walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bivvy, Milky Way and Inversion at Glencoe

Bivvy, Milky Way and Inversion at Glencoe

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:32 am

Route description: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste, from Altnafeidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste

Date walked: 16/11/2019

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had two great experiences on Beinn a Chrulaiste in the last few months so thought I would put them into one report.

Milkyway video :

The first trip was defined by me rushing to find a bivvy spot before darkness fell. I didn't want to be hiking up in the pitch black like the week before on Ben Chonzie. The distance up wasn't too much so I knew it wouldn't take too long to hike up, what I didn't account for was the amazing sunset which literally stopped me in my tracks! I just wish I had been on the top when this was happening - never mind (my next trip would make up for this!!) Another reason for my trip was that the night before an aurora storm had happened and it was forecast to last into Sunday morning, so my bivvy spot was set up on Chrulaiste's northern slopes with a grand view north towards the Mamore and The Ben, suitably placed should the aurora happen! It was a cracking evening and stars came out and with no moon it gave a great chance to capture the MilkyWay above Glencoe. When I woke in the morning, the cloud had drifted in so no great sunrise - that as to happen a few weeks later.......

Sunrise above the clouds video :

November 2019 , a great month:) cold weather had come in and hung around the mountains for a few weeks and with a rather promising forecast for the weekend, I headed back to Chrulaiste with the hope of some fog and an inversion to occur when I got there. As you can see from the video, things weren't looking too hopeful when I arrived but as the dawn approached he conditions got better and better. I let the video do the talking this time but needless to say it was a magical morning :)

Some photos from both trips below:

ImageGlencoe by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imageselfie Bookle stars by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagecrespiscular rays by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageGlencoe mists by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagecreise sunrise by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageGLNCOE CAR TRAILS 1- by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageMountain peaks by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageBuachaille Etive Mor by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageBuachaille Etive Mor by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: Bivvy, Milky Way and Inversion at Glencoe

Postby brpro26 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:21 am

Outstanding as ever. That Milky way shot with the headtorch is literally out of this world.
Ever considered doing a talk or exhibition of your work on how you manage to be so spawny lucky
to get these images. :clap: :lol: :lol:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby onsen » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:38 pm

Your enthusiasm for nature & the wilderness shines through...good stuff.
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:44 am

Absolutely breathtaking. Beyond words. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland