabach and set off for the Ring of Steall about 8:40 am. Again it was a wonderful morning and I enjoyed the peaceful and beautiful scenery along the Water of Nevis and through the woodland.
DSC00094php690.jpg

DSC00097php690.jpg

Only the last section on tarmac was a bit boring. After roughly an hour I passed the parking at the end of the road where I had a little chat with a young couple who was a bit concerned about the water supply for their dog on this long walk because it was alreday quite hot.
Another pleasant walk through woodland followed until I reached the more open valley with the waterfalls.
DSC00114php690.jpg
Water of Nevis and the Waterfall in the distance

At the cable-steel-bridge I met two walkers, father and son, who bravely edged across it.
DSC00119php690.jpg
cabel-steel-bridge

DSC00120php690.jpg
The shallows

I was unusually circumspect and paddled across the shallows, slipped and got a wet bump :roll:
At the waterfall I tried to take some pcitures but there was an awful lot of glaegs attacking me so I took my flight over very boggy ground, and got a wet food too. Soon after I reached the crossing of the burn and the ascend started, still attacked by clegs :crazy: After two, three days the stiches became a real torture and it took about 10-14 days until the itch ceased eventually.
DSC00131php690.jpg
Looking back to majestic Ben Nevis

DSC00141php690.jpg
Looking down to Glen Nevis and the Water

After the second crossing of the Allt Coire Chadha Chaoruinn I met father and son again. We were a little bit confused about the path which was not very distinct. But after a thorough map-check we finally decided we couldn't be too wrong and everybody continued walking uphill his and hers pace.
DSC00144php690.jpg
Love it

DSC00151php690.jpg
Glen Nevis with the surrounding peaks.

Very soon I reached the zigzag, was up the Corrie and on my first summit of the day: An Guerachan.
DSC00160php690.jpg
Happy feet on An Guerachan

Once on the first summit there was nothing much to worry about, the clegs had disappeared finally and the path didn't give me any reason for confusion. I enjoyed this ridge walk very much. Although the sky has become cloudcovered it was still very warm to go short/short and the shadows were quite welcome against the burning sun - am I in Scotland? :wink: .
Whenever I tell friends where I spent my holidays they always say Wow! Scotland! I would like to go to Scotland to but the weather :lol: :lol: :lol: So far, at least I have no complains about the weather in Scotland :wink: Sccotland is very kind to me - THANKS :D
After a short break I resumed my walk over An Garbhanach to the second Munro:
DSC00168php690.jpg
Allt Coire a' Mhaìl with Ben Nevis in the background

DSC00170php690.jpg
Looking back to the nice sharp ridge of An Garbhanach

DSC00174php690.jpg
Second summit of the day: Stob Coire a' Càrn

DSC00175php690.jpg
Views from Stob Coire a' Càrn

DSC00177php690.jpg

DSC00178php690.jpg

DSC00180php690.jpg
Allt Coire na Ba and Buachille Etive Mor (may be both or only Beag?)

At the summit of Am Bodach I met a walker who has come from Kinlochmore. I asked him about the surroundings and from him I learned to recognized the typical shape of Schiehallion which has kept hidden to me on my walk last year. His voice sounded a bit surprised that I didn't recognized this impressive cone, may be he thought that someone who is doing the Ring of Steall would know, sorry but thanks for the information!
DSC00189php690.jpg
Schiehallion from the summit of Am Bodach

DSC00191php690.jpg
Views around from Am Bodach - may be Stob Ban to the right?

DSC00196php690.jpg
Loch Leven from Am Bodach

DSC00200php690.jpg
Somebody has put a little sculpture on the cairn, there was a card attached with some information but I can't remember anymore.

My contemplative walk to the last Munro suddenly got disturbed:
Collage Hubschrabuer690.jpg
Mountain rescue watching out at Sgùrr an lubhair

DSC00203php690.jpg
Allt Coire a' Mhàil with Ben Nevis

DSC00217php690.jpg
On my way to the last sumit

DSC00219php690.jpg
Bealach a' Chip

DSC00222php690.jpg
Outlook towards the "snowy" summit

DSC00226php690.jpg
Looking back the Devil's Ridge but the devil kept quite today :-)

DSC00227php690.jpg
Impressive shape

DSC00229php690.jpg
Looking back

At the summit of Sgurr a'Mhaim I got outrun by two mountain runners :roll: always amazing :clap: :clap: We had a little chat and soon they set off and were jumping down the scree and the slopes that it made me feel dizzy only by watching them, as usual wondering how they manage not to slip or break an ankle :roll:
DSC00233php690.jpg
Summit views from Sgurr a' Mhaim

DSC00234php690.jpg
Summit views

DSC00237php690.jpg
View towards Loch Linnhe

DSC00239php690.jpg
At the end of a day your feet should be dirty, your hair messy and your eyes sparkling - it was a perfect day!

The descend took me almost two hours :crazy: I was very happy that I have parked my car at Achriabhach and not at the end of the road of the Glen!
DSC00245php690.jpg
The scree

DSC00250php690.jpg
The slopes

But at the end all the struggle was forgotton almost immediately and the joy about having completed this GREAT MEGA-WALK on my own predominated :D .
DSC00263php690.jpg
Down in the valley

DSC00266php690.jpg
Looking back and saying good-bye to the mountain

What remains of this day is a wonderful walk, the amazing view and stunning scenery, the chats, the Heli, the runners, the steep slopes back and most of all throughout the day the company of the impressive shape of:
DSC00130php690.jpg

Ben Nevis
beautiful and majestic
like a guardian
among its neighbours,
present in peaceful silence,
undisturbed by the elements,
timeless,
restful,
eternal. :wink:
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Beautiful day on the Ring of Steall

Postby Silverhill » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:59 pm

Great hills these are! Now you know what Schiehallion looks like, you'll be scanning the horizons for it no matter what hill you're on :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Coop » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:50 am

Great report and it's a great circuit.
The view from An Gearanach looking at the way ahead was like, " wow, I've all that to do"
Well in
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Grisu » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:01 am

Yes :thumbup: :D
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland