walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Broad Law on Hogmanay

Broad Law on Hogmanay

Postby kleighton » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:26 pm

Route description: Broad Law, Cramalt Craig and Dollar Law

Corbetts included on this walk: Broad Law

Donalds included on this walk: Broad Law, Cramalt Craig, Dollar Law

Date walked: 31/12/2019

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 21.5 km

Ascent: 778m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mild clear weather with little wind. No snow but some icy patches. The ground was firm with less bog than I expected. I wanted to finish the southern Corbetts by the end of the year.
The approach minor road was perhaps the trickiest part of the day as it was icy and ungritted with some steep sections but I made it to the Megget Stone at sunrise and parked beside the cattle grid.
The first section is straightforward up the hillside on a fairly clear path beside the fence then veered a little to the left on to the broad ridge leading to the summit.
Plenty of manmade objects but lovely views all the same from the cairn and trig point beside the fence.
20191231_103614.jpg
Broad Law summit

Onwards beside the fence and through a gate beside a wall on to a muddy track past a mast. Cramalt Craig looks close but there is fair descent and ascent involved. I was sorry this hill has lost its Corbett status. It felt like it deserved to be one. The summit is marked by a fine cairn and the views are beautiful and wild.
The fence takes a left turn here and I followed it to Dollar Law. Again a wild remote summit that felt so peaceful. Stunning views.
I followed the WH route to return along the Thieves Road. The last time I was on this road was when I walked East Cairn Hill circuit earlier in the year. The section today was higher and more remote.
The descent was easy to the track then up the road past the Megget Reservoir to my car.
A perfect day to end the year!
kleighton
Munro compleatist

Munros:224   Corbetts:27
Fionas:52   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:36   Hewitts:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland