walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cefn Yr Ystrad

Cefn Yr Ystrad

Postby woodie31 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:35 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Cefn yr Ystrad

Date walked: 24/03/2019

Time taken: 2

Distance: 7.7 km

Ascent: 335m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With the weather forecast looking good, I chose Cefn Yr Ystrad for my first walk of the year.
despite major roadworks on the A465 and a 25 mile diversion, I arrived at my starting point of the Pontsticill Reservoir for 0930 hours. Parking is limited in the area and I only just managed to park on the Dam, South East corner of the reservoir.

001.jpg
Parking available on South East Corner

My route was to be a straight up to the summit and retrace my steps down.
Walking South, away from the reservoir, down the minor road for a couple of hundred yards. There is a large metal gate on your left opposite the Treatment works.

004.jpg
Signposted path

An old path leads you uphill through another gate before you pass under a bridge for the Miniature Railway.

005.jpg
Miniature Railway bridge

The path continues up offering great views of the reservoir and the Brecons.

007.jpg
Pontsticill Reservoir

Continuing onwards and upwards I came to a small gate in the stone wall. I turned left here, continuing over the grassy moor passing the site of the old Aberciban quarry.

010.jpg
Aberciban Quarry

Before long I was on the main bridleway and was able to see the summit cairns.

011.jpg
Summit Cairn - Carn Y Bugail

Within 10 minutes I was at the Trig point. After taking an obligatory picture and wandering over to the two ancient Cairns of Bugail and Felen, it was time to head down.

022.jpg
Cefn Yr Ystrad Trip Point

It was surprising that despite the amount of cars in the area I was the only one on the hill. I did not see another walker until I reached the small gate.

The route took me approximately two hours. As you can see the weather was superb.
On returning to my car, I put the jetfoil on for a brew. A passing cyclist stopped for a chat. He informed me that there was a cafe a couple of hundred yards further up.
I had a wonder up the road. It is in fact a station for the miniature railway. You can purchase hot drinks and snacks, more importantly they have toilet facilities. There was no opening/closing signs, but would presume it is seasonal.
woodie31
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   
Hewitts:176
Wainwrights:75   

Re: Cefn Yr Ystrad

Postby bigkeith » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:21 pm

Looks like you had a beautiful day. Great info and pics - I've never been to the Brecon Beacons before but am planning on tackling the Hewitts there early in the New Year and your description will be very helpful :D .
bigkeith
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland