walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wether Hill, Galloway

Wether Hill, Galloway

Postby McMole » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:19 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Wether Hill

Date walked: 30/11/2019

Time taken: 2.7 hours

Distance: 12.2 km

Ascent: 300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The first available day with a good dry forecast for a fortnight tempted me south to a few miles west of Moniaive with Wether Hill in my sights. It was a straightforward two-hour twenty-minute drive with the temperature sub-zero all the way and dipping down to minus seven celsius.
Wether route s.gif
An on-line report of a local cottager telling another walker that he could drive up the wind farm access track from the south saw me there at a little after 10am to find 'PRIVATE' and 'NO PARKING@ signs now attached to the gates that are not on Google's Street View's 2009 images.
P1030983 s.JPG
The start of the track to the wind farm
With some doubts about the quality of the information and track I decided not to risk annoying the occupants of Yellow Craig and looked for parking nearby. I found it a little over 0.5km to the east at NX 6881 9201 where the 1:25000 map shows access to a quarry(dis).
P1030986 s.JPG
Parking at the disused quarry entrance
Yellow Craig was hidden by forestry as I walked along the track, though a fine pair of wrought iron gates were on display along with a CCTV sign. After a kilometre the wind farm came into view.
P1030973 2.JPG
The wind farm comes into view on Greengair
All the way to the wind farm gate with its own warning notices the track was, if anything, in better condition than the road. Sheltered by the trees it didn't have the same liberal coating of hoar frost with occasional patches of ice.
P1030974 s.JPG
Wind farm entrance with Greengair topped by its meteorological mast
From the gate the track climbed steadily as it meandered through the hills past the control cabin and then through the wind turbines to the summit ridge of Wether Hill.
P1030982 s.JPG
Zooming to the top of Greengair
As I rounded a cow-capped Greengair Hill I contemplated heading direct for the summit of Wether Hill, but it also had a few dozen cows distributed over its slopes so I decided against disturbing them. As it was I came across some that were near the track and a couple that were on it.
P1030980 s.JPG
They either nonchalantly inspected me as I passed by or took a few placid steps away. Nearing the summit I left the track and was soon at a small heap of stones with a metal rod announcing its position - NX 68647 94219.
P1030976.JPG
The summit cairn
Those last few hundred metres confirmed that my earlier thought of heading cross-country for the summit would have been slower. The frozen ground cover initially supported me as I trod on it only to then compress under my weight.
P1030977 s.JPG
Looking back at the access track and control cabin from the summit
P1030978 s.JPG
Southwards to Fell Hill and its crop of turbines
If it wasn't for the wind turbines the top would give fine views. At first I thought they'd lost one of the fifteen turbines shown on the 1:25,000 map. Then I realised the OS used exactly the same symbol regardless of the side of the fan, and one of the fifteen on the map was for the Met (Meteorological) mast. I returned by the same route meeting nobody and seeing no other wild life, though another van had arrived at the wind farm control cabin.

My initial plan was to collect another nearby Marilyn. That was only if there was time to get off the hill and be well on my way home before it was dark. Starting a bit later and walking further than planned meant that wouldn't be possible so I left that for another day.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland