walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Misty Hart Fell Horseshoe

Misty Hart Fell Horseshoe

Postby kleighton » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:49 pm

Route description: Hart Fell ridges horseshoe, near Moffat

Corbetts included on this walk: Hart Fell

Donalds included on this walk: Hart Fell, Swatte Fell, Under Saddle Yoke

Date walked: 24/11/2019

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 886m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mild weather for November. Snow all melted and boggy underfoot. Foggy from about 500m.
Initial ascent up Hang Burn steep and exhilirating with good path. As the ground levelled off a number of paths emerged. I drifted eastwards but soon regained the route nearer the burn which led up to Blackcraig. The mist was down and visibility reduced to a few metres but path was straightforward. I left the path to go to Swatte Fell summit through bog with peat hags then back to the track to Hart Fell summit.
The second part of horseshoe was interesting. I did not see any views but the terrain was undulating with a path for most of the way. After leaving the fence on descent from Hart Fell Rig a path leads through boggy ground following the Walkhighland route. There were some branches off the path but with careful navigation I managed to keep in the right direction.
Under Saddle Yoke and Saddle Yoke were highlights of the walk. The ridge is superbe. Descent again was by a clear steep path and back along the track.
A wonderful day.
Attachments
20191124_113801.jpg
Fence from Swatte Fell to Hart Fell
20191124_113733.jpg
Misty Hart Fell Summit
kleighton
Munro compleatist

Munros:224   Corbetts:27
Fionas:52   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:36   Hewitts:2

Re: Misty Hart Fell Horseshoe

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:27 am

Looks like similar conditions to when I did this route.

I managed to miss the last descent path down to the track so it was a bit rough but a really enjoyable route (even if I need to go back for the views).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland