walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Mor (Angus) Circuit

Meall Mor (Angus) Circuit

Postby KatTai » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:14 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Mòr (Angus)

Date walked: 26/01/2020

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 3.4 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I read some previous walk reports for this hill and, having looked at the map, I wondered if it would be possible to make it a circular walk rather than a straight up-down. OS maps showed a track going through the woods and I wondered if there was an easy way out onto the open hill from that. Cue Google maps! The satellite image suggested there was a track to follow out of the woods, so having plotted an intended route in Viewranger, we decided to give it a go. Parking at the 2nd forestry entrance if coming from Kirkton of Glenisla direction, we followed the track uphill the with Drumore Loch peeking out from behind the trees below.

1.JPG
Looking down at my car on the way up!

2.JPG
Drumore Loch

Just opposite some wooden pallets (not sure if they will always be there!) is a more overgrown track heading uphill. It isn't too bad of a track to start with but higher up there are fallen trees across it. A bit of going around, clambering over and crouching beneath was needed to get around but there was only a few bits to get around and we were out on the moorland.

3.JPG
The start of the trees across the track, just a short section of this.

4.JPG
Moss enjoying a roll in the heather, she seemed to enjoy the section with all the fallen trees!

There were faint tracks in places heading up, but mostly we ploughed through the heather heading up towards the fence line. Upon reaching it the summit cairn of Meall Mor was just a short distance away.

13.JPG
Moss and Zena on the summit cairn

Considering its not a big hill, the views certainly weren't too bad with Angus spread out below. Low cloud obscured some of the view but still, a fair reward for what really was only a little bit of effort!

15.JPG
Views from the summit

For the descent we followed the wall downhill. There was a gap in the first wall, the second wall required climbing over this made a bit more awkward with a fence on the other side but myself and the dogs made it over with no mishap.

20.JPG
Wall 1, Wall 2 and Spot Moss!

Once over the wall we picked up a narrow path and, as it was going in the direction we wanted to go, we followed that. Our target was the clear forestry track that we could see ahead and we could see a grassy track leading towards it and this was pretty much where this path took us.

22 sm.jpg
On the wee path down

It wasn't long until we reached the gate - which was unlocked - but it wouldn't have been much of an issue if it was locked as the fence was sagging leaving low sections which would be easy to cross.

23.JPG
Gate back into the forest

From here we simply followed the forestry track down to the road, several deer crossing the track in front of us. Just as well Zena was on the lead! We saw a few deer on the route, and as we were walking back to to car along the road there were a few more on the opposite side of the road.

25.JPG
Short stretch of road back to car.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Meall Mor (Angus) Circuit

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:49 am

Looks like you had a similar but slightly clearer day than me for this wee hill.

Checked back and was shocked to see it was 7 years ago I did this.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby KatTai » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:16 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Looks like you had a similar but slightly clearer day than me for this wee hill.

Haha checking back is a bad idea! I was looking back for a route I thought I'd done just a year ago and it turned out it was a bit longer ago than I though :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby Alfachick » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:40 pm

I think I will be using this route when I come to do this wee hill. Thanks for the walk report :clap:
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

Postby KatTai » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:00 pm

Alfachick wrote:I think I will be using this route when I come to do this wee hill. Thanks for the walk report :clap:

You're welcome :D
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:08 am

KatTai wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:Looks like you had a similar but slightly clearer day than me for this wee hill.

Haha checking back is a bad idea! I was looking back for a route I thought I'd done just a year ago and it turned out it was a bit longer ago than I though :lol:

Ooops. Just checked back. Couldn't help myself! Turns out I can beat Gordie. It was 2012 when I did this one. Doesn't look like the route has changed much. As for me....... :problem:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby jgregor » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:24 pm

I followed your route a couple of weekends ago while up that way - thanks for posting.
Enjoyed the route, though the weather wasn't great - rain and fog. It would have taken more than that to keep me off a hill of some sort :)
jgregor

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:17   Donalds:63+39
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:1
Islands:9

Postby KatTai » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:22 pm

jgregor wrote:I followed your route a couple of weekends ago while up that way - thanks for posting.
Enjoyed the route, though the weather wasn't great - rain and fog. It would have taken more than that to keep me off a hill of some sort :)

Glad you enjoyed it even if you didn't get great weather :D
KatTai
Wanderer

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland