walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

New Year's Day in the Western Fells

New Year's Day in the Western Fells

Postby Christo1979 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:29 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Gavel Fell, Great Borne, Hen Comb, Mellbreak, Red Pike (Buttermere), Starling Dodd

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Borne, Red Pike (Buttermere), Starling Dodd

Date walked: 01/01/2020

Time taken: 8

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1599m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The fine weather continued into New Year's Day, and with a spring in my step I headed out of Buttermere and straight up the stone-stepped path through the woodland on the lower slopes of Dodd and Red Pike. Once out of the trees, the stone path became quite wet and slippery, with light touches of ice, and at times I found it easier to climb around or alongside the path, until eventually I arrived at the beautiful Bleaberry Tarn. There were patches of ice on the surface of the water, and as the wind rippled the water there were some satisfying cracking sounds! I hung around a while, admiring the surroundings and the sounds, before plodding up the good path to the Nuttall that is Dodd for excellent views back to Buttermere.

ImageThe Lake District - Western Fells by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

The apprach to the summit, on red clay and scree, was uncomfortable at times, and it was with some relief that I clambered up to the fairly flat summit of Red Pike, and then 'took a right' to head off and take-in some of the grassier Western fells.

For much of the remainder of the walk, it felt like I was back in Donald country, with the distinct, rolling hills, noticeable ascent and descent, but eminently pleasant walking. I made pretty quick progress between hills, taking in Starling Dodd, Great Borne (perhaps not quite so quick on the decent of Steel Brow :shock: ), Gavel Fell, and then dropping down quite steeply and climbing Hen Comb. By this time, however, I was suddenly quite fatigued, and talked myself out of dropping down from Hen Comb to tackle one more hill - Mellbreak would have to wait.

And so I contoured back around Hen Comb and joined the path overlooking Floutern Tarn, walking as if to return to Buttermere. After a little while of easy walking on the muddy but easy path, I had a word with myself and summoned the energy to strike-off up the side of Mellbreak, after all. Once past pt.338 at Scale Knott, it didn't take half as long as I expected to reach the summit, and then dropped back down the same path for a break out of the (by now) very strong wind at Scale Knott once again.

The path led me easily down to Crummock Water, and then along back to Buttermere, where I reflected on my first substantial foray into the Western Fells, and hoped this good weather would continue until my third and final day in the area.

Last edited by Christo1979 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

Re: New Year's Day in the Western Fells

Postby trailmasher » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:20 pm

A good handful there Christo and well done on a good walk :clap: The start of the climb onto Mellbreak is a bit steep but worth the effort once past Scale Knott :wink:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Re: New Year's Day in the Western Fells

Postby Christo1979 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:16 pm

trailmasher wrote:A good handful there Christo and well done on a good walk :clap: The start of the climb onto Mellbreak is a bit steep but worth the effort once past Scale Knott :wink:

Thank you, sir! I’m glad I got these hills in when I did. It seems the weather has been a tad interesting since I left The Lakes... :shock:
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland