walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

deepest peat bog

deepest peat bog

Postby mynthdd2 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:10 pm

..whats the deepest peat bog anyone has ever fallen in? Mine was on Jura which reached my chin..
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Re: deepest peat bog

Postby crfishwick » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:32 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:..whats the deepest peat bog anyone has ever fallen in? Mine was on Jura which reached my chin..

Hard to believe :wink: Hope someone with you or you would still be there.
crfishwick

Postby John Doh » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:39 pm

This thread has potential. 8)
John Doh

Sub 2000:2   
Islands:39

Postby Ibex » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:31 pm

Mid thigh on a wet day on Kinder Scout. Looked like a solid bit suddenly, bye leg.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Fiona Reid » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Mid thigh one leg only 0.5km from Sheneval Bothy after doing the Fisherfield 6. Other half laughed from a dry bit and refused to help me out muttering about why should he risk getting wet!
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby Sgurr » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:45 pm

I assume it only reached Mynthdd2's chin because he had tripped and fallen. Otherwise he would have needed heavy lifting equipment and/or a spade to get out. Husband partly GOT IN to a peaty bog hole with a sheep to try to extract it, but although it seemed to realise we were there to help, it couldn't or wouldn't attempt to help itself and so he just got covered with glour. It was the Sabbath in Wee Free territory, so although we could see people were in their houses they wouldn't answer the door, so it wasn't until we reached an immigrant English couple that we got them to phone a shepherd with an ATV and a rope. Hence my doubt about the OP

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:06 pm

I tend to excel at bog avoidance so have no tale of 'up to so far' to tell but I did come perilously close to getting stuck fast on Baugh Fell once when I carelessly wandered into a seriously sticky area. Most panic I've ever felt in my life! :shock:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby mynthdd2 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:12 pm

...I guess my tale has grown in the telling like most mountain walkers tales...nonetheless it was deep-ish
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby crfishwick » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:17 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:...I guess my tale has grown in the telling like most mountain walkers tales...nonetheless it was deep-ish

:lol: :lol: There is a knack to avoid them. :wink:
crfishwick

Postby Uncle bob » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:39 pm

I'm putting the .." up to my chin ".....with the story I heard the pub in my home town in Ireland .....2 guys talking ...1st guy ...I had this greyhound bitch and she was in pup....i entered her into a race , the traps opened she flew out round the track and was in a clear lead ...did'nt she stop and have a litter of pups on the track.....then she got up rejoined the race ...and won ...2nd guy, thats unbelievable .......1st guy .... no he said thats not all he said......did'nt one of the pups come second :wink:

Bogs , nothing deeper than over the top of my boots.
Uncle bob
Hill Bagger

Postby Silverhill » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:19 pm

Apart from a muddy boot on occasion, so far I have been able to avoid sinking deep into peat bogs. This may change when I do more corbetts etc.
However, on a different note, sinking into snow....
One day on my winter skills course in the Cairngorms a few years ago, we were merrily descending along a snowy ridge. I was duly placing my feet in between the footsteps of the people in front of me, so as to create a trail and make it easier for those behind us. And then my whole leg disappeared! I had obviously found the hole, to great amusement of the others in my group, who commented that I had eaten too much over breakfast :shock: :lol:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Coop » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:52 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:..whats the deepest peat bog anyone has ever fallen in? Mine was on Jura which reached my chin..

I've normally got a "I've got one better than that", up my sleeve,
But I'm afraid this time even I cant top trump that one :D
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby wee black dug » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:18 pm

I didn't fall in it personally, but there's one on the way to Carn a' Gheoidh that's exactly half as deep as a labradoodle.

mud.jpg

:D
Last edited by wee black dug on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wee black dug

Munros:212   Corbetts:11
Donalds:2
Islands:11

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:22 pm

Below Ruadh-stac Beag. Used boulders to hop across a burn then walked straight into bog and went chest deep. Was quite refreshing actually seeing as it was about 25 degrees that day.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:25 pm

If my chin is in a bog its normally because its the first thing that's hit the ground...good effort OP. :clap:

Personally, I've only managed to get thigh deep. A mate once jumped on a frozen puddle on Beinn Riabhach above Fort William on a "day off" and went in up to his armpits. The bog was only as wide as his shoulders. We seriously struggled to get him out...as it took several minutes to be able to stop laughing. Fortunately it was only a short run down to the chip shop (we were students and rough camping behind the distillery so couldn't afford to waste time on good pub money in the middle of the afternoon just to get him warm.)

Another mate managed to fall up to his waist in the same (snow-covered) bog on the way up, and on the way back down, Fionn Bheinn. A very obvious continuous dip/drainage ditch crossing our path. You could clearly see the hole a few feet to the side where he'd fallen in on the ascent, yet still he went straight into it again. This is why we still invite him, 30 years later, as the potential for similar incidents still remains. :lol:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion