walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cape wrath trail - fast and light in 8 days

Cape wrath trail - fast and light in 8 days

Postby Kaarebjert » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:04 pm

Route description: Cape Wrath Trail

Date walked: 25/05/2018

Time taken: 8 days

Distance: 380 km

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

coming just of a 2 days walk of the Skye trail i caught the bus to fort williams and took the last ferry across - starting my hike on friday around 17 - i walked just alone the tarmac first part (10km) and a few more along the river on the gravel road - before finding a nice spot to put up my tent - have a well deserved bath in the river and a lazy evening :) - i didnt really plan on going particulary fast - but i carry light - around 4-5kg base weight and 3 kg of food to start off with - and the weather turned out to be amazing - just 5 min of rain in the 8 days it took me to reach cape wrath. i wont go into all the details with day to day reports or things like this - just give my considerations on how to walk the trail in the "easiest" or fastest way - i had only one resupply in kinlochewe - i slept mainly out in the terrain (just once in a bothy in soulies) but otherwise aimed at getting started 6.30-7 each morning and ending around 19-20 most days - walking around 50km per day. a few advices - trekking poles - makes it a lot easier on especially the grassy uphills and technical boggy areas, shoes - wear trail runners with small gaiters, - i used harweys maps - but looking back viewranger with the route downloaded - would have been fine - and the cicerone guide on my phones kindle app - bring sunscreen :D - i managed to get burned a bit - so ended up having to wear long trousers and shirt in 30ish degrees weather. - but otherwise - the trail is really great and interesting challenge with its unmarked nature - make sure you know how to navigate and most of all read the logical lines of the terrain - bringing as little at possible and using trekking poles will make you sink down a lot less and move easilier through the boggy areas - and make sure you enjoy - coming from denmark i dont have this kind of wild open nature - so i feel right at home anytime i go to scotland - hoping to come back next year - maybe doing the cape wrath trail again :)
Kaarebjert
Munro compleatist

Re: Cape wrath trail - fast and light in 8 days

Postby Kaarebjert » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:27 am

And please ask questions if you have any? :)
Kaarebjert
Munro compleatist

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:38 pm

What is included in your base weight? It seems very little.

My sac, sleeping bag and mattress weigh 4.4 Kg - so no emergency or cooking gear...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Kaarebjert » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:20 am

All is included in my baseweight besides food and water - I have a 500gram tent and 500 gram sleeping bag- 270gram mattress... Backpack weighs 550 gram - waterproofs around 350grams - spare clothes around 800grams - electronics 700grams - cooking around 100grams - water purification and storage around 200grams - and then all the rest small stuff around 500grams including first aid and so on - the gears comfortable usage is down to around minus 5 -
Kaarebjert
Munro compleatist

Postby nick70 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:49 am

Kaarebjert wrote:All is included in my baseweight besides food and water - I have a 500gram tent and 500 gram sleeping bag- 270gram mattress... Backpack weighs 550 gram - waterproofs around 350grams - spare clothes around 800grams - electronics 700grams - cooking around 100grams - water purification and storage around 200grams - and then all the rest small stuff around 500grams including first aid and so on - the gears comfortable usage is down to around minus 5 -

Hi Kaarebjert. I would be very interested in hearing what gear you used. That all seems incredibly light.
nick70

Postby Kaarebjert » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:13 pm

I use a nordisk Lofoten tent - gossamer gear kumo 36 backpack - thermarest xterm 2/3 mattress - an astucas sestrals ponche quilt (sleeping bag) Berghaus hyper 100 WP jacket - inov-8 WP pants - brs stove and Keith 400ml titanium bottle - water purification is a katadyn befree 3l - spare clothes is mainly wool - socks and underwear... Fiber jacket -
Kaarebjert
Munro compleatist

Postby Lewton » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:05 pm

Hi Kaarebjert. I hope you can still answer here. I am considering buying the Nordisk Lofoten ULW 2 for my trekking adventures. I was in the rainy Lofoten Islands in August/September. Canyou give us some thoughts on this tent for solo camping in wet and windy weather please?
I will also take my usual MacPac Minaret for very reliable basecamp use and use the Nordisk for 2 or 3 day mini-treks from base.
It doesn't get snowy there at those times. Just wet and windy in some places.
I also want to use it for lightweight multiday treks in other places such as France, Sweden, Denmark. Sometimes in warm places I would only use the fly or only the inner tent.
Thanks. 👍
Lewton
Backpacker

Postby Kaarebjert » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:39 pm

Hi

sorry didnt get any notification on your question so didnt see it before now :) - for me the lofoten works quite well in rain and wind - depends on how tall you are? above 180 i wouldnt recommend :) - but because of its small size and good materials it handles wind better than most similar lightweight tents

Kaare
Kaarebjert
Munro compleatist

Postby Lewton » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:00 pm

Thanks Kaare.
I'm considering the Nordisk Telemark 2 now. Do you know it? Although, I'm still very undecided between weight/packed size and heavier, but stronger in wind and rain for a 2-day overnight mountain trek from my basecamp Macpac. Thanks for your reply. 👍
Lewton
Backpacker

Postby Kaarebjert » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:50 pm

Sure :) used to have a telemark 2 - its a good tent, i am sure it will do fine for the CWT
Kaarebjert
Munro compleatist

Postby westonfront » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:04 pm

Kaare

Now you've have your Lofoten for a couple of years I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on it's practicality and robustness. I'm looking for something simply for fast and light 1-2 night micro adventures into remote country. Can you manage to get a daypack and boots into the "porch" for example? How is it for condensation? Any other comments on practical issues.

Many thanks, Will (UK)
westonfront
Mountain Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes