walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Halt for Hill of Foundland

Halt for Hill of Foundland

Postby Alfachick » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:06 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hill of Foudland

Date walked: 09/01/2020

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 190m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having booked in with relatives up north for a visit in the new year I started looking at places to stop off on the way, interesting places that may have a trig point or a red balloon on the walk highlands website, or even better both! Also had to be close to the chosen driving route and not too long so as not to make us too late. Enter Hill of Foundland, a sub 2000er with a trig, not too far from the A96 and not too long a walk.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked the car at the farm named Lenchie and attacked the hill from the south west track marked on the map, as it seemed to offer the shortest attack route and would avoid the masts.

The start of the track didn’t look very promising at all but it soon opened up a little into what was clearly an ancient land rover track, now covered in that really prickly young gorse bushes, which the dogs hated. After a couple of hundred meters of this we ended up on the moorland in short heather and the old track more visible. Then it was just a case of keep going up.

4312C03B-B368-4A91-8D59-94B5C56740C7.jpeg
The old Land Rover track, not much to see these days but it is there.

I soon gained the stony hill and then were walking past old spoil tips from the quarrying that has preciously gone on here. The trig was reached without issue, dogs plonked on top and pictures taken.

3A81BC09-A84A-4FB0-9590-03552F3E76D3.jpeg
Brutus on top of the trig with Benachie in the background.

6EA06489-DF51-4BFD-A9AB-2DEB2E1111FD.jpeg
Cesar onto of the trig looking South over Aberdeenshire

50 mins to get up to the top (gosh I am unfit) and 25 mins back to the car.
A nice way to break up a pretty boring journey.
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland