walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Glencoe Hiking in April

Glencoe Hiking in April

Postby Hanikia » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:09 pm

Hello,

Best wishes to all, may 2020 be a year full of beautiful moments and passionate hikes ☺

Can someone advise the 3 most beautiful hiking trails in Glencoe, the ones with the most breathtaking views ?
I'm planning a trip in April with my wife and 2 big kids (24 & 22 years old) and would like to do a hike or 2 there on our way to the Isle of Skye.

Thanks,
Hanikia
Scrambler

Re: Glencoe Hiking in April

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:47 am

Hanikia wrote:Hello,
Best wishes to all, may 2020 be a year full of beautiful moments and passionate hikes ☺
Can someone advise the 3 most beautiful hiking trails in Glencoe, the ones with the most breathtaking views ? I'm planning a trip in April with my wife and 2 big kids (24 & 22 years old) and would like to do a hike or 2 there on our way to the Isle of Skye.
Thanks,

That is difficult to say as we do not know your fitness, experience, etc., but assuming you are of average fitness and ability I'd say the Lost Valley (aka Hidden Valley, Hidden Corrie, Corrie Gabhail [meaning Corrie of Plunder, as the highlanders used to secrete their stolen cattle there]). This has a bit of a steep slog up to it but you are rewarded with great views across Glen Coe to the Aonach Eagach Ridge and beyound to Ben Nevis. Another short but steep day trip is the Pap of Glen Coe (Sgurr na Ciche) which again is a steep slog but worth it for spectacular views out over Loch Leven, Loch Linne, Lochaber and Ben Nevis. The passes leading through the hills from Glen Coe to Glen Etive are good, the Lairig Eilde and Lairig Gartain, making a fine round trip. No doubt many others will have other recommendations. The Kingshouse Hotel is good for food, as is the Clachaig Inn at the other end of the glen. April will probably be quite wintery, with a good possibility of ice and snow on the ground. These hikes should not be attempted in winter conditions without crampons, ice axes and helmets. You may be able to hire these locally.
DSCF0296#p.JPG
Blackrock Cottage, Rannoch Moor. Buchaille Etive Mor in the distance.

Glen Coe.jpg
Ben Fhada and Gear Aonach, towering over Glen Coe

AAA1 Hidden Place.jpg
Entrance to the Lost Valley (Corrie Gabhail)

DSCF0388#p.JPG
Sgurr na Ciche from across Loch Leven

Buzzard over Loch Leven#1.jpg
Loch Leven and Eilean Munde (burial island) from Sgurr na Ciche

DSCF0326#p.JPG
The snowy peak of Schiehallion across Rannoch Moor.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Hanikia » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:56 am

Thank you for your reply, looks amazing, I'll look into your recommendations later today.

Fitness wise, my last trip was a hiking one in South Korea in July/August 2019, where my wife and I hiked 20 mounts (41 peaks) in 40 days, no big mountains in SK, highest one is Hallasan a bit less than 2000m, but great hikes non the less, sometimes a bit more challenging than others, and mainly amazing scenery and mountains to yourself most of the time in summer days ☺

Kind regards,
Hanikia
Scrambler

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:07 pm

I should have added these links from Walkhighlands : https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/2-lairigs.shtml ; https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/lostvalley.shtml ; https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/papofglencoe.shtml . Enjoy! Oh, and remember what Billy Connolly said ; someone told him that they'd love to visit Scotland but they were afraid it might rain. "Of course it will rain!" he replied, "Wear a [expletive deleted] raincoat!" :lol:

Glen Coe rain#p.jpg
Kingshouse Hotel view
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:16 pm

Hanikia wrote:Fitness wise, my last trip was a hiking one in South Korea in July/August 2019, where my wife and I hiked 20 mounts (41 peaks) in 40 days, no big mountains in SK, highest one is Hallasan a bit less than 2000m, but great hikes non the less, sometimes a bit more challenging than others

Oh well, you may find my recommendations a little small and disappointing. Perhaps you should try the Aonach Eagach Ridge, Bidean nam Beinn and Buchaille Etive Mor...
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/bideannambian.shtml
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/buachailleetivemor.shtml
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/aonacheagach.shtml

Be careful of our North Atlantic weather, it often catches people unprepared for the ferocity of gales and freezing temperatures.

010 (2)hdrR.jpg
Winter wander

Glen Coe climb#1r.jpg
Climbing on North Face of Aonach Dubh

Glen Coe climb#4r.jpg
Climbing above Glen Coe
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Hanikia » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:44 pm

As I'll be traveling with my kids, I don't think the latter propositions will suit them that much ☺

thanks anyway for all the links, I'll have a look and let you know the choices I've made ☺
Hanikia
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs