walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Last Walk of the Year - Buttermere, at Last!

Last Walk of the Year - Buttermere, at Last!

Postby Christo1979 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:51 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Dale Head, Hindscarth, Robinson

Hewitts included on this walk: Dale Head, Hindscarth, Robinson

Date walked: 31/12/2019

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 11.4 km

Ascent: 928m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'd been planning to climb Dale Head and walk along the ridge to Robinson for some time, but it had never quite fit in with plans and logistics, not helped by the public transport from Buttermere not running once the winter months arrive. But now the time had come, and I was looking forward to spending New Year in Buttermere. A three-day plan was drawn-up, and accommodation booked at the Cragg camping barn for two nights. A train to Carlisle, a bus to Keswick, and a (very busy!) bus to Seatoller later, I found myself at the National Trust Car Park shortly before 12pm, and off I went.

I followed the old toll road from Seatoller alongside the Honister Pass road, as far as Honister mine, and then took the steep but easy path straight up the hillside to Dale Head. Wainwright seems to suggest this route is almost cheating, but given that I had fairly heavy pack, I didn't feel too bad. But I did find myself climbing more slowly than the many other walkers on the hill today - damn them with their cars and their daypacks :lol: The weather was unseasonably good, conditions crystal clear, and the views wonderful.

ImageUntitled by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

From Dale Head it was off down the at times precarious path along Hindscarth Edge, and then very easy and pleasant walking along to the summit of Hindscarth itself. I stopped a while to appreciate the views, and delighted in the fact that a year ago I'd hardly set foot on any Wainwrights and now could name most of the hills on the skyline and recall wonderful days of walking on them.

After leaving Hindscarth I followed a well-trodden path not on my map, contouring its way to Littledale Edge, then immediately started the plod up to Robinson. The sun was low in the sky, and the short winter day was already showing signs of disappearing. Lovely sunset views from the summit, and I sat there for some time.

With a couple of paths available from the summit of Robinson, I opted for the one leaving directly from the cairn, and found it to be uncomfortably steep, it felt even steeper than the contours suggested on the map :lol: It took a while to get down to Buttermere Moss, where suddenly it was all squelch and wet feet, and by now the sun had quickly disappeared. The view from around High Snockrigg, however, was beautiful.

Now the light had gone, I carefully trod my way down from High Snockrigg to Buttermere, part of me wishing I had camped up on the fells in this glorious weather, but part of me glad to pop into the Bridge Inn, and settle in for a relaxing evening with a map and Wainwright's Western Fells book, looking forward to New Year's Day.

Last edited by Christo1979 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

Re: Last Walk of the Year - Buttermere, at Last!

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:37 pm

That looked absolutely brilliant :D :D :D
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Christo1979 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:23 pm

Gordie12 wrote:That looked absolutely brilliant :D :D :D

It was a glorious day for it! Great walk :)
Christo1979
Walker

Postby trailmasher » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:12 pm

Hey Christo, I wouldn't call it cheating if you walked up from Seatoller as that's a fair walk in anyway :clap: A good report and some great pics there 8)
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Christo1979 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:18 pm

trailmasher wrote:Hey Christo, I wouldn't call it cheating if you walked up from Seatoller as that's a fair walk in anyway :clap: A good report and some great pics there 8)

Thanks for your encouraging comments :) I feel less of a Wainwright cheat now lol. One day perhaps I’ll actually do a horsehoe walk as an actual horseshoe, in one walk :lol:
Christo1979
Walker

Postby Sgurr » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:58 pm

If you were cheating, we were double cheating, since we went up Dale head from Honister with only day-packs
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Christo1979 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:10 pm

Sgurr wrote:If you were cheating, we were double cheating, since we went up Dale head from Honister with only day-packs

I'm only jealous, really. If I ever learn to drive, my daypack will get used an awful lot more :lol:
Christo1979
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland