walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Living life on a Ledge - Ben Nevis Ledge Route

Living life on a Ledge - Ben Nevis Ledge Route

by Sunset tripper » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:30 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 15/07/2019

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Living life on a Ledge - Ben Nevis

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:07 am

Beautiful photos and an interesting option for The Ben. We did the classic arete traverse two years ago and I always wondered, could we take another step forward and try something more difficult. I'm not afraid of scrambling as long as it's dry and the rock has a good grip.

Thanks for sharing. As Malky said, nice to see good weather conditions, if only in pictures :lol: The recent conditions have been dreadful and I really miss summer... Or proper winter, when the days are frosty, the snow is white, the sky is blue and crampons fit your boots :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:13 am

BlackPanther wrote:We did the classic arete traverse two years ago and I always wondered, could we take another step forward and try something more difficult. I'm not afraid of scrambling as long as it's dry and the rock has a good grip.

This version of Ledge Route is not that much harder than the CMD arete: I think you would be fine! The original/"normal" start up No. 5 Gully is quite loose and the slabby section on the ledge often a bit wet - better in winter!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:07 pm

jmarkb wrote:This version of Ledge Route is not that much harder than the CMD arete: I think you would be fine! The original/"normal" start up No. 5 Gully is quite loose and the slabby section on the ledge often a bit wet - better in winter!

Thank you! Now I'm salivating like Pavlov's dog :lol: :lol: Just bring on a good summer!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:34 pm

The route looks great in your report and good it has not just one strict option and you can choose the way higher up, glad you had the weather and conditions with perfect visibility for the climb :D , superb photos ! :thumbup:

This route is on my To-Do list for a long time along with Coire Leis Route & South Flank Route & Carn Dearg ( Southwest ) Route & Glen Nevis-Coire Giubhsachan-CMD-BN...hope to do at least one of them this year if the weather allow the views ! :D :roll: :lol:
All the Best !
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Grisu » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:39 pm

Very impressive pictures and nice reading. Looks like a sort of shortcut :wink: compared to the long CMD-Arete and even more impressive with the crags so close.
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:42 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Beautiful photos and an interesting option for The Ben. We did the classic arete traverse two years ago and I always wondered, could we take another step forward and try something more difficult. I'm not afraid of scrambling as long as it's dry and the rock has a good grip.

Thanks for sharing. As Malky said, nice to see good weather conditions, if only in pictures :lol: The recent conditions have been dreadful and I really miss summer... Or proper winter, when the days are frosty, the snow is white, the sky is blue and crampons fit your boots :D

Cheers BP. Good info and advice from jmarkb as usual. I agree it's not much more difficult than the climb via the CMD. The only big difference would be the route finding. A good clear day would help with this and also it's a route for a good day anyway.
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:46 pm

Grisu wrote:Very impressive pictures and nice reading. Looks like a sort of shortcut :wink: compared to the long CMD-Arete and even more impressive with the crags so close.

Cheers Grisu. Probably a bit less strenuous than the CMD but both are fantastic routes. A lot less people on Ledge route though. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:22 am

Petr Dakota wrote:The route looks great in your report and good it has not just one strict option and you can choose the way higher up, glad you had the weather and conditions with perfect visibility for the climb :D , superb photos ! :thumbup:

This route is on my To-Do list for a long time along with Coire Leis Route & South Flank Route & Carn Dearg ( Southwest ) Route & Glen Nevis-Coire Giubhsachan-CMD-BN...hope to do at least one of them this year if the weather allow the views ! :D :roll: :lol:
All the Best !

Hi Petr, there are so many options on the ben. I found Coire Leis a bit rough but it's a fantastic setting.
I've done the route from Glen Nevis via Carn Dearg SW. It's another great route on to Ben Nevis and rarely used. Not technically difficult but very steep. Here's a link. Cheers. :D

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=56323
Sunset tripper

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:51 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:
Petr Dakota wrote:The route looks great in your report and good it has not just one strict option and you can choose the way higher up, glad you had the weather and conditions with perfect visibility for the climb :D , superb photos ! :thumbup:

All the Best !

Hi Petr, there are so many options on the ben. I found Coire Leis a bit rough but it's a fantastic setting.
I've done the route from Glen Nevis via Carn Dearg SW. It's another great route on to Ben Nevis and rarely used. Not technically difficult but very steep. Here's a link. Cheers. :D

Hi Sunset tripper, it looks great ! I have some photos and route directions with maps and descriptions for those other "not busy" routes from books, magazines and web sources, on my To-Do list to climb The Ben from more directions and angles...
Thanks for your link - it will help for sure :thumbup: Ben Nevis is great mountain which deserve to be climbed more times and by more routes :D :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:23 am

Petr Dakota wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:Hi Petr, there are so many options on the ben. I found Coire Leis a bit rough but it's a fantastic setting.

Hi Sunset tripper, it looks great ! I have some photos and route directions with maps and descriptions for those other "not busy" routes from books, magazines and web sources, on my To-Do list to climb The Ben from more directions and angles...
Thanks for your link - it will help for sure :thumbup: Ben Nevis is great mountain which deserve to be climbed more times and by more routes :D :wink:

I've been looking into a route up by Surgeons Rib which is alongside Surgeons gully. I haven't much info on it but it looks a brilliant route from Glen Nevis. I believe it is a grade 2 scramble but maybe harder or easier :? It takes you out near the top of Carn Dearg SW. I'll maybe get a shot at it this year, but I've been saying that for the last 5 years. :D
Sunset tripper

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland