walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Monamenach with mates

Monamenach with mates

Postby Alfachick » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:58 pm

Route description: Monamenach, Glen Isla

Corbetts included on this walk: Monamenach

Date walked: 19/01/2020

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 5.34 km

Ascent: 444m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Much to my surprise a few of my friends from down south were still up the road last weekend and had enquired about going out for a wee walk somewhere pretty. I suggested a couple of corbetts to them as I felt the munro tops would be a bit miserable as it was forecast to be pretty windy. I also perhaps suggested a hill in Angus that would tie in well with my new years resolution to finish all the angus hills off... So that was how we found ourselves in Glen Isla at around 1130 on a Sunday morning.

We followed the walkhighlands short route to bag this hill and it was great. Although it was only a short walk for us it was a perfect winter warmer walk. Again I realised how carrying so much extra weight on me is crap on the uphill sections, and that I might have exercise induced asthma... Will have to get that checked out.

We parked down at the bridge just after you think the road runs out, and then followed the track up to the belach between this hill and its neighbour Creagan Caise Hill. Then we turned right onto an obvious path which took us to the top. Although we had had amazing views down Glen Isla whilst on the track the views at the top were spectacular. It was quite interesting seeing the back of the hills that are known so well around Glenshee. We could also see Mayar and Dreish over to the East, and had fab views South over Perthshire. Lots of pointing and pontificating about which hills were which and when we could perhaps go up them. One of my mates was very keen to get the map out and figure out how all the glens could be linked up on an epic bike ride.

We didnt hang around too long on the top as it was bitterly cold with the wind chill, so we went down off the hill back to the track and found a nice spot to chow down on our sandwiches and in some cases doughnuts! Then a quick trot back to the car and that was that.

Another great day out with friends on the Scottish hills. Love it.

IMG_5400 (1).jpeg
Glen Isla looking golden

9e1b3ce7-7a4d-406f-a0d8-a1f58078f718.jpeg
Panorama from the summit looking Northish

c0c5d012-7999-4a0d-aa76-079ce0696be2 (1).jpeg
Looking South at Mount Blair from near the summit

a58ca708-bda7-478e-8a1a-7cf1f91a7389.jpeg
Looking East from around half way up the track

IMG_5408.jpeg
Brutus on the top
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland