walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another Wee hill to find the better weather

Another Wee hill to find the better weather

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:05 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Craiglee (Galloway)

Date walked: 22/02/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14.2 km

Ascent: 650m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The time had come to make an executive decision and eventually get some fresh air, after scrutinising the weather forecast for the whole of Scotland. The big hills were far too windy so I suggested to Parminder we head SW (again) and tackle a wee hill. I noticed the thread "Munro's in gales" asking about where to head when the forecast is unfavourable, if I have an available space in our busy schedule I would rather stay at home than endure a battering of wind and rain - especially wind.
I noticed the Cairngorms were expecting gusts of 70mph so that was a definite no no and it wasn't much better in the west.
Parminder volunteered to be my co pilot and when we met up at 6.30 Parminder did ask the question "Is this a good idea?". It was literally blowing a hoolie and chucking it down, as we headed over the Forth the car was getting a good wash minus the soap and sponge. The wet stuff finally ceased as we joined the A77 south of Glasgow and Parminder was beginning to think we could strike it lucky.
Leaving Fife early meant we had a good drive and it only took us a shade over 2hrs 30mins.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked at the largish car park that serves the tourists for 'Bruce's Stone', Southern Upland Way, the Merrick & quite a few local Donalds.
We were on our way just after 9am and as Parminder had not been down this way before we had to visit Bruce's Stone.

Pole position in the car park

Not far to our first stop

The blurb for the stone

The inscription on the Stone

Looking SW over Loch Trool

Looking east along Loch Trool and the way we will be heading

Excellent track/Southern Upland Way that is rather undulating, starting with a bit of a descent

Buchan Burn, plenty of white water

Video of Buchan Burn

Tree has seen better days, makes for a good photo though

Video of Garland Burn looking rather wild

Glenhead, plenty of recent building work, the one at the front looks like a hostel?

The way ahead

Glenhead Burn

The way ahead

Looking back down at Glenhead. The ascent is nice and gentle and great way to gain height

Interesting clump of trees

The way up and ahead

Looking back

The way ahead quite clear, unfortunately we would be leaving the track soon

Here we go, time to leave the track - let the fun begin

That is our target, the trig is visible from quite a distance away

Looking back at Parminder picking his way across the mud

Looking back, Parminder admiring the views

I have to say the going wasn't as bad as I was expecting, it was tussocky and very churned up by livestock but I was expecting to be splashing and puddle dodging.

Looking across to Merrick

Summit getting nearer, trig can be seen if you zoom in. We had to pick our way through the overhanging rocky ridges

Video taken on the summit of Craiglee

Loch Trool in the distance

Looking south

Looking across to Merrick - in cloud

Loch Dee, taken on the descent

Arty shot of Southern Upland Way post and a bit of white water

Plenty of these sort of posts along the track

This turned out to be a cracking day and apart from a very brief few spots of rain early on the weather was as forecast. It was blowy higher up as the summit video demonstrates.
Only 4 Marilyns left south of the Central Belt, hopefully get them visited over the next couple of months, weather permitting of course.
Last edited by Fife Flyer on Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Another Wee hill to find the better weather

Postby Sgurr » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:04 pm

Good for you for getting out. I flicked through your pics. looking for one of you crossing the Gairland Burn, but then realised you went out the way we came back, and it isn't compulsory. Just as well with the state it was in. Husband reached his 1000 Marilyn on this hill, so we remember it with affection.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:19 pm

Looks interesting enough despite gloomy weather. I think we are now restricted to Subs, with current weather conditions. I hope against logic it will get better later in spring, especially for the spring WH Meet!

Out of curiosity, I checked my Marylin count and discovered, I have recently reached 500 (506 at the moment). Give me another 10 years, I might get to 1000 :lol:

Cheers
BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby dibs » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:31 pm

Nice one guys and escaped the crap we had in Fife on Saturday too. :clap:
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland