walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fisherfield 3 in heatwave!

Fisherfield 3 in heatwave!

Postby PathfinderPaul » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:07 pm

Route description: Fisherfield 6, from Shenavall

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tarsuinn, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Sgùrr Bàn

Date walked: 27/06/2019

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 1307m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2019-06-27 15_38_41 Fisherfield 3.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We set off from the caravan site from Kinlockewe with high hopes for a great trip as the weather forecast was fantastic. We cycled from the site with our tent and equipment all loaded up intended to take the 2 days for the trip.
ImageIMG_2900 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
We didn't need to bag the other two Munroes as we had done those years ago from Poolewe. The first part was a lovely ride and very enjoyable.
ImageIMG_2902 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
However we soon realised the second half of the bike ride was going to be hard work. We met fishermen coming out and some other rather unstable bikers hurtling out :roll:
ImageIMG_2904 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageIMG_2906 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageIMG_2905 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
We finally arrived after having to walk the last mile, but what a beautiful place to camp by the Loch and we soon found a dry pitch :)
ImageDSCF3011 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
We enjoyed the setting sun and the beautiful location :D
ImageDSCF3005 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
I slept okay but I'm a good sleeper, but Ponyexpress had a poor night, bit tired after pushing the bike plus camping gear up difficult last part of track :(
However the views were stunning looking over to Slioch & Ben Eighe.
ImageDSCF3016 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageIMG_2911 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageDSCF3014 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
Ponyexpress got kitted out for a HOT day 8)
ImageDSCF3012 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
We soon got started up the good track following the burn towards Beinn Tarsuinn. We soon realised we were being watched :shock:
ImageDSCF3017 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
We had wonderful views going up of the other two Munroes and An Teallach in the distance.
ImageDSCF3018 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
Fantastic views from the first summit with the other two Munroes and An Teallach again. :D
ImageIMG_2915 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageIMG_2916 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
And the route going off towards A Maighan & Rhud Stac Mor
ImageIMG_2918 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
However as we started up Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair the steep quartz scree with the now midday sun beating down with the glare, the temperature was getting up to 27 deg and Ponyexpress with fatigue through no sleep succumbed to heat exhaustion and decided she'd never do the next two plus reascending this one to get back . So she went down to the bottom of the scree where there was shade under the cliff and rested and waited for me to complete them. How generous is that :clap:
ImageIMG_2920 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
At the summit I met others who took my summit photo :D
ImageIMG_2921 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
I hurtled down the otherside towards Sgurr Ban, leaving my bag at the bottom to retrieve on the way back. 8) Then onto the summit where I met a young lady who took some more shots for me, You can get the feeling from the pictures how hot it was with the reflection of the quartz.
ImageIMG_2926 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageIMG_2932 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
I then had to get to a bit of fell running to try and get back to Ponyexpress, who was quite refreshed when I got back to her, but the reascent of the middle Munro was hard work. I didn't want to try to find the short cut travers in case I missed the way :roll:
ImageIMG_2933 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
From here it was a lovely walk down to the campsite, pack up the tent & try not to go too fast on the way out.
ImageIMG_2914 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
ImageIMG_2934 by Joan Howard, on Flickr
PathfinderPaul
Mountain Walker

Munros:270   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:123
Wainwrights:74   Islands:15
Walk wish-list

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland