walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Delighted to get a Perthshire hill in this horrible week!

Delighted to get a Perthshire hill in this horrible week!

Postby dogplodder » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:41 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Torlum

Date walked: 19/02/2020

Distance: 5 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

To be fair it wasn't a horrible week but in terms of weather it wasn't quite what we'd bargained for!

Back in a very mild January we booked a cottage in the hope (on my part) of doing some walking and maybe including Beinn a' Chroin (my last remaining Crianlarich Munro). Then Storm Ciara came along with Dennis close behind, and I guessed with all the rain Glen Falloch would be a mud bath and not a smart idea to walk along twice in a simple out and back, which is what I'd planned to do. :thumbdown:

The forecast for the week was so depressing I wondered if we'd get any walking at all. But if you have to be storm-bound anywhere this cottage wouldn't be such a bad place to do it. The Old Stables at Westerton (found on WH) is excellent - underfloor heating, beautifully laid out, Wifi and Netflix, full length bath, separate shower and a comfortable bed. I warned Pete it would probably be small - "think caravan" - but it was nothing like a caravan, with very high ceiling and solid stone walls - and a big plus if you have a dog, an enclosed garden and walks from the door. That's the accommodation commercial sorted. :)

I have to be honest; it did rain a lot. But we used what breaks we got to visit the Cultycraggan WW2 POW Camp at Comrie and walk the Hosh circuit at Crieff when we even had some blue sky and sun. :D

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=95519

But I was still itching to climb a hill. I'd thought about Auchnafree Hill but was advised there was so much water pouring into Loch Turret the burns would be difficult to cross. Then I came across Torlum and reading Graeme D's report reassured me that if he could do it with his 9 week old daughter I would surely manage it just me and the dog! Even with a bit of snow. Then I had the bright idea of contacting Anthony, who moved to Crieff from the Black Isle 7 years ago. While he lived up north we had climbed a number of hills together (at his wife's suggestion as she didn't like him going out solo) so it was worth running it past him. He got straight back and said he'd come. Torlum was one of his regular walks and he was happy to show me the way. :clap:

I picked him up in Crieff at 9.00 and he directed me to where he parks (for a while forestry work made it difficult to park at the track entrance). We walked a short distance along the road to a gated track opposite a cottage. Once away from the road I let Keira off the lead and she stayed off the whole time with no problem of her trying to go off on the scent of roe deer we saw crossing the track further up. This bodes well for the future as taking a dog with a strong prey drive out on the hills is a challenge you can well do without. Been there done that with our old boy Jack when he was younger! :lol:

The photos are self explanatory of our route.

Not our vehicle
IMG_8910c.JPG

Dog off the lead and in the lead (roe deer ahead)
IMG_8911.JPG

We took left fork, but tracks come together further up
IMG_8945.JPG

Corridor through conifers
IMG_8912c.JPG

IMG_8914c.JPG

Colour in the monochrome
IMG_8944c.JPG

Second gate
IMG_8943c.JPG

Turn right at second gate
IMG_8915c.JPG

IMG_8918c.JPG

Up the track we go
IMG_8919c.JPG

We could have stayed on the track for longer but took the first available path up, which would normally be grassy but today was covered with snow.

Turned off track here
IMG_8942c.JPG

IMG_8921.JPG

The views were hazy but you could just make out the Ochills spread out in a row to the south.

South to faint Ochills
IMG_8925c.JPG

Even Crieff wasn't all that clear.

Zoomed east to Crieff
IMG_8927c.JPG

Summit trig ahead
IMG_8930c.JPG

Anthony on Torlum
IMG_8929c.JPG

Zoomed west to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin
IMG_8928c.JPG

We took a different way down, slightly less steep than the ascent had been. In summer this would have meant bashing through bracken but is fine in winter and added a bit of variety to the views. It also meant no landing on our backsides as less steep.

Different way down
IMG_8934c.JPG

IMG_8935.JPG

IMG_8937.JPG

Balloch Loch and Pond of Drummond
IMG_8938c.JPG

The two previous days we got some intervals of blue sky and sun but today the cloud was too thick for any of these refinements.

Sun doing its best
IMG_8939c.JPG

Our descent route took us back to the track a bit further on than we'd left it and we passed the start of our ascent path on the way down. From there it was a simple case of retracing our steps to the gate opposite the cottage.

Back on the track
IMG_8920.JPG

Back to second gate
IMG_8916c.JPG

Back to cottage at start
IMG_8946c.JPG

I then deposited Anthony back to his home in Crieff, had a catch up with his better half, and was back with my own better half by 12.00. A good morning's walk and it hadn't rained a drop, which in last week's weather in Perthshire was something to be applauded! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Delighted to get a Perthshire hill in this horrible week

Postby dogplodder » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:48 pm

Don't know how I did that but managed to repost the whole thing when all I was trying to do was a wee edit! :roll:
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:56 pm

Glad to see you made the most of the breaks in the weather - well done. This got me wondering - have I haven't I :roll: :roll: :crazy:

Came to the conclusion I haven't :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby desmondo1 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:02 pm

Did this a couple of weeks ago but turned off the path beside the trees where you continued on for a bit. My map showed that track veering away so thought I had to go cross country at some point. Of course found the path on descent but a short bit of rough ground crossing improved the short walk. Cracking views for little effort.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

Postby Graeme D » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:13 pm

This hill might not have changed but my 9 week old daughter has! :shock: This has given me an idea - I might return here for a walk during the Easter fortnight in April with my then 9 year old daughter and do a report for comparison! :roll:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:50 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Glad to see you made the most of the breaks in the weather - well done. This got me wondering - have I haven't I :roll: :roll: :crazy:

Came to the conclusion I haven't :lol: :lol:

A fine wee hill if you've an hour or so to spare in the Crieff area. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:36 pm

desmondo1 wrote:Did this a couple of weeks ago but turned off the path beside the trees where you continued on for a bit. My map showed that track veering away so thought I had to go cross country at some point. Of course found the path on descent but a short bit of rough ground crossing improved the short walk. Cracking views for little effort.

A good hill and in all the times I'd been to Crieff I'd never done it! :think:
Last edited by dogplodder on Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:37 pm

Graeme D wrote:This hill might not have changed but my 9 week old daughter has! :shock: This has given me an idea - I might return here for a walk during the Easter fortnight in April with my then 9 year old daughter and do a report for comparison! :roll:

Good plan - will look out for the report! 8)
dogplodder

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland