walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A magical morning inversion on Ben Vorlich

A magical morning inversion on Ben Vorlich

Postby jimbell21 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:41 am

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 06/02/2020

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10.2 km

Ascent: 905m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thursday 6th February 2020

With another howling weekend forecast to coincide with a rare weekend off, an early morning adventure was required before work at 3pm on Thursday. Checking the forecast at 11.30pm on Wednesday night as I finished work, I saw that an inversion was likely in many areas, so opted for Ben Vorlich at Loch Earn as a relatively short outing to get my fix before the storms hit.

I rocked up at the "car park" on Loch Earn about 8.20am, it was looking very promising. I ended up joining a retired chap for the first half of the walk, chatting away about hills as you do. I left him in peace and climbed the second half alone. Ben Vorlich itself was always above the clouds, and as some lower cloud swirled around, it looked like the cloud inversion was going to happen. Yaaasss!!!

Ben Vorlich upper slopes

Looking good!

Turning around to look over my shoulder, I saw the Lawers range starting to poke their heads above the cloud :D. So excited by this, I bombed it up the upper slopes towards the summit, briefly stopping to stick my crampons on as the path had turned to sheet ice and hard snow. Reaching the trig point was incredible, just wow in every direction!! What a morning!

The Lawers Range above the cloud

Vorlich trig point to myself

Stuc a'Chroin coming and going in the cloud

Summit panorama with Ben More and Stob Binnien centre in the distance

Ben Nevis zoomed, clear as a bell

Having a bite to eat by the trig point, watching the cloud flow down Loch Earn below

Ben More and Stob Binnien

Suppose I better get in one of the photographs

View to the south top

Summit video

After 40 minutes of enjoying the summit views I had to pull myself away and get down the hill back to the car. I could have stayed up there all day! I bombed down the hill and reached the car exactly 3 hours after setting off, a brilliant short outing.

Even better, I was home and still had time to cycle to work in Dalgety Bay in the sun for a 3pm start. A brilliant wee microadventure and making the most of the day. Needed a few coffees to see me through to midnight though :lol:
jimbell21
Mountain Walker

Munros:205   Corbetts:36
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:4
Islands:13

Re: A magical morning inversion on Ben Vorlich

Postby Colin1951 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:47 am

Best possible conditions! Thanks for some great pics, I’ve been over these two a score of times and never seen them like that.
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby jimbell21 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:51 am

Colin1951 wrote:Best possible conditions! Thanks for some great pics, I’ve been over these two a score of times and never seen them like that.

Thanks Colin. I've only been up them once before and never saw a thing all day, so yesterday was an absolute dream to see! Thanks for reading :)
jimbell21
Mountain Walker

Postby litljortindan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:18 pm

Grand. That inversion with wee gaps here and there is better than the solid filled flat sheet type I reckon though I wouldn't quibble with the latter if I got it. Nice video clip too.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby jimbell21 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:19 pm

litljortindan wrote:Grand. That inversion with wee gaps here and there is better than the solid filled flat sheet type I reckon though I wouldn't quibble with the latter if I got it. Nice video clip too.

Thanks :D, know what you mean with the inversion but it happens so seldom that I won't be that picky! Just anything under 50mph wind and sideways rain will do for now...

Cheers!
jimbell21
Mountain Walker

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland