walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Comfort fund

Comfort fund

Postby Lori_f92 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:45 pm

Hi all,

I am the manager of a care home an hour from Aberdeen- and plan on walking 5 Munros in 5 days- can anyone suggest the best ones to choose!

Thanks🥰
Lori_f92
Walker

Munros:2   

Re: Comfort fund

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:33 am

I could start with head up to Linn of Dee and walk towards Corrour Bothy. There are a number of Munro's just off the route. Of course take proper precautions for the prevailing conditions.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:41 am

Just to be clear, do you want 5 separate day walks each with one Munro, or a continuous 5 day walk? Around Glen Shee you can easily do 5 over 2 days or even a single day. And when are you planning this for?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby KatTai » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:18 pm

You could do the White Mounth at Loch Muck - five in one day and take the next four days off :lol:

Assuming you're not wanting to travel too far - Lochnagar is a nice one to do (part of the five above but can be done on its own). Mayar and/or Driesh from Glen Doll, though that would be two. I've done other pairs from Glen Doll as well (Broad Cairn and Cairn Bannoch, Tolmont and Tom Bhuide). Mount Keen from the Glen Esk side, not the most exciting one though. An Socach near Braemar. There's a few on the Glenshee road that are all doable but again often done in pairs or threes but you could do a quick up and down of one of the groups.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:11 pm

Pardon me if this is a daft question, but..... :wink:

Can I ask why you prefixed your question by telling us what you do for a living? Not having a go, just curious. :?

Might be a fun, interesting way to start posts from now on....

"I'm a parliamentary official from Dunfermline, and I was wondering if...."

Or in Caberfeidh's case..."I'm a 20-something Modern Apprentice in Mountain Warehouse, masquerading as a crusty old sea dog" :lol:
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   
Fionas:1   

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:23 pm

If you WORK in a Care Home, as opposed to managing it, you will have a considerable advantage in fitness levels. I used to be a 2nd hand bookseller and had quite a good start as I spent several days a month climbing into folk's attics and lowering heavy books down slingsby ladders, then unloading them into my house, pricing them, loading them back in the car, unloading them into the shop and shelving them, which now I have got my Xmas fitbit I realise probably translates into 10,000 steps a day. My former business partner who used to sit behind the desk ordering new books is now a resident of a care home.The folk who run around looking after people in their care should account for around 10,000 steps a day as well.

Shock horror, how can Caberfeidh get through his case-load of amputations from behind a counter??

If you are doing this later in the year, you could consider a trek across the Cairngorms. ...but not while this weather is on
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:25 am

Lightfoot2017 wrote:Pardon me if this is a daft question, but..... :wink:

Can I ask why you prefixed your question by telling us what you do for a living? Not having a go, just curious. :?

Might be a fun, interesting way to start posts from now on....

"I'm a parliamentary official from Dunfermline, and I was wondering if...."

Or in Caberfeidh's case..."I'm a 20-something Modern Apprentice in Mountain Warehouse, masquerading as a crusty old sea dog" :lol:

Given that the title of the thread is "Comfort fund" I guess she is raising money for extras for her residents
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:35 pm

PS...apologies for distinguishing between WORK and managing. Managers also work, but maybe does not translate into quite so much fitness.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion