walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

arthritis

arthritis

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:00 pm

I know I have touched on this subject before but it seems to be getting worse.....knees and hips.

Partner suggests I take Paracetomol before walking but not sure that is a long term solution as it seems I am 'disguising' further damage so has anyone tried that route before considering surgery etc...?

ta
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Re: arthritis

Postby Sgurr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:37 pm

Husband used to take ibuprofen which "disguised" it enough to be tolerable...then, as he was put on warfarin wasn't allowed it. .He just went slower and hobbled until he was talking to consultant about new knee, which is now not an option due to other health issues, so he got a massive cortisone injection, which was wonderful for 3 months. I don't think you can have more than 3 per year....but this is asking other patients, not consultant. My advice is GET YOUR OPERATIONS DONE asap before other conditions block it, as husband is now stuck with injections,,,,mind you, they are excellent.

HOWEVER we met a young guy about 35 who had trashed his knee fell running and he just has to put up with it, as although they do hips twice, they only do knees once and he doesn't want to get to 50 and find he can't walk at all....they seem to last only 15 years...however, this is better than friend with new kidney, which seems to be packing in after 6 (average is 10)

Oh GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

It all depends how old you are I suppose as to when you want to schedule these things.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:36 pm

thanks Sgurr

I am a young (ahem) 63 year old reaping the rewards of over 40 years hill walking (don't get me on the subject of my feet) - I just used to point my legs in the right direction and off they went.

I guess I could sort of shuffle along but its driving me nuts (see thread on mental health) that my joints are complaining now (maybe I am being unfair here on a body that has seen me right for so long) but the thought of giving up all the adventures I have planned.....

sob
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:40 am

CBD oil is an excellent anti inflammatory and much safer than taking over the counter or prescription painkillers.

Its safe and legal. Even Holland and Barrett sell it, but I would recommend this stuff:

https://www.flora-fusion.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Hemp-10ml-3200x3200px.jpg
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby DavidShepherd » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:56 am

Not sure this would help, but a colleague of mine who is also a walker swears by his physiotherapy appointments when his athritis gets to bad.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby Gareth Harper » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:09 pm

A daily stretching regime for your legs might help, that’s if you don’t have one already. I’m just a mere 51 but if I don’t stretch pretty much every day, I suffer. Some swear by fish oil and or turmeric, and I can’t see them doing any harm. I spend 10-15 minutes stretching after a walk and before I get in the car to drive home. I take one over the counter Ibuprofen after a hill walk – seems to help.

But if you are really struggling get professional advice. See a sports physio, if ness see a consultant and get a diagnosis.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ChrisButch » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:38 pm

In my case it's osteoarthritis in the neck. Now the bones have fused, the issue isn't so much pain but the fact that it's given me a permanently stooped posture. This has fundamentally affected balance - centre of gravity has moved forward, so I'm no longer footsure on steep ground . It's meant more or less relearning how to walk, but I'm gradually getting the hang of it.
ChrisButch

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:39 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:I know I have touched on this subject before but it seems to be getting worse.....knees and hips.

Partner suggests I take Paracetomol before walking but not sure that is a long term solution as it seems I am 'disguising' further damage so has anyone tried that route before considering surgery etc...?

ta

I think I have contributed to similar threads before, but here are my thoughts

- I have one artificial knee (hence my nickname, with apologies to Nigel Blackwell - himself a walker, of course!).

- the metal knee has genuinely given me a new lease of life (I am 56, operation was done about 4 years ago). Before my op, a walk in the park was challenging and painful. Now, I am making plans for a week in the Cuillin next spring.

- however there are certain things I avoid. I used to do expedition-style trips abroad, and multi-day linear routes, which involve heavy load carrying. I avoid that now.

- the corollary of that is: everything you can do to reduce weight, and therefore impact on the joints, is good.

- when walking up or down slopes, I take small steps - as small as possible. They look absurdly small to many walkers, as if I am hardly moving at all. But I find it a great help in reducing impact.

- I use poles, with rubber tips, to minimise impact and jarring. But they are a personal choice - and I do find they get in the way when scrambling.

- the physio exercises are brilliant. When I was off work for the operation, I treated the exercises as "my job".

- many of the routes on WH will do 2 or more peaks in a day. I tend to look at ways to shorten the distance walked and height climbed. So I will often do just one hill in a day, even if there is another summit nearby. I think it is better to spend the time in stopping to look at the view.

- my other knee needs replacing. I've had the cortisone injections in it for a couple of years. They help a bit - but for me, they are not really the answer. Their effectiveness varies from person to person, and on the severity of the arthritis.

- I've not tried any alternative remedies; I'm naturally sceptical. I tend to agree with Ben Goldacre's view - that most of the apparent benefits are down to the placebo effect.

- however, (another corollary) there is one amazing "alternative remedy". I think it is the biggest factor of all, apart from the surgery. It is the mental element in managing pain.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:32 pm

thanks everyone - their are some really encouraging comments here and yes I agree there is an element of mentally 'managing' pain that I really should look into a lot more.

Interestingly (to me anyway) is that the worse knee/hip is on my right which I think maybe my leading/push off side when scrambling and going up hill....so if I seek to use my left side more...?
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby DavidShepherd » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:41 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:thanks everyone - their are some really encouraging comments here and yes I agree there is an element of mentally 'managing' pain that I really should look into a lot more.

Interestingly (to me anyway) is that the worse knee/hip is on my right which I think maybe my leading/push off side when scrambling and going up hill....so if I seek to use my left side more...?

You'll probably find you'll start over compensating and get pain from something else :)
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:30 pm

cheers mate!!! :D
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby Outnabout » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:29 pm

Have you ever looked into active recovery, light resistance exercises with bands to keep the blood flow in the area and hopefully reducing the pain, have a look at Kelly Starrett who's somewhat of an expert in this field. Hope you get it sorted.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:13 pm

When I was in my late 20's / early 30's I developed terrible arthritis in both my knees, which became very obvious half way through most walks and sometimes slowed me down considerably I was in so much pain. I sought advice from doctors and from other walkers and was given the following advice: 1. Use footbeds in my boots that maintain correct posture. 2. be careful with my foot placement on the ground. 3. It's not a race, slow down and enjoy the walk.
Well, the arthritis gradually disappeared after a year or so and I've had 30 odd years of pain free walking. Painkillers were not necessary.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby mynthdd2 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:56 am

Thanks for all the suggestions - what has worked miracles for me at the moment is change of footwear. Not being a fashionista (?) I walk the city streets in my lightweight Scarpa boots and it this combination of hard surfaces and semi flexible soles that has been the main culprit for aching joints.

Now walking city streets in Scrapa trainers which are much more flexible and have also put supportive in soles.

Result: not a twinge at all on said city streets or on lakeland fells :D

anyway - Happy Christmas one and all (you too Tiny Tim in the corner)
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Postby KMG59 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:43 pm

Glucosamine is great for arthritic joints, my knees were buggered to the point I could no longer get out on the hill, but a daily dose of glucosamine really sorted my creaky old knees a treat, am now back on the hill but without the pain.
KMG59
Mountaineer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion