walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

loch coire mhic fhearchair to Kinlochewe?

loch coire mhic fhearchair to Kinlochewe?

Postby Gael S » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to walk from loch coire mhic fhearchair to Kinlochewe through hills/glens rather than walking along the A896?

I am planning a point to point walk and want to visit the the loch but would rather not backtrack or do miles of road walking. I can't see a route on View Ranger/os maps.

Preferably I would like to start the walk from Ling Hut and end in Kinlochewe via loch coire mhic fhearchair.

I've never been to this location before so any information is appriciated.

Thanks
Gael S
Munro compleatist

Re: loch coire mhic fhearchair to Kinlochewe?

Postby jmarkb » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:45 pm

Gael S wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to walk from loch coire mhic fhearchair to Kinlochewe through hills/glens rather than walking along the A896?

I am planning a point to point walk and want to visit the the loch but would rather not backtrack or do miles of road walking. I can't see a route on View Ranger/os maps.

Preferably I would like to start the walk from Ling Hut and end in Kinlochewe via loch coire mhic fhearchair.

Assuming you don't want to walk over the tops of Beinn Eighe, yes, it's doable, by dropping down north from the corrie and then traversing about 4km of fairly rough and pathless ground eastwards until you reach the end of a path at NG980625. From there, it's a good path that goes over the col and down to the road about 1km N or Kinlochewe. There is at least one river crossing than could be tricky after heavy rain.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby KeithS » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:55 pm

Yes, it is possible, and not quite as difficult as anticipated.

I did it a few years ago during a circuit of Loch Maree.

Looking at the map it looks fairly tortuous and potentially very wet. In reality it was an amazing walk with stupendous views of the back of Beinn Eighe.

The first part is pathless and, bearing in mind I did it in June, it may be 'damp' at other times of the year. You should be able to pick up a path as you enter the nature reserve to the east.

Having said that, there are worse roads to walk along than the A836.

Hope this helps.

Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Gael S » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:29 pm

Thanks for the replies.

The route you both pointed out was the one I had in mind. It's good to know that it is doable and others walk this way.

would you say its doable in winter? I am trying to estimate how long it will take roughly.

Thanks
Gael S
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Gael S wrote:would you say its doable in winter? I am trying to estimate how long it will take roughly.

Depends entirely on the snow level: there's a good chance it would be mostly snow free, but under deep fresh snow it could be very hard work!

It's about 17km and 700m or ascent for the whole walk from the Ling Hut car park to Kinlochewe, so I would allow around 6 hours.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Guinessman » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:06 pm

I went that way on my CWT in May 2015. It is doable but the ground is very rough. I found that such was the terrain that any walking rhythm or direction was impossible over the 3 miles until you reach the path dropping into Kinlochewe, and that I was constantly looking for foot placement over those 3 miles. Be prepared for a hard shift!
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion