walkhighlands

Check this board for announcements about new features and content on Walkhighlands

Post reply blocked.

Post reply blocked.

Postby gaffr » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:59 am

It seems obvious that an individual can block a reply to a Post on here.
I had heard that this can be done with e mails where spammers and pests can be thwarted but on this Forum?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Post reply blocked.

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:57 am

Sorry, I'm not really sure what you are asking to do here, or what the problem is.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby gaffr » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:55 am

Hello.... My problem with a post reply is the same as those who posted the problem in the section below. The same red ink message from the same source.
So far happened just once when replying to a walk however on a further reply on another occasion...no problem.
My mail is with BT although I have an additional Hotmail address to enable me to use the Google and Microsoft stuff.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:24 am

I thought you meant you wanted to block someone!

It's an automatic thing on most forums that any posts (not just replies) will be blocked if they are posted from an IP address (the address of a particular computer) has been used to send commercial spam emails or to attempt to hack into sites. If you are getting the message that your IP address is blocked by spamhaus, it's to do with your internet provider, many of whom switch IP addresses between customers at certain times, which means you can be penalised for someone else's hacking activities/ sending mass spam. This is carried out by a third party organisation called spamhaus, that records bad behaviour - if you get on their list it will affect many websites.

You can ask your IP to request it to be unblocked - you'd need to tell them the string of 4 numbers connected by fullstops that shows on the screen.

The other quicker solution some mentioned was to turn off your router for a few minutes, then turn it back on - then the bad ip address will likely be given to someone else.

Though you seem to be posting OK from your home internet now, so it looks like any problem you had on this front has already gone away?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walkhighlands announcements and feedback