walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Laith - mixed Weather

Carn Laith - mixed Weather

Postby loriwatson1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:36 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò)

Date walked: 01/02/2020

Time taken: 3 hours

Ascent: 629m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Nice and easy Munro for a beginner like myself :D .

Quite easy to find , park up at cattle grid before Monzie farm then continue for about a mile until you see gate with a little hut.
wasn't the nicest marshy land due to rain and snow days before. We arrive at the hut and the weather changes drastically!! Rain and hail battering off us but we seen it through and it eventually stopped.
Nice clear path all the way up gets steeper as you head up.
Very windy when reached the top , not much views due to clouds but typical the blue skys clear and come out on the way down.
loriwatson1
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1
Islands:5

Re: Carn Laith - mixed Weather

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:00 pm

I did this route in poor conditions in October - the newly rebuilt path was excellent, great work by (I presume) the Atholl estate. :clap:

It will be good when they finish the bottom bit by the wooden hut, parts of which were pretty soggy!

I’ll go back in good weather one day and continue the walk along the ridge beyond Carn Liath.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Culardoch » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:25 pm

Atholl Estates didn't, as far as I know, dip into their hip pocket for the path. For more info see the Scottish Field article on 30/09/2019 which the site won't let me provide a link to!
Culardoch

Postby prog99 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:15 pm

This is the link https://mendmountains.thebmc.co.uk/donations/cairngorms/
The path further round to the east of Beinn Bheag may have had its upgrade funded elsewhere though?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland