walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Ben Nevis stag

Ben Nevis stag

Postby The English Alpinist » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:52 pm

21 stagview.JPG

From my Christmas Day 2019 Ben Nevis mission, I spotted this ghostly figure hovering in the mist on the descent via the main route, as night was falling. It was a euphoric moment, which I felt completely vindicated my decision to undertake the solo venture at all (negativity, length of journey, safety qualms, seasonal blues!). It was on the 'zigzag' section, and he was strolling up the slope crossing the official path in a couple of places. I stood stock still and waited and was granted a closer view of the majestic beast, it passing within about 50 metres of me at one point..This was shortly after sharing a mini Xmas celebration in the summit shelter with several other (cold) strangers, one of whom passed a swig of whiskey around, These types of memories cannot be bottled.

22 stag.JPG
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Ben Nevis stag

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:33 pm

Very atmospheric!

I once nearly bumped into a stag in thick mist on Aonach Beag, en route to Ben Nevis. We were both equally surprised I think, but after taking note of my presence, he just wandered slowly onwards.

tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings