walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Happy Tourist on Ben Nevis

Happy Tourist on Ben Nevis

Postby Grisu » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:56 am

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 18/08/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1352m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It is not quite the right time to post another report of my backlog about a walk on a hot summer day. But I think it is worth if not for the report then for the pictures.

After yesterday's great experience with my first two munros I was happily looking forward to the next which was nothing less then the highest of all british mountains. :wink:
It was another lovely sunny morning but before we left Altshellach House in North Ballaculish I had a tough negotiation with today's guide. I simply couldn't stand another hot day in boots so I begged and pleaded to get permission to walk in my walking sandals. I made all kind of vows and promised to put my boots into my rucksack and to put them on if needed (although I hardly could imagine it after the briefing about the pony-track-trail the evening before). But the guide wouldn't allow. :shock: I was desperate and determined not to give up. Suddenly the guide said that he'll ask his colleague from yesterday's walk and he thought I would be okay and finally agreed. :thumbup: I didn't mind the extra weight in my rucksack and very relieved I got into the bus. :D

With about 20 people :shock: we had been a much bigger group than yesterday but we were all in a good mood when we set off from the visitor center.
DSC00918php690.jpg
Last instructions at the start

DSC00931php690.jpg
Everybody on its own pace during this part

DSC00932php690.jpg
Keep going

Above Lochan Meall an t-Suidhe we had our elevenses before we tackled the ZigZag.
DSC00949php690.jpg
Looking back to Lochan Meall an t-Suidhe

It became very busy now and we had to stop many times to let the people pass.
DSC00940php690.jpg
Scenery during the ascent

Nevertheless and to the surprise of our guide we reached the top well ahead of time.
DSC00960php690.jpg
Snowy patch short before the summit.

Thanks to that we had some more time for our lunch and to cue at the busy trigpoint for some tourist-pictures :wink:
DSC00968php690.jpg
Party on Ben Nevis

DSC00986php690.jpg
Happy tourist

Everybody was quite excited about the stunning views - a 2% chance the guide said to have such good visibility - how lucky we had been!
DSC00962php690.jpg
The huge plateau with the Cullins of Skye in the distance

DSC00970php690.jpg
Fascinating crags

DSC00976php690.jpg
Impressive escarpment

DSC00991php690.jpg
Views

DSC00996php690.jpg
and more views

Proudly I figured out my first two munros of yesterday's walk.
DSC00999php690.jpg
Sgorr Dhonuill and Sgorr Dhearg

DSC00975php690.jpg
The Cullins of Rum at the end of Loch Eil and Skye to the right

DSC01000php690.jpg
The Cullins of Rum zoomed

DSC01009php690.jpg
Loch Eil towards fascinating Cullins of Rum again

Finally we gathered to go back now facing the scenery which disappeared slowy in front of us while we descended in a leisurely pace.
DSC00995php690.jpg
View over Loch Linnhe

DSC00998php690.jpg
and towards Ben More

DSC01022php690.jpg
Happy tourists heading for the Ben Nevis Inn and Bunkhouse

At one point the group splitted involuntaryly. A smaller party of us was following the guide's wife in front who took an early turn right to a path which lead to the Youth Hostel.
Below we separated. While the others were heading for a pint at the Ben Nevis Inn and Bunkhouse I ambled along the River Nevis and finally made myself comfortable on a wall waiting for the others to come down.
DSC01026php690.jpg
View from my spot on the wall

DSC01037php690.jpg
Group is coming

Of course there was some talk about my sandals and when the guide was inspecting my feet at the end of the day he acknowledged not without some astonishment that I hadn't even a scratch on my painted nails. :D
DSC01034php690.jpg
Happy feet
Last edited by Grisu on Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Happy Tourist on Ben Nevis

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:36 am

Marvellous photos! - and some stunning long distance views.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Happy Tourist on Ben Nevis

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Some great photos from the pony path / mule march / donkey direction / tourist traipse / sloth slog / heifer haul / yeti yomp.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland