walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

the C word

Re: the C word

Postby Gareth Harper » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:41 am

If (and that's big if) the WHO are publicly using the word theory in "street" form in direct opposition to the well-defined technical term they need to be sacked for gross professional misconduct; or at the very least paint their faces and wear long shoes to show they're currently in "clown mode".

The WHO were quite clear, crystal clear in fact, in their criticism of the UK government. They described the UK’s objective of herd immunity as a theory.

Do you propose to also sack all the good people who compile the English language dictionary?
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Wandererssolo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:54 am

The paper from Imperial College is a bit of an eye opener since it suggests a rough ride for an extended period

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

This piece from twitter reflecting on what it means for the USA is also interesting. It shouldn’t take much to see what it’s likely to mean for us here.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1239975682643357696.html

I’m fortunate that I can easily access the west highlands and have been socially distancing for approximately 3 weeks. I have a daughter in early stages of pregnancy and it’s imperative my wife and I stay clear of this for as long as we are reasonably able so that we can support her. I won’t be walking far from road access so West Highland Way seems to be my limit. I might be able to manufacture some circular routes but given the mountain rescue advice it will need to be on accessible routes too.
Wandererssolo
Hill Bagger

Munros:9   
Fionas:1   

Postby CharlesT » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:08 pm

I despair, yet again what appeared to be a reasonable and useful thread is descending into an argument. So juvenile and unnecessary.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby geocaching » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:12 pm

CharlesT wrote:I despair, yet again what appeared to be a reasonable and useful thread is descending into an argument. So juvenile and unnecessary.

Unnessasary quite. Plenty of information about it without being regurgitated everywhere.
geocaching
Stravaiging

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:40 pm

Gareth Harper wrote:Do you propose to also sack all the good people who compile the English language dictionary?

Only if they intentionally misrepresent definitions of words.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby wee black dug » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:27 pm

Wandererssolo wrote:The paper from Imperial College is a bit of an eye opener since it suggests a rough ride for an extended period

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

That's certainly food for thought, as they say. Cheers for the link (I think!). :?
wee black dug

Munros:212   Corbetts:11
Donalds:2
Islands:11

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:38 pm

I agree - it's a well scary paper....
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby mrssanta » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:46 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:
PS buns in the north east of England are called stotties

Surely this depends on what kind of bun you're talking about - bread buns, cake. Stotties are a very particular kind of bread bun not found anywhere else
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:26 pm

I do recall asking for a sausage stottie at the border with Yorkshire and being asked if I wanted my sausages in a 'teacake'....I said no
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Wandererssolo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:42 pm

A follow up to the two links I posted yesterday. This piece has a more positive outlook.

https://unherd.com/2020/03/the-scientific-case-against-herd-immunity/

The logic of testing and identifying the infected people and their contacts would mean that the rest of us could stop cowering in our houses, the economy could get back closer to normality and jobs and businesses would not be under threat.
Wandererssolo
Hill Bagger

Munros:9   

Postby Sgurr » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:38 pm

This thread is a model of rationality and a counter to the usual case that no thread on the internet can survive 4 pages without someone mentioning Hitler. Being 80, with a near 80 partner we have decided to cancel our 5 separate weeks of holidays in the Lake District. This is annoying as R timed the injection in his knee to give him three months of pain free walking there, and it is setting back our attempt to climb the Wainwrights before we get too decrepid.. We are going out locally one day to Tentsmuir, the next to Kilpurney Hill, the next up Norman's Law et al where we hope we won't fall and be a nuisance to the ambulance people. All sorts of people are phoning to see if we are OK...so far all have been people who live on their own.
Grandchildren are restricted to telephone calls. Youngest is overjoyed to be off school as she can lie in until 9. Unfortunately I have never done any Playstation Sonic the Hedgehog, so I have no opinion on whether the film might or might not be a"roller coaster of emotion." I picked up an email address left on a lamp-post from a student who may (or may not) turn out to be able to collect my prescription and am going to TRY to get food off the internet. If we get the big C, it won't be for the want of trying to evade it.

Everyone has to make up their own minds, but for us, gathering enough food to head north now would be out of the question...there re too many shortages and we don't want to make them for other people who may only live day to day, and we are in the category of person who might need scarce medical assistance when away.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:44 pm

A couple of days ago, we visited Powhill country park next to the Durham / Northumberland border. We were hungry and decided to see if the cafe was open. It was, and the staff were ever so pleased to see any customers. We were asked (correctly) to seat at any table that had an empty table between ourselves and other customers. When not serving, the staff spent all their time disinfecting tables, chairs, door handles and glass, handrails etc. Every effort was made by the staff and ourselves to keep each other safe from infection. The food was excellent and we were told that without customers like ourselves and the other few there, they would have to reduce working days and hours and the staff jobs were at risk.
These small country cafes / camp sites / shops etc desperately need customers, yet politicians are urging us to stay at home.
We will be walking in the Yorkshire Dales this weekend and will make a point of buying some of our supplies from the local shops instead of bringing everything with us. The countryside is open and the locals need visitors to use their shops and stay in their B&B's (being ultra careful with Hygiene though). They do not need months worth of bookings cancelled in a couple of days.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby rohan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:45 pm

This thread is a model of rationality and a counter to the usual case that no thread on the internet can survive 4 pages without someone mentioning Hitler.

Usual case continues,, thanks to Sgurr!
Current challenge is how long in any type of exchange before the "c" word is mentioned.

Took to the hills today (with a friend) and climbed Brown Cow Hill which I once said was the reason I would never climb all the Corbetts but today was my 2nd visit. This time from Corgaff. My friend has been brought to a halt with her Munro compleation so we are going to the local Corbetts she hasn't yet done. The views were fantastic with Lochnagar and Ben A'an particular stars.
rohan

Postby madprof » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Border Reiver wrote:These small country cafes / camp sites / shops etc desperately need customers, yet politicians are urging us to stay at home

There's a reason for that. The more people go out to cafes, shops etc. the more the virus is likely to spread.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Walk wish-list

Postby rohan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:54 am

These small country cafes / camp sites / shops etc desperately need customers, yet politicians are urging us to stay at home.

Remote areas do not have the infrastructure to cope with visitors seeing them as an escape from the current madness and potentially bringing in the virus which could be a lot worse than disruption to their small businesses. Think about other ways you can support them (e.g.buy gift vouchers which you may or may not cash in when the emergency passes). This is a statement from Eigg community, Knoydart is also going to be issuing similar. Listen to the locals, they DO NOT WANT PEOPLE bringing the virus. This would be worse for them than economic consequences.
http://isleofeigg.org/coronavirus-covid-19/
rohan

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion