walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kentmere Horseshoe

Kentmere Horseshoe

Postby Phooooey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:11 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Froswick, Harter Fell (Far Eastern Fells), High Street, Ill Bell, Kentmere Pike, Mardale Ill Bell, Shipman Knotts, Thornthwaite Crag, Yoke

Hewitts included on this walk: Froswick, Harter Fell (Far Eastern Fells), High Street, Ill Bell, Kentmere Pike, Thornthwaite Crag, Yoke

Date walked: 15/08/2010

Time taken: 7

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1228m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Kentmere Village - Yoke - Ill Bell - Froswick - Thornthwaite Crag - High Street - Mardale Ill Bell - Harter Fell - Kentmere Pike - Shipmans Knott - Kentmere Village

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After several weeks of rain or kitchen re-building the sun decided to shows its head so me and the dog got our boots on (figuratively speaking) and headed east into the lovely Kentmere Valley. The farmers field at £2 a car is probably the cheapest car park in the Lakes and probably the only car park not owned by the trust. From here we headed up past the church and the rocky trek up to Yoke.
CIMG3707 - Copy.JPG
Climb to Yoke from Kentmere Village
The ground was fairly solid underfoot for the majority of the walk which after the amount of rain in the last few weeks was a pleasant surprise.
CIMG3708 - Copy.JPG
Damson looking up western ridge
The left hand ridge is simply fantastic covering Yoke, Ill Bell & Froswick with stunning views over the surrounding ridges and down into Kentmere Reservoir.
CIMG3715 - Copy.JPG
View up to Thornthwaite Crag
CIMG3717 - Copy.JPG
Damson over Hayeswater
The walk takes on a different feel as you approach Thorthwaite Crag and the trek up High Street, still stunning but more drawn out.
CIMG3718 - Copy.JPG
On High Street
Crossing the wall at the top of High Street we started the return journey to Mardale Ill Bell passing the picturesque Blea Tarn and the steep descent and even steeper ascent (at least it felt that way) back up to Harter Fell.
CIMG3720 - Copy.JPG
Admiring the view before ascent to Harter Fell
CIMG3721 - Copy.JPG
Posing before western ridge
CIMG3722 - Copy.JPG
On top of Harter Fell
The return ridge had a different feel yet again following the fences and walls through open marsh land over Kentmere Pike and onto Shipmans Knott.
CIMG3723 - Copy.JPG
Return on eastern ridge

The sun had beaten down all day and my head was about the same colour as the beetroot I'd had in the sandwich back on High Street. My feet were killing me and I think even Damson had had enough by the time we made our way back down the rocky track and road to the village and back to the car. Note : Take plenty of liquid if trying this on a hot day as we ran out well before the end and were in need of several pints when we returned home (water I'm afraid as I was so dehydrated).
A great walk in great weather and I'm going to get some lighter boots before I try one that size again !!
Last edited by Phooooey on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Kentmere Horseshoe

Postby icemandan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:47 pm

Know that route well and looks like you had superb weather. The Watermill at Ings or the Eagle and Child in Staveley are both good for a post walk pint. Looks like Haweswater's filling up.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Re: Kentmere Horseshoe

Postby Phooooey » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:08 pm

Wish I'd known about the Staveley pub before hand. I'ts been a long time since I've needed a drink like I did on Sunday. I got through 7 pints of various cordials on returning home and Damson had 3 herself. I should have stopped in Windermere but the place was heaving.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland