walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

the C word

Re: the C word

Postby mynthdd2 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:22 pm

my original plan was to park up my landy somewhere on Harris - backpack through the amazing hillsides then head back to the landy for supplies then backpack through the amazing Harris hills then etc etc ie something I have done for years with minimal human contact...

ps wish I had never started this thread......
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Wandererssolo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:34 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:my original plan was to park up my landy somewhere on Harris - backpack through the amazing hillsides then head back to the landy for supplies then backpack through the amazing Harris hills then etc etc ie something I have done for years with minimal human contact...

No luck on either count. Calmac have set out their priorities for carriage on their site. Unfortunately, you did start it. Events have overtaken you. Advice seems to be not to travel. I see that the U.K. government is legislating to force pubs and clubs to shut down because folk aren’t paying attention. Is it possible that we will be as restricted as other parts of Europe?
Wandererssolo
Hill Bagger

Munros:9   
Fionas:1   

Postby rohan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:55 pm

mynthdd2 wrote:my original plan was to park up my landy somewhere on Harris - backpack through the amazing hillsides then head back to the landy for supplies then backpack through the amazing Harris hills then etc etc ie something I have done for years with minimal human contact...

If you hadn't, someone else would and the problem with your plan is that you aren't alone in wanting to do it. Suddenly we have loads of people laid off from work and looking to survive with minimal expenditure. Camping remotely seems a very attractive alternative. I don't live anywhere as remote as the Harris hills but on a rural walk today that I do often and see no-one, I was constantly meeting people. Another problem is the assumption that you won't pass the virus on as you execute your plan. You can imagine how chuffed the islanders are going to be if someone who believes that they are virus free infects the Calmac staff and thereby put their ferry links (and supply chain) at risk. This could still happen without you and numerous other people heading there but the more people that do the higher the risk.
The amazing hillsides will still be there after this virus has gone. Then the Highlands and Islands will be desperate for visitors and welcome you with open arms. Go then and help the recovery.
rohan

Postby lochlaggan » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:20 pm

Having just returned from the Creag Meagaidh car park and a path walk with young children in fresh air, observing social distancing I've had a total rethink following the Lochaber Mountain Rescue advice.

The car park was at peak summer levels for visitors and it seems time to rethink our individual actions! Yes we all want the freedom of the hills in these challenging times but the huge influx of mobile visitors (camper-vans etc) is not positive for isolated areas as this goes forward in the coming months.

I totally believe in open access to our wild places but in these extraordinary times responsible access and "leaving no trace" has to have responsible lovers of wild Scotland questioning their actions.

My self isolation has begun!
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby madprof » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:44 am

Raynor wrote:There seems to be a general thought process that younger people will be fine. The worldwide data doesn't support this however. There are reported deaths in all age groups including children. What is most dangerous about that belief though is that younger people are not socially distancing themselves.

I just want to make clear that at no point have I said any particular grouping of the population will be fine. It is a fact that healthy younger people are very likely, should they contract the virus, to live. This does not preclude deaths. Everyone should be socially distancing themselves wherever possible.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby Raynor » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:54 am

lochlaggan wrote:Having just returned from the Creag Meagaidh car park and a path walk with young children in fresh air, observing social distancing I've had a total rethink following the Lochaber Mountain Rescue advice.

The car park was at peak summer levels for visitors and it seems time to rethink our individual actions! Yes we all want the freedom of the hills in these challenging times but the huge influx of mobile visitors (camper-vans etc) is not positive for isolated areas as this goes forward in the coming months.

I totally believe in open access to our wild places but in these extraordinary times responsible access and "leaving no trace" has to have responsible lovers of wild Scotland questioning their actions.

Yes I totally agree. I think everyone is having the same thought process. Thinking outside places will be deserted then turning up to find everyone else has had the exact same idea. I bet all the major mountains were absolutely rammed yesterday. I think everyone needs to have a serious word with themselves and just stay at home for a couple of weeks. That means no hill walking, no going to bothies, no camper vans, no holiday homes etc.

I'm no better. I have to self isolate as I have underlying health conditions and I went fishing to a local reservoir assuming the place would be deserted. Instead, I could barely get parked it was that busy and the paths were just a constant stream of full families and large groups. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. There is something deep in human nature that thinks that rules and advice only applies to other people.
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby CharlesT » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:22 pm

I think it is sinking in. I had to go down to the DIY store this morning, my self isolation involves getting on with my bathroom refit. The car park was fairly busy, seems lots of people are getting on with home jobs too, but inside safe distancing was being observed even in the till queues. Otherwise it was very quiet on the roads and the town was virtually empty.

I would usually be off to the Highlands around this time of year and, checking, it seems the hotels I use are still open. However, I think it would be irresponsible to go now. I'm old enough to be in the at risk category and potentially putting myself in a position where I might need the services of a stretched NHS or, heaven forbid, the rescue services is something I'm not prepared to do. So, I will stay at home, isolated and take care not to become a statistic.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Sgurr » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:21 pm

Went to Kingsbarns beach, near St. Andrews. There is no question of people being a drain on local resources as several thousand students have just been sent home from nearby St. Andrews, but yes, it was like summer. 8 camper vans, only one with Scottish reg....though again Scots might have gone to England to get something like this.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Gareth Harper » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:46 pm

I’m getting a bit confused to be honest. I will follow the guidelines. But on the one hand we are told no non-essential travel. So, say, driving from North Ayrshire to the Tyndrum or Bridge of Orchy hills by myslef – well that would be non-essential travel.

But motorcycle web site Visor Down has spoken with the Cabinet Office today and asked “Can I ride my motorcycle during the Coronavirus lockdown?”

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/can-i-ride-my-motorcycle-during-coronavirus-lockdown
We spoke to the cabinet office press team earlier today, their advice was that while group motorcycle rides would be discouraged, going out for a ride on your own and not interacting with many people would be absolutely fine.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Gimbob » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:56 pm

I've been planning a trip to Glencoe for 6 months in may, being so far away can only get up once or twice a year.
Now looking like I will have to cancel. Beyond gutted but people need to take this seriously and stay home
Gimbob
Mountaineer

Postby CharlesT » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:57 pm

ETtBQiSWoAcj4pS.jpeg

A local's view from Lake Bala. Popular routes and summits in Wales suffering large influx of stupidity.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby lamondo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:09 pm

My view on recent develoments, accounting for the NHS advice, is that a straightforward climb, not to far a distance, is an acceptable activity just now, albeit taking into account social distancing.
lamondo
Mountain Walker

Postby rohan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:49 pm

Gimbob wrote:I've been planning a trip to Glencoe for 6 months in may, being so far away can only get up once or twice a year.
Now looking like I will have to cancel. Beyond gutted but people need to take this seriously and stay home

Glencoe is apparently rammed with campervans at the moment (I don't know how true this is as I am staying within walking distance of home ) If true, no doubt they contributed to some of the food and other shortages due to stocking up before they left home. It is becoming nightmarish and there is going to be trouble ahead. Meanwhile The Daily Hate's guide to where to isolate remotely appears to have disappeared.
rohan

Postby Glengavel » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:23 pm

We were swithering whether to cancel our Easter trip to the Lakes, but the caravan site has pre-empted us by shutting its doors. Wouldn't have been much fun anyway without a pub to go to for a post-Wainwright pint or a restaurant for a bangers and mash. And the fells will still be there for another day.
Went up Dumyat yesterday and there were more people there than there was in Buchanan Street earlier the same day. That;ll be our last trip for a while, I'll be restricting myself to the less than challenging mountains of West Fife. :(
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby al78 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:38 pm

Raynor wrote:
lochlaggan wrote:Having just returned from the Creag Meagaidh car park and a path walk with young children in fresh air, observing social distancing I've had a total rethink following the Lochaber Mountain Rescue advice.

Yes I totally agree. I think everyone is having the same thought process. Thinking outside places will be deserted then turning up to find everyone else has had the exact same idea. I bet all the major mountains were absolutely rammed yesterday. I think everyone needs to have a serious word with themselves and just stay at home for a couple of weeks. That means no hill walking, no going to bothies, no camper vans, no holiday homes etc.

I'm no better. I have to self isolate as I have underlying health conditions and I went fishing to a local reservoir assuming the place would be deserted. Instead, I could barely get parked it was that busy and the paths were just a constant stream of full families and large groups. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. There is something deep in human nature that thinks that rules and advice only applies to other people.

On the other hand, it is possible to enjoy the outdoors with minimal risk. I have just been on a guided walk in beautiful weather where all 12 of us kept separated, close enough to have a conversation, but more than double arm length.

With a bit of thought, it shouldn't be necessary to inprison yourself for months.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion