walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beautiful coulors on BEM

Beautiful coulors on BEM

Postby Grisu » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:18 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 23/10/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1110m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I remember well my difficulties to pronounce the name: Buachille Etive Mor, especially the first word when I heard it for the first time during the briefing evening at my stay in Ballaculish this year in summer. I couldn't join the walk in summer due to some knee problems which has become more painful after the last steep descend from Na Gruagaichean towards Kinlochleven, which was the fourth munro of my first week in Scotland. I didn't want to risk any further injuries because I was going to change place the next day to do some more walks in the Lake District. Therefore I have joined the group for the easy walk, which was a gentle stroll from the Visitor Centre in the village of Glen Coe to the Hospital Lochan and through foresty tracks to the Clachaig Inn where we had a nice finish.

So I came back in October the same year to meet a friend and this time I made my way up to this very impressive but unpronounceable mountain in very autumnal and claggy weather. 8) (By the way, meanwhile I have learned how to pronounce it :wink: )
IMG_0834php690.jpg
Lairig Gartain, River Coupall

The guide followed the Lairig Gartain along the River Coupall instead of going over the bridge and up the Coire na Tulaich. Due to some heavy rain during the night before, it took us quite some time going up and down the river to find a suitable place to cross. Finally we found some stones and with the helping hands of the guide and some more experienced walkers we managed the crossing without any incidents. :clap:
IMG_0838php690.jpg
Crossing the River Coupall

Before we headed for the bealach between Stob na Doire and Stob Coire Altruim we had our elevenses half way up Coire Altruim.
IMG_0850php690.jpg

IMG_0846php690.jpg
Elevenses

We made ourselves as comfortable as we could, observing the weather the direction we came from and curiously some movement in the mist above at the ridge. Some speculation about the SMC circulated but nobody was expecting a huge group of soldiers with heavy field kit coming towards us. :shock:
We had a young girl from Combodia and she got very frightened by the sight of the soldiers althoug she knew that there was no real reason but she had bad memories from her homeplace. To fight her trauma some members of the groups encouraged her to ask whether she could take some pictures with her selfiestick. Her request was kindly acknowledged and so she made some selfies.
IMG_0858php690.jpg
Selfietime

Short after we resumed our walk up the corrie not without scaring some stag involuntarily.
IMG_0855php690.jpg
keep going

IMG_0854php690.jpg
stag taking a flight

Due to the weather condition the guide suggested not to go to Stob na Bròige instead heading directly to Stob Dearg. But he didn't expect our determination, so the group split off and some of us headed towards Stob na Bròige to catch some scenic impressions while the others were going to Stob Dearg.
IMG_0867php690.jpg
One part of the group heading to Stob Dearg towards the sunshine

IMG_0864php690.jpg
The other part towards the clouds; view down Glen Etive

It was well worth the effort and would we have been quite disappointed if we hadn't taken the chance.
IMG_0872php690.jpg
Stob na Bròige with view towards River Etive

Then we returned towards the second munro. The ridge walk was a real pleasure with the changing light and the autumnal colours, sceneries I only knew from glossy prints in calenders :roll: .
Now I could take my own pictures and although they can't compete with professional photographs they are very dear to me just because they always bring back the memories of the walk, the impressions and the feeling of joy and happiness :D
IMG_0899php690.jpg

IMG_0898php690.jpg

Scotland in autumn - that's why I came to experience!
IMG_0903php690.jpg

IMG_0919php690.jpg
Stob Dearg with view towards Loch Linnhe and the Ballaculish Bridge

The way back we took the Coire na Tulaich and when we reached the bottom it was nearly dark.
IMG_0923php690.jpg
View down Coire na Tulaich

The final part along the road to the parking opposite the beehive cairn was a bit annoying but when we have reached the bus the joy and happiness about this great walk we have managed with both munros prevailed the mood and the atmosphere throughout the rest of the evening. :D
Last edited by Grisu on Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Beautiful coulors on the BEM

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:39 pm

Wonderful autumn colours and some great photos!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 pm

Nice report and pics - but like me you went up the path " your'e supposed to come down" :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Grisu » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:51 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Wonderful autumn colours and some great photos!

Tim

Thanks Tim, it was nice to remember this walk and to review the pictures for the report - they still put a smile on my face :D
Grisu
Walker

Postby Grisu » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:53 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Nice report and pics - but like me you went up the path " your'e supposed to come down" :lol: :lol:

I am innocent, I had to follow the guide! 8)
But the following year I did it the proper way round :)
Cheers
Grisu
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland